• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers - Multi-Purpose

jasperdiego

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've been browsing StyleForum for some time now, and am just getting into the swing of updating my wardrobe in line with the ideas around here. Most of my clothes are pretty crap - the usual pre-StyleForum diesel collection and so on. Anyway, onto my question:

I've got a nice pair of dark brown suede Chelsea boots, but I need another pair of shoes for: going out at night (swap with boots); basketball; and hopefully a bit of running.

The obvious answer would be to get different shoes for different purposes, but I'm a student and don't want all sorts of different shoes to be dragging around to and from University. Also, I've got pretty big feet (11-12 UK - 11.5 - 12.5 US), and I'm worried that slim jeans (soon to get some Dior 19cm I think - love the stacking) will look bad when partnered with 'flat' trainers like Converse/Springcourt etc. Clown feet and so on.

I'm not very keen on normal Puma/Adidas/Nike/NB trainers - most notably because when I go out, I'm normally wearing a fancy belt and a nice formal shirt (Zegna, Gap, Boss (yes, some of their shirts fit ok), and Reiss). Pairing these up with some Samba's or Puma's doesn't sound very nice!

I've found these, which I'm pretty keen on. I know they are expensive, but that's not a big concern. What do you StyleForum people think?

Do you think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get some separate sports shoes and fancy trainers?

If so, any suggestions on the latter?

I've liked some of the stuff coming out of Puma Mihara over the past few years, but it's a bit pricey! Call me a snob, but I'm generally not too fond of stuff like Vans slip-ons, Converse, and so on. I haven't got the whole really skinny thing going either - which the latter type of shoes tend to look best on.

Obviously I would generally wear jeans over the high-tops, but if I'm feeling a bit young and pairing it with a crazy t-shirt might wear under.

p11464863_ph_hero.jpg

http://www.eluxury.com/browse/produc...SectionID=6000

knownastron

Reaction score
I really can't think of anything that is multipurpose AND looks good...

Anything trainer/runner would look to sporty with anything you wear... So... get two pairs of shoes? And when you get athletic shoes, get shoes for their performance and don't just get the nicest shoes.

I personally think if your doing something active it shouldn't matter how you look. Plus can you really look good if your hairs all messed up and your sweating like a pig? Haha my two cents.

jasperdiego

Reaction score
Ok - yeh when it comes to athletic shoes, I'm obviously going to be choosing largely on performance.

I suppose the question is more cloesly about nice trainers that one can wear with formal clothing, and that wont look silly (size 12) with skinnier jeans. The one's I posted I thought were fairly swish, but also wouldn't look too stupid because of the detail and shape.

green

Reaction score
I'd just get two pairs of shoes. The Asics Ultimate 81are great for running, but maybe not so much for basketball. Also, they won't look too big with skinny jeans, because my feet are size 14 and they still look fine on me.

jasperdiego

Reaction score
Tiger's are just a bit boring. And I'm not sure how good they'd look as part of a swish formal shirt, nice belt, dark jeans sorta thing. They are very nice for more casual stuff though, I'm aware.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're choosing on performance, you're buying one pair of shoes to play basketball, and one pair of running shoes. If you're interested in maintaining that performance, you're going to have to restrict yourself to wearing one pair of shoes only to play basketball and one pair of shoes only to run - and buying a third pair of shoes to drink in. Any other plan leaves you on the streets of Durham on a Friday night, screwing up shoes you need to support you while playing.

If you're looking to stack jeans over a size 12, you're going to look best in a shoe with length or weight to it - something long and narrow, or boots.

And I'd ask Connemara whether the shoes you posted were fairly swish. He's good like that.

Originally Posted by jasperdiego
Ok - yeh when it comes to athletic shoes, I'm obviously going to be choosing largely on performance.

I suppose the question is more cloesly about nice trainers that one can wear with formal clothing, and that wont look silly (size 12) with skinnier jeans. The one's I posted I thought were fairly swish, but also wouldn't look too stupid because of the detail and shape.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you're going to find something thats good at everything, might as well just suck it up and get a couple pairs. Those Y3 would look terrible dressed up IMO. If anything, you should be looking at more plain sneakers (i.e. Common Projects), or maybe some of the stuff the runway brands put out (since they love to pair dress clothes with sneakers :p)

hchamp

Reaction score
Adidas Superstars were actually worn by NBA players, many, many years ago. Get them in black and you can wear them with jeans and at night, maybe no-one will notice you've got gym shoes on.

PS I was in a shoe store a while back and stopped to look at some Superstars. A young sales guy came over and started telling me what a great shoe it was. I agreed and said I bought mine more than 20 years ago, and that "Kareem used to wear them". He gave me a blank stare and said, "who?"! I looked at him funny and said, "never mind". How can someone not know Kareem Adbul-Jabar?

green

Reaction score
Creative Recreation's Cesario Hi and Dicoco are both high tops which are good for basketball but still look nice to dress up. Maybe get those and a pair of other running shoes.

mongo615

Reaction score
If you're going to spend Y-3 money, go with a CP achilles mid or low--they're much more understated, or an Umbro vulcanized or(don't say it!!??!!) some Stan Smiths--they're more 'show than go' but I hope you weren't seriously planning on hooping or running in those Y-3s--they're in the same league.
smile.gif

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adidas Superstars were actually worn by NBA players, many, many years ago. Get them in black and you can wear them with jeans and at night, maybe no-one will notice you've got gym shoes on.
I don't think modern Adidas (or Nike, etc.) "classics" are made to the same standards as the originals. I guess some might actually be better for sports (mostly lighter), but I wouldn't wear a pair of current Superstars to ball. I do wear a pair of Lavers to play tennis, and it's a mistake.

PS I was in a shoe store a while back and stopped to look at some Superstars. A young sales guy came over and started telling me what a great shoe it was. I agreed and said I bought mine more than 20 years ago, and that "Kareem used to wear them". He gave me a blank stare and said, "who?"! I looked at him funny and said, "never mind". How can someone not know Kareem Adbul-Jabar?
Maybe you should've said Lew wore them?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bite the bullet and get two pair. I can't think shoes I'd want to play hoops in that would look good with "a fancy belt and a nice formal shirt".

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I also feel bad for people wearing superstars, chuck all stars, dunks, vintage jordans and other stuff like that to actually play basketball in. To the person who reccomended that; do you actually play basketball? I wouldn't step near a basketball court in anything but basketball shoes or cross trainers if i absolutely have to. I think the general consensus is to just get more than 1 pair of shoes. It's hard to dress up a shoe that gets beaten up from playing sports.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Maybe you should've said Lew wore them?

Who?
smile.gif

You may be right. The classics I have now I didn't own 20 years ago, and vice versa. So I can't speak to their comparative quality. Otoh, a lot of the "technology" that we take for granted now wasn't available to athletes 20 years ago. I remember how "primitive" the early Nike running shoes were compared to the newer stuff. So I wouldn't be surprised if the classics are basically the same as what the last generation used, if not better. For example, I was checking out some New Balance 595's yesterday, and compared to those Nikes, they were much sturdier, especially in the rear-foot and heel counter. I think NB has put a lot of their latest running shoe knowhow into their classics.

Whatever the case, what I can tell you is that I played roundball in my Superstars (years ago!). And ran track on shoes that resemble the Pumas that are popular streetwear now (not the bicycle shoes). Didn't hurt my feet. They didn't know any better.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I also feel bad for people wearing superstars, chuck all stars, dunks, vintage jordans and other stuff like that to actually play basketball in.

You prolly wouldn't believe it if I told you people used to watch black and white CRT TVs, and drive to the market in horse and buggies, or wage war with bows and arrows. But it's true. That's what technology does for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics