• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport coat fit advice

jmo84

Reaction score
Hello there. I've read quite a bit on this forum and other places about proper jacket fit for suits and sport coats. I recently bought a sport coat from Combatant Gentlemen and, since I'm still developing my eye for fit, I thought I'd get some advice from those of you with more experience. I have a few reservations with the fit myself, but I'd like to get your take

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm always hesitant to say anything about fit from online pictures, since there is only so much that you can tell, but at first and fast glance I would say that thye jacket looks a bit snug in the torso, and that the angle or the arm might not be perfect for you.

cloven

Reaction score
holy.. that's an awesome fit for "off the rack"! The only suggestion I would make is to get the sleeves shortened a little bit to show your shirt cuff. I'm guessing that it's a little tight around the shoulder area right now. This is a problem I experience as well, with broader shoulders and a slimmer waist (when you make the motion as if you were to hug someone, it feels restrictive?) That may go away depending on the quality of the jacket. If it is fused, it won't, if it's half canvassed, then the more you wear it the more it will break in and be more comfortable on your body.

jmo84

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. The sleeves are actually a good length, I just forgot to unbunch them when I put the jacket on. I was in too much of a hurry to get the post up. According to the folks at Combatant Gentlemen, the coat is half-canvassed. My two concerns with the jacket were that I thought the shoulders might be a little too long as the seam comes out about a half inch beyond my shoulder bone. Also, the button looked a little high and it sits at about my first rib, rather than just above my belly button. I know that judging a fit by pictures is tricky, but I wasn't sure what other option I really had. Maybe I can find some local gurus, but the people at the local men's stores don't know what they are talking about, unfortunately. Thanks again for you replies!

P.S. LA Guy, can you explain what you mean by the angle of the arm? That's not something I've run across in my research. Thanks!

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
P.S. LA Guy, can you explain what you mean by the angle of the arm? That's not something I've run across in my research. Thanks!

The last picture shows some rippling at your tricep area...suggesting the way/position the sleeve attaches to the shoulder does not work for your build/posture. I actually think it may be because you are rolling your shoulders back and in an unnatural position. The sleeves appear to hang clean in picture 3 but like LA Guy mentioned, it's hard to tell from online pictures. I also have to agree with Cloven, the sleeves appear to be too long.

Last edited:

Alpha11

Reaction score
From what I can tell you need the sides let out a bit and maybe reset the button as well. The pull on the vent tells me the waist is your real issue. Additionally, be careful with the term full or full canvas as that is only half the story. You want to know "how it is canvas and the material that is used. Example would be horse hair used and if it fused or not.

jmo84

Reaction score
Are these issues things a good tailor could take care of or should I consider returning it? Thanks.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are these issues things a good tailor could take care of or should I consider returning it? Thanks.
The sleeves can be shortened easily, and a competent alterations tailor should be able to let out the waist a little.

The buttoning point is high, but it appears to be the style. Whether you like that or not is your choice.

The angle of the arm is extremely difficult to fix. That would be my main concern, but on the other hand, some of the pictures shows a great fit on the arm pitch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads