• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you sir for the advise;appreciate it a lot.There is a side of me that wants to try the Foster since pictures wise it looks quite handsome (and the trees are fantastic) but my love affair with the Dover has been ongoing for the past 7 years

I've handled almost every single split toe in the business, and own over a dozen, and the likes of this new maker (and Saint Crispin's) are second to none. I would also put the G&G Hove and Isham above EG Dover, in terms of build quality and comfort. But some people do prefer the aesthetics of the Dover and I totally get that.

Last edited:

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Leaves for the input.Will carefully consider both options :)

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Nice, so it's Foster & Son, where do their RTW shoes get made now? from your description, do they have their own factory now?

Yes they have their own factory in Northampton. It was the reason I held off until now, before they were outsourced.

Thomas_M

Reaction score
The Danny looks awesome!

Anybody can compare them with Common Projects?
I like Common Projects because they are really slim and clean in the toe area.
Does anybody own both and can provide input?

Cheers

DSC_7699_272ffef6-5743-4ab7-b8a1-557e9e128feb.jpg

RickyTakhar

Reaction score
Must be hand lasted and GYW. Think@leaves hinted at a British maker. Maybe foster and sons?
Should get a prize ?....

@Leaves what was the main driving force for adding to the higher tiers makers? Do F&S offer enough to differentiate from a Lobb?

The shoes look great I must say, I find these lasts appealing as someone from the UK.

WilYa

Reaction score
Should get a prize ?....

@Leaves what was the main driving force for adding to the higher tiers makers? Do F&S offer enough to differentiate from a Lobb?

The shoes look great I must say, I find these lasts appealing as someone from the UK.
I think FS is here to fill the void of PS.
Regardless of the brand name, FS is better and cheaper when comparing to JL.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Briefly owned a pair of F&S (post-manufacturing their own RTW), but the sizing didn't work out. Was impressed by the quality.

Meanwhile I feel like the Quarbaro loafers need a shearling lined version for the ultimate house slippers.

dangerous

Reaction score
I do really think they are extremely well made. The pairs I have handled of F&S is on par with John Lobb. I think St.C got a different aesthetic and that puts them above, but for classic British there's not really anything better. EG got their own style and is slightly above in terms of finishing and leather options, but it all comes down to fit and last shape.

I think the F&S Dover clone lacks the refined last of the Dover, but it seems to be on par. I have only handled a few of the F&S RTW-shoes from the new factory, but damn they are fine. Ridiculous value - I am pretty sure they will rise in price in the future when they take off.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've handled almost every single split toe in the business, and own over a dozen, and the likes of this new maker (and Saint Crispin's) are second to none. I would also put the G&G Hove and Isham above EG Dover, in terms of build quality and comfort. But some people do prefer the aesthetics of the Dover and I totally get that.

Like minds here @Leaves, since I would place the StC as the second best SpTD aesthetically. Undoubtedly superior in terms of construction to the Dover. As you mentioned though, there is just a je ne sais quoi about the Dover's last.

Congratulations about the addition of FS. Met the fellas (Andy and Simon) which were really passionate and excited about this RTW launch and having their own factory. More importantly, the shoes looked absolutely fabulous.

Do not have hands-on experience with the RTW, as I referenced earlier, but do with with their Bespoke (Emiko Matsuda you will be missed). Anyways, Simon mentioned the RTW will use the highest possible grade standard of leather (of course a notch below of Bespoke). They also employ a bunch of truly experienced people at their own factory, which they are ecstastic about.

So again my congratulations! With the new launch of their factory, FS tried to put out a RTW product that could compete with GG, JL, EG. From what I saw, they are right there. At a lower price!!!

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great choice! I have a couple of pairs of F&S boots and custom made house shoes, top quality. Liking the look of those country calf short wings.

knappabn

Reaction score
@Leaves can we get some additional sizing advice? Based on the descriptions on the site, it seems like a half size down from US is the way to go?

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Leaves can we get some additional sizing advice? Based on the descriptions on the site, it seems like a half size down from US is the way to go?

From my experience, yes it is 1/2 size down from your US size. I take an 8.5 in Alden and an 8 in F&S.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads