• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport coat sleeve alteration on Loro Piana sport coat

Perplexed

Reaction score
I recently purchased a loro piana cashmere sport coat and had the sleeve length altered. The last button is now less than one half inch from the sleeve end and it is not operable like the other ones. Is this acceptable? I've been told I should not accept this by other tailors. Thoughts?

Perplexed

Reaction score
Off the rack the button is 1.5 inches from the end and button is operable. They altered from the sleeve end Rather than removing the full sleeve and shortening from the top. Is this "normal"?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Off the rack the button is 1.5 inches from the end and button is operable. They altered from the sleeve end Rather than removing the full sleeve and shortening from the top. Is this "normal"?

did you TELL them how you wanted it altered???

Perplexed

Reaction score
No. I assumed they knew the proper way. My question was is what they did considered acceptable for this type of coat. I was told by another tailor that what they did was totally unacceptable. I'm seeking other opinions from those who may have experience with this.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Since the bottom buttonhole (closest to the bottom edge) is not cut thru and not operable, ask to have it removed and a buttonhole made above the others. You regain your spacing to the first buttonhole and that's why they don't cut all the buttonholes.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you bought the jacket with a few functional buttons and a few or one non-functional buttons? I've never seen this. Regardless, simply shortening without adjusting the buttons was a pretty poor move unless they discussed it with you. If for some reason what I said before is actually true (the lowest buttons being non-functional), you can luckily move it like Despos said. Regardless, it was a poor move by the tailor but oddly it is fixable.

Perplexed

Reaction score
Sorry, maybe I'm not making myself clear. The bottom button was functional before tailoring but now it is not due to the way the sleeve end was stitched. Removing it will then show an opening with no button. No one has commented on how near the last button should be from the end of the sleeve. Is there an acceptable spacing? Thanks for your input.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the bottom button should be an inch and a half to an inch and three quarters from the bottom of the sleeve.
you can bring the bottom of the sleeve back down to the proper spacing.
then have the sleeve shortened from the top.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have seen everything from 3/4" to 1 1/2", it's arbitrary to the maker. You have to decide what looks right to you.

If they didn't offer to shorten the sleeve from the top, it may be that they are not skilled to do it or don't want to take on such a labor intensive job. You want to discuss options without assuming they will know or want to do what you may think is the right thing to do. Tell them what you were expecting and see what they say.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sorry, maybe I'm not making myself clear. The bottom button was functional before tailoring but now it is not due to the way the sleeve end was stitched. Removing it will then show an opening with no button. No one has commented on how near the last button should be from the end of the sleeve. Is there an acceptable spacing? Thanks for your input.

A bit confusing explanation, maybe a picture would clarify what you are trying to say

Perplexed

Reaction score
Thanks that's what I thought. I will go back to them with my concerns. I think I assumed a high end men's clothier would do the proper thing with a cashmere jacket costing over $4000.....

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why did it have functional buttons before you adjusted the sleeves if it was a $4000 jacket? Seems odd.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Have seen everything from 3/4" to 1 1/2", it's arbitrary to the maker. You have to decide what looks right to you.
If they didn't offer to shorten the sleeve from the top, it may be that they are not skilled to do it or don't want to take on such a labor intensive job. [COLOR=FF00AA]You want to discuss options without assuming they will know or want to do what you may think is the right thing to do. [/COLOR]Tell them what you were expecting and see what they say.

That^^. Don't assume that a "high end" tailor working on a "high end" piece will read you mind.
Say this next time:
"I want to shorten the sleeves 1/2" from the shoulder. Can you do that and how much?"
:teach:

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The bottom button was functional before tailoring but now it is not due to the way the sleeve end was stitched.

If it was functional before tailoring then I see no reason it shouldn't still be functional after tailoring. The distance to the end of the sleeve can't be helped though, as you cannot move a functional buttonhole, and it's reasonable for them to shorten from the end unless you specifically ask for them to shorten from the shoulder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics