• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stumptown Coffee's step-by-step visual coffee brewing guides

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Dump ground coffee in coffee pot.
2. Put over fire for a few minutes.
3. Strain with teeth.

The perfect campfire coffee.

Seriously, I hate pretentious coffee. The "grind it RIGHT before and brew it perfectly our way or it'll taste like a sewer" crowd annoys me. It's farking coffee. If you don't like the general taste and have to get it prefect to want to drink the stuff, don't bother with coffee.

youngScholar

Reaction score
I don't rinse my filters.

Oops.
ffffuuuu.gif

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aeropress for me. I have a french press, but I prefer the smoothness of the aeropress.

Mr. White

Reaction score
When I was a kid, everybody used percolators and Folger's.

Now I use a Mr. Coffee drip machine and metal filters. It's important to grind the beans coarsely. If ground finely, the sediment passes through the filter and the coffee tastes like dirt. And acts like dirt by offending the intestines.

I prefer a dark roast. Don't like the cereal taste of a light roast. Just my preference.

If tap water is disgusting where you live, you'll pretty much want to use the same bottled water for coffee as the one you drink.

cptjeff, really, we're not making cocoa here. Sediment is easily avoided -- it's just as easy to grind it coarsely as finely. What does a Mr. Coffee cost? Nine dollars at Wal-Mart? A metal filter? Five dollars? No effort at all.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had Nespresso Indrya yesterday and it wasn't too bad, at least not sour to the stomach if you know what I mean.

presence

Reaction score
Some of us do not have the pallet of a billy goat. Some of us think coffee is more than just a meduim for a caffeine injection. If you want a good hamburger, will you go to McDonalds or Five Guy burgers. Get the point Jack.

Originally Posted by cptjeff
1. Dump ground coffee in coffee pot.
2. Put over fire for a few minutes.
3. Strain with teeth.

The perfect campfire coffee.

Seriously, I hate pretentious coffee. The "grind it RIGHT before and brew it perfectly our way or it'll taste like a sewer" crowd annoys me. It's farking coffee. If you don't like the general taste and have to get it prefect to want to drink the stuff, don't bother with coffee.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by presence
Some of us do not have the pallet of a billy goat. Some of us think coffee is more than just a meduim for a caffeine injection. If you want a good hamburger, will you go to McDonalds or Five Guy burgers. Get the point Jack.
I find it funny that in any thread on this forum about anything in particular someone chimes in and says "It's just xyz, why are you being so paranoid and insane about it?" and then calls everything pretentious when that is exactly what this forum is for.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
cptjeff, really, we're not making cocoa here. Sediment is easily avoided -- it's just as easy to grind it coarsely as finely. What does a Mr. Coffee cost? Nine dollars at Wal-Mart? A metal filter? Five dollars? No effort at all.

The 'coarse' or 'fine' bit doesn't bother me. It's the people who insist that coffee absolutely has to be fresh ground RIGHT before you make it, or put in some special contraption who's only advantage seems to be that the masses don't use it that bugs me.

Really, it's the larger attitude around coffee lately. Unlike many, I actually like the taste of the stuff. In many various forms. Yeah, some is better, true. But the whole pretension that often surrounds a rather simple drink really grates at me. The elements are simple: a bean with chemicals and hot water that leaches them out. And the way many people act, some methods of getting the chemicals out of the bean aren't good enough, and it seems, at least to me, that it's not all about the quality of the coffee so much as it is about proving how superior you are to those mainstream folk.

And of course there's the "I hate coffee, but I love sugar" crowd buying milkshakes at starbucks. But that's really not the issue.

For the record, I use a 12 cup Mr. Coffee, and whatever coffee I go for at the supermarket (currently a dark roast Sumatra that claims to be fair trade). I get it pre ground, and use paper filters, which are less of a pain to clean, and I don't make coffee enough to justify a fancy metal one.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been making coffee using the single cone method for years. I never knew I was so "artisan".
laugh.gif
Actually, even though I don't like the pretense, it usually tastes much better doing some of this stuff. Just letting the water cool off a bit before pouring will help. And grinding right before making is a good idea. As is using the freshest coffee you can get, i.e. find the newest "roasted on" date. Coffee can sit in a warehouse or shelves for up to 3 months and it goes stale quick.

Mr. White

Reaction score
The 'coarse' or 'fine' bit doesn't bother me. It's the people who insist that coffee absolutely has to be fresh ground RIGHT before you make it, or put in some special contraption who's only advantage seems to be that the masses don't use it that bugs me.

For the record, I use a 12 cup Mr. Coffee, and whatever coffee I go for at the supermarket (currently a dark roast Sumatra that claims to be fair trade). I get it pre ground, and use paper filters, which are less of a pain to clean, and I don't make coffee enough to justify a fancy metal one.

Truth is, I get disgusted at myself when I forget to buy paper filters and miss out on my morning coffee. The simple solution was to buy a metal filter once and just put up with tapping out the grounds onto newspaper.

I go through a bag pretty slowly too. Slowly enough that I notice the loss of aroma as the bag empties. That convinced me to expose less surface area to the air by grinding as I use them. Parker has a good point about going stale. I've heard people say that about tea as well.

Really, it's the larger attitude around coffee lately. Unlike many, I actually like the taste of the stuff. In many various forms. Yeah, some is better, true. But the whole pretension that often surrounds a rather simple drink really grates at me. The elements are simple: a bean with chemicals and hot water that leaches them out. And the way many people act, some methods of getting the chemicals out of the bean aren't good enough, and it seems, at least to me, that it's not all about the quality of the coffee so much as it is about proving how superior you are to those mainstream folk.

Well I can't argue with that. It's just plain good manners to offer your guests a cup of coffee, and you'll never go wrong with asking a woman coworker if she'd like to go get a cup of coffee. Coffee is too simple to mess up, but the mess-with-you crowd somehow manages to bungle that one, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads