• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish but comfortable? Possible

lakerwu

Reaction score
Guys

I've gone through plenty of shoes the last few years but always return to the Rockport Northfield as those are the only ones I find comfortable. However, if you check them out, not really stylish shoes

Can anybody give me some advice to try out a few pairs? My budget is $80-$250 but would prefer staying off the higher end

Thx

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, go try on a ton of shoes until you find some that fit as well as the Rockports do. Also, the Rockports are probably cushiony, which means they're very comfortable at first, but as the cushioning compresses, the fit gets a bit looser -- if they're as comfortable at the end of the day as at the beginning, you've got great luck.

Also, I have the same shoe budget as you, but I generally shop more expensive stuff at discounts. I've bought some of the Cole Haans with Nike guts (very comfortable, but again, the cushioning stops bouncing back after about 8 hours) for around $120 -- not great value at that price, IMHO, but better than retail, which is about $100 more.

I also like Allen Edmonds, which aren't as cushiony immediately, but which feel the same hour after hour (if they fit well), but I buy mine as factory seconds from their "shoebank" during sales. Sometimes there's some little aesthetic flaw, but I can live with those for roughly 50% of MSRP.

lakerwu

Reaction score
I'm only out for a max of 8 hours each day - back home by then and out of my shoes. Would cole haans with nike guts be good for that?

kasakka

Reaction score
I'd say a lot of it is getting used to traditional dress shoes that are nowhere near as cushioned as sneakers or more casual shoes. Nowadays I can easily be wearing my shoes 8+ hours a day without discomfort. Not to mention it takes a few days for new shoes to break in during which they can be slightly uncomfortable.

drpablo

Reaction score
Cole haan air stanton, comfortable and waterproof.
The design its not amazing but they are nice.
2906dcc12c1cf05457c755ae53a84ab3.jpg

sinfjotli

Reaction score
For the most comfortable, classic shoes, you best bets are 1) suede, and 2) rubber soles; ideally both :) Any of the shoe makers that you'd read about on this forum make them, check out for example Meermin or Loake given your budget.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Style and comfort.....I don't think they really mix. Just tough it out! My Grandpa was a prize fighter, then a chief petty officer in the navy during WW2 and then when that was over he worked in a mine the rest of his life....

Now of course I am just messing here (all true about my Grandpa though) but really, I think sometimes men should just man up about clothes, look at what women have to go through with things like heels!

I think if you do "tough it out" though you will eventually just get used to it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads