• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spring wedding

Sammyman

Reaction score
I'm going to a wedding next April in the Caribbean. Well, actually, it's my wedding. My fiancee doesn't want to do a beach wedding, so no flip flops please
wink.gif
I'm wondering what you folks would recomend that would look elegant yet casual. I want the guests to feel comfortable there and not expect that they have to dress up. I had a look at an Arnold Brandt linen suit and I just thought the fabric was too coarse. Would you recommend cotton or a tropical weight wool? And how about colour? I'd like something I could wear afterwards, so white is out of the question. I was thinking a light khaki perhaps. I haven't done this in years, and the last time I got married I wore tails and a top hat so I need some good advice. Thanks in advance.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Which Island? Not all are the same. I have been to Jamaica over 20 times and my answer would be completely different for there vs. Nevis or Martinique.

Sammyman

Reaction score
We're looking at Barbados or St. Lucia at the moment, both places we've never been. Actually, I've only ever been to Cuba and the Dominican Republic so I'm pretty much clueless.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're looking at Barbados or St. Lucia at the moment, both places we've never been. Actually, I've only ever been to Cuba and the Dominican Republic so I'm pretty much clueless.
There's a big differencebetween the Spanish speaking Caribbean and the English one. I know the Spanish one well, having spent a lot of time in Cuba, the DR and PR. Spanish Caribbean tends to be much dressier. The English parts I've been to Jamaica, Trinidad, Grenada, St. Thomas, St. John's, and also been to Aruba, Curacao, St. Martin, etc. What I've seen is that the code is big time casual. I think white or cream linen would work well on those islands. Myself I am going to a wedding in the DR in July, and we are asked to wear white, so I am doing a white linen shirt with khaki colored chinos.

Curious, are you a US citizen? If so, how did you pull off (legally anyway) Cuba?

Sammyman

Reaction score
I'm Canadian so Cuba is a big vacation destination spot for us. Have to love the cigars.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look for cream linen, and thankfully I have a good bit of time to shop or have one made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads