• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We've just launched a new gift box set from Barber & Books - Stockholm's most renowned barber. I have actually used their products for about a year or so myself, it's good stuff. Håkan (the owner) has developed this range himself, everything (even the boxing) is made in Sweden. https://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/collections/christmas/products/barber-books

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is it me or EB have really high instep?

It is not you, EB indeed have really high instep.

All Italian shoes have high insteps! Bestetti was the king of the high instep.

Whether actually Italian men have a really high instep or Italian shoemakers/designers are simply fond of the Matterhorn look, I wouldn't know.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

All Italian shoes have high insteps! Bestetti was the king of the high instep.

Whether actually Italian men have a really high instep or Italian shoemakers/designers are simply fond of the Matterhorn look, I wouldn't know.

Many Italian makers wants their shoes to completely close up when lacing, instead of making a "V" like many people are obsessed about.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many Italian makers wants their shoes to completely close up when lacing, instead of making a "V" like many people are obsessed about.

Unfortunately this leaves very little room for error, if the instep is too high the shoe is unwearable.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately this leaves very little room for error, if the instep is too high the shoe is unwearable.

The laces on my black 804 Oxford actually overlapped before I put tongue pads in. :(

But then again my instep is extra low.

insy

Reaction score
Could you provide pictures of it? My cobbler refuses to install tongue pads, arguing they are useless.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you provide pictures of it? My cobbler refuses to install tongue pads, arguing they are useless.

They do certainly help to take up volume, or reduce heel slip. Better than an insole (effecting less of the overall fit), and you don't need a cobbler to install them just do it yourself. The felt version with adhesive on the back work fine.

That being said it would be preferable to just buy a shoe with the proper instep height from the get go.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had never heard this before but it makes perfect sense. I have a pair of Barbaneras on which the leather has been clearly cut to close this way rather than a V. Never really thought about it before...

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently wearing a pair of EB derby boots on 363 mod last. Even as someone with a high instep, I could probably close the quarters completely if I tighten them enough.

lartiste

Reaction score
@Leaves did you noticed, that in Vass GMTO and Vass thread is someone using your photos as ilustration of particular colours?

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78