• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

msimon

Reaction score
I am however struggling with the cost of the crown Northampton's and maybe need some reassurance of the quality and reasoning why not to buy two pairs of say Fred Perry/Ralph Lauren shoes?
Yeah especially with the aus dollar to pound conversion is terrible.

For me it was about longevity and quality. not falling for that throw away consumerism culture we have with big name brands. Just like what KOz has said its diminishing returns, but for me it was never about the money because most of the time I live in sneakers so I invested in my enjoyment of having them.

rjc149

Reaction score
I find myself being to hot in chinos also, I am from England originally so most of the year in Brisbane I get quite hot in long pants.
I’ve never been to Australia but I would imagine that like most hot climates, the evenings are somewhat cooler and if we are talking about attire for evenings out, I still think you have options besides shorts, and definitely besides $400 leather dress sneakers, if you’re trying to look elevated.
You’re essentially asking how to strike a balance between ultra-casual and dressy. Maybe $400 dress sneakers allow you to achieve that balance, but most of us are going to deem them mutually exclusive. Either you want to be dressy and elevated, or you want to wear shorts. And wearing regular sneakers with shorts is perfectly fine, because you’re wearing shorts.

$400 dress sneakers are a fad and a frivolous expenditure, and personally I think both their form and function are dumb, but if nothing else is suitable for the look you’re going for, get ‘em. If I started noticing wear on the soles of a $400 pair of disposable shoes that can’t be resoled, that would bug the **** out of me.

msimon

Reaction score
Your all reading the post wrong. The OP doesn't want to dress up, just simply elevate an already casual outfit. Not everyone wants that classic mens wear or ivy league look.

In my opinion dress sneakers don't exist, never has. That's been fabricated.

Do correct me though.

Reaction score
I’ve never been to Australia but I would imagine that like most hot climates, the evenings are somewhat cooler and if we are talking about attire for evenings out, I still think you have options besides shorts, and definitely besides $400 leather dress sneakers, if you’re trying to look elevated.
You’re essentially asking how to strike a balance between ultra-casual and dressy. Maybe $400 dress sneakers allow you to achieve that balance, but most of us are going to deem them mutually exclusive. Either you want to be dressy and elevated, or you want to wear shorts. And wearing regular sneakers with shorts is perfectly fine, because you’re wearing shorts.

$400 dress sneakers are a fad and a frivolous expenditure, and personally I think both their form and function are dumb, but if nothing else is suitable for the look you’re going for, get ‘em. If I started noticing wear on the soles of a $400 pair of disposable shoes that can’t be resoled, that would bug the **** out of me.

The shorts I wear aren't ultra casual and yes in the evening it is somewhat cooler but emphasis on the word "somewhat".

Reaction score
Your all reading the post wrong. The OP doesn't want to dress up, just simply elevate an already casual outfit. Not everyone wants that classic mens wear or ivy league look.

Do correct me though.

Glad to see someone can see beyond their own style, thank you for your help you are of course correct.

I want to turn my smart casual outfit slightly more to the smart side. The loafers would achieve that for sure but they're really not my style without getting derogatory.

rjc149

Reaction score

Do correct me though.
This sounds like a semantic disagreement on what to call a $400 pair of leather sneakers intended to fill the role of dress shoes.

rjc149

Reaction score
Glad to see someone can see beyond their own style, thank you for your help you are of course correct.

I want to turn my smart casual outfit slightly more to the smart side. The loafers would achieve that for sure but they're really not my style without getting derogatory.
Where we differ here is whether a smart-casual outfit can feature shorts. In my opinion, no. But I’m not familiar with Australian social culture— it’s possible that given the climate, shorts are simply a must and the foundation of any non-professional outfit.

In which case, I still think $400 leather “elevated” sneakers are dumb. If only sneakers will do, just wear sneakers. But it’s your money.

msimon

Reaction score
This sounds like a semantic disagreement on what to call a $400 pair of leather sneakers intended to fill the role of dress shoes.
Yes, within your own rules of dress code.

It's a luxury, it makes no sense why I should buy $400 sneakers which could get me some very nice dress shoes. At the end of the day I'm not here to push my or your ideology onto those who do not want it.

I'm here to facilitate the needs of the 3rd person regardless of my or your belief with options that suit them and them alone.

rjc149

Reaction score
Yes, within your own rules of dress code.

It's a luxury, it makes no sense why I should buy $400 sneakers which could get me some very nice dress shoes. At the end of the day I'm not here to push my or your ideology onto those who do not want it.

I'm here to facilitate the needs of the 3rd person regardless of my or your belief with options that suit them and them alone.
I don’t think the purpose of this forum is to instruct people on how to get certain clothing items shipped to Australia… yes, the original question was “how/where do I get dress sneakers in Australia” not “what do you all think of dress sneakers.”

I don’t have a productive answer to the actual questions the OP asked, I only have my opinions and advice on dress sneakers and what I feel are vastly superior alternatives that may indeed allow the OP to circumvent his dilemma. But it seems that he’s ruled out any alternative and is set on dress sneakers. In which case, yes, I am unable to facilitate this thread to a productive end.

msimon

Reaction score
I don’t think the purpose of this forum is to instruct people on how to get certain clothing items shipped to Australia… yes, the original question was “how/where do I get dress sneakers in Australia” not “what do you all think of dress sneakers.”

I don’t have a productive answer to the actual questions the OP asked, I only have my opinions and advice on dress sneakers and what I feel are vastly superior alternatives that may indeed allow the OP to circumvent his dilemma. But it seems that he’s ruled out any alternative and is set on dress sneakers. In which case, yes, I am unable to facilitate this thread to a productive end.
The OP already stated they was open to international orders to broaden there choices but found it difficult. Certainly would be easier to find sneakers at home.

I gave the OP a top end luxury choice that I am biased with, because I believe in the company for what there doing and support british manufacturing. If I have overstepped by recommending a brand thats way out of reach of most people without even considering better alternatives, well guilty as charged and I apologise.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always laugh when I see the word "smart" used in conjunction with clothing.

Hurlazza4

Reaction score
I have these. They shipped them here to Australia. Very comfortable and good looking’.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads