• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spier and McKay Casual Oxford shirts

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I bought a few of these shirts just because they were in the sale and the colours plugged the gap in my Oxford Cloth collection which otherwise is entirely Drakes (with a couple of Uniqlo).

The first thing I noticed is that the cloth feels very different from the other Oxford cloth shirts I own. Much stiffer and less soft. I can understand that maybe I shouldn't expect a $60 shirt to feel like a $250 Drakes shirt but I was expecting that it would at least match up to the Uniqlos.

I guess my question is does anyone else have them and do they get a bit softer and more slubby with age? Trying them on after the shirts I'm used to wearing it feels like I'm wearing a starched shirt which obviously isn't what anyone wants from their Oxford shirts.

S&M shirt on the right, next to a Drakes that I was using to compare the feel:

PXL_20231106_220641878.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to that specific shirt fabric, but there are definitely some heavier oxford fabrics that take a while to break in with wear and washing. If you like it otherwise, give it a chance.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Thanks. I am hoping it will improve with a few washes, and will wear one of the shirts to see what happens. I'll keep the others in their packaging so they can be more easily resold, if it doesn't work out with this one!

How is the fit? As I said, it felt a bit tight when I first put it on but I'm hoping it will loosen up as the material softens. They are cut short to be worn untucked (main reason I bought them, as none of my other Oxfords are) and I think I'm just as likely to wear them unbuttoned as a light layer.
PXL_20231107_162652184.jpg
PXL_20231107_170136064.jpg
PXL_20231107_170056258.jpg

GaiusM

Reaction score
Take pictures with your hands out of your pockets. It is hard to gauge otherwise.

GaiusM

Reaction score
Too tight in the body. Lots of pulling at the buttons, especially the bottom buttoned one.
Material softens over time but IME the overall fit does not change. I would resell and size up or switch brands

rjc149

Reaction score
I own two OCBD's from S&M. The fabric does break in and soften with wear and washing. While I've noted no shrinkage (I always hang dry them), they don't stretch out either. They are 15.5 contemporary fit, and I like them. My only gripe is that the cuffs are too snug, but it doesn't make them unwearable. I usually wear them with the cuffs unbuttoned.

S&M shirts run slim, and I've found that sizing up doesn't always solve the issue. This is especially the case with their shirts sized in S/M/L -- I'm 5'10 165 lbs and essentially a template for M sizes, but S&M's M shirts are always too tight on me, and their L's are usually too roomy. S&M is good stuff if you can dial down the fit and that's proven to be a bit of a hassle in my experience.

Unless you've never touched a barbell in your life or subsist on 1500 calories a day, I would avoid anything of theirs in slim fits if you have the option, and default to sizing up on their shirts.

rjc149

Reaction score
Too tight in the body. Lots of pulling at the buttons, especially the bottom buttoned one.
Material softens over time but IME the overall fit does not change. I would resell and size up or switch brands
Reselling S&M stuff has proven to be more trouble than it's worth for me. Their clothing is already value-priced, and the hassle of shipping something to take $15-20 off your loss isn't a good use of time. I suggest simply donating it to charity or giving it to a friend.

Switching brands might be the best solution -- S&M's fits don't work for everyone.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
May I ask which S&M shirt this is? I'm intrigued by the shorter hem. I've always thought S&M shirts were only cut to be tucked in.
It's called the casual Oxford and is specifically designed to be worn untucked according to their site.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads