• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Our first real smoker is a Cook Shack. Still my #1 for brisket. They have forums, and while they're dead these days, were very active a decade ago. Here's a brisket recipe and it's still what I model my brisket smokes on. This is based on a 10# packer's being smoked in a Cook Shack. Adjust for weight and the idiosyncrasies of your smoker.

Marinade
½ cup orange juice
½ cup coke
1-½ tbsp. fresh ground black pepper
1-½ tbsp. celery salt
1-½ tbsp. cinnamon
1-½ tbsp. sea salt
1-½ tbsp. garlic pepper
1-½ tbsp. oregano

Place the brisket and marinade in a pan and cover with plastic wrap. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
Remove the brisket from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature.

Rub
1-½ tbsp. fresh ground black pepper
1-½ tbsp. celery salt
1 tbsp. chili powder
1-½ tbsp. sea salt
1-½ tbsp. garlic pepper
1-½ tbsp. oregano

While the brisket is coming to room temperature, apply rub. Smoke-cook at 225 degrees F for 12 hours with ½ hickory and ½ oak wood. Turn smoker temperature control to 150 degrees F.

Finishing Sauce Rub
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 c. honey
1/8 c. orange juice
1/8 c. ketchup

Remove the brisket from the smoker and place on a piece of aluminum foil large enough to wrap the brisket. Pour finishing sauce over the brisket. Wrap securely.

Place in smoker for 1 hour at 150 degrees F.
Remove brisket from smoker and open the foil to let steam escape. Let rest for 20 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain of the meat. Baste and serve with accumulated juices.

Gratuitous pics of my Cook Shack in action. Set up in our ramada/outdoor kitchen and I always put a cardboard box down just in case the drip pan overflows from a brisket as it drains out of a little hole in the bottom of the smoker. In case you're wondering that stainless steel in the upper right is the speed rack for our integrated ice bin/condiment caddy insert.

C9CF973C-9223-4CA3-9C8A-A327C8C2E1A8.jpeg
F7735B75-C542-4608-B7F3-F9D227ABC285.jpeg

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worked out really, really well. Ended up about 192 in the end, and about 3.5 hours on the egg. Lost some juiciness on the bottom since it was over the charcoal. There is a lot of forgiveness since the fat cap is so thick. Having it tied up was very helpful, as soon as I cut the strings it fell apart. Bonus you can hook onto a string to move it easier.

By the way, what are the best heat and fat resistant BBQ gloves out there? I see some of the rubber ones, but figured you guys have done the R&D already.

Thank you.

DL-

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suede welder's gloves. There are a million on Amazon at < $20. The longer the better -- 15" will protect more or less all the way up to the elbow.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What temp and time did you end up doing the sous vide at?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nice wangus. TWSS!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My new sous vide (the old trusty one decided it was done responding to my bullshit button pushes) only works through an app. It's a bit of a pain **********. FWP

I’ve never heard a more first world problem.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Porchetta prep is done. Butterflied piob style, scored meat on inside, lemon juice, parsley, rosemary, oregano, lemon zest, hot pepper flake, fennel seed, salt, and pepper. Then rolled, tied and salted. Now in fridge, uncovered, for 2 days until Saturday cook.

One problem. Butcher ordered me a belly with no skin as far as I can tell. Just fat cap.

Please tell me this will still work, albet without the crispy pork skin?

View attachment 1191766 View attachment 1191767 View attachment 1191769 View attachment 1191770
I’d love to see some cooked photos.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The two end burners are on medium with the middle one off. Nice, indirect heat. Will go about two hours then turn them off and the rear IR burner on to crisp.

5023A854-B172-472B-84AD-4767ADDD0CF4.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just turned off the lower burners and turned on the rotisserie burner.

21914821-EFE5-4B3B-A6E9-4FBA9C9C8A9B.jpeg

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking good!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Worked out really, really well. Ended up about 192 in the end, and about 3.5 hours on the egg. Lost some juiciness on the bottom since it was over the charcoal. There is a lot of forgiveness since the fat cap is so thick. Having it tied up was very helpful, as soon as I cut the strings it fell apart. Bonus you can hook onto a string to move it easier.

Thank you.

DL-

When I did this, the pork came out super tender, but zero smoke taste. What about you? I’m thinking of doing the reverse next time, smoke for an hour or two and then sous vide.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I did this, the pork came out super tender, but zero smoke taste. What about you? I’m thinking of doing the reverse next time, smoke for an hour or two and then sous vide.

Ed,

I had a ton of smoke flavor, I think the egg is good for that. I keep the bottom wide open and dampened down to about 1/4-3/8” open at the top. Even a little change at the top can make a big difference.

DL-

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads