• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

willsgillen

Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in a Carmina GMTO cap-toe adelaide with scotch grain cap and fixings and matching color calf for the rest of the shoe? I'd be interested in these in dark brown, burgundy or navy (do they have burgundy or navy scotch grain?). I'd prefer Rain last and leather soles.

As an example I've posted a pic of a V-cap I stole from the Vass thread:

armsignet

Reaction score
Good lord those look nice. I love me a good pair of loafers. Curious, do the amount of nails at the toe act as a toe guard?

Yes but not as good as real toe plates.

I wondered the same thing. I like the look, and it seems like it is possibly a DIY job, whereas chiseling the outsole for a sunken tap is not (for me, anyway).

I found this old thread (http://www.styleforum.net/t/329378/brass-nails-used-to-impede-shoe-wear) where DFWII deems brass pegs to be better for shoes than taps. His words:

"But of all the options available to us--iron shoe nails, lasting tacks(brass or iron), maple pegs, etc., even metal or plastic toe plates, the brass nails are the most appropriate and most aesthetic and, simultaneously, the most effective solution yet found."

I believe his points were that removing a significant portion of the sole (for sunken taps) in hopes preserving the sole is illogical, and taps can cause inadvertent damage to the welt because the screw placement for taps is irrespective of the actual shoe design.

Alas, DIY seems out. DFWII said that brass pegs that are appropriate for such a job are very hard to find. Apparently most brass nails/tacks/pegs aren't solid brass, aren't the right length, or do not have the right head size.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, I know.

It's just that it's been 6 months, so I'm ready for the special feel good waiting period to be over already. LOL

I can imagine!

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in a Carmina GMTO cap-toe adelaide with scotch grain cap and fixings and matching color calf for the rest of the shoe? I'd be interested in these in dark brown, burgundy or navy (do they have burgundy or navy scotch grain?). I'd prefer Rain last and leather soles.

beautiful! I love the subtle difference in texture. It is just enough to keep it conservative for business but still has a bit of flair! What last is that on? It looks a bit to chiseled for the F last but not enough for the U last. It is too wide to be the K last.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wondered the same thing.  I like the look, and it seems like it is possibly a DIY job, whereas chiseling the outsole for a sunken tap is not (for me, anyway).

I found this old thread (http://www.styleforum.net/t/329378/brass-nails-used-to-impede-shoe-wear) where DFWII deems brass pegs to be better for shoes than taps.  His words:

"But of all the options available to us--iron shoe nails, lasting tacks(brass or iron), maple pegs, etc., even metal or plastic toe plates, the brass nails are the most appropriate and most aesthetic and, simultaneously, the most effective solution yet found."

I believe his points were that removing a significant portion of the sole (for sunken taps) in hopes preserving the sole is illogical, and taps can cause inadvertent damage to the welt because the screw placement for taps is irrespective of the actual shoe design.

Alas, DIY seems out.  DFWII said that brass pegs that are appropriate for such a job are very hard to find.  Apparently most brass nails/tacks/pegs aren't solid brass, aren't the right length, or do not have the right head size.

This is plausible. I prefer brass nails and I remember this post from DWFII.
Carmina puts one row of nails 4-5 somewhat widely spaced and they do nto seem to provide that much protection.
EG can put two rows of brass nails but these somewhat thin compared to brass nails I have seen from Alfred Sargent

PS we probably should not derail this thread anymore.

member2000r

Reaction score
Sorry, no, these are still not ready. We are receiving Plymouth in Burgundy Pin Grain, Cardiff in Almond CC,some of the Shanklin in Coffee Suede, but not all. And a few single MTOs.
Hope my Westminster in brandy pin grain is not ready yet, really need to recover from a recent big purchase.

kyaw

Reaction score

I am interested in dark brown or burgundy colour. Count me in for GMTO.

kyaw

Reaction score
Burgundy museum? And what last as well?
The other thread with Burgundy museum MTO seems dead in water, even though we are missing just 1 more participant.

I am ok with colour, prefer rain last.

If this or other MTO never materializes, just have to wait for skoat to restock.

mcl911

Reaction score

The other thread with Burgundy museum MTO seems dead in water, even though we are missing just 1 more participant.

I am ok with colour, prefer rain last.

If this or other MTO never materializes, just have to wait for skoat to restock.

Yes sf is quiet these days

armsignet

Reaction score
This is plausible. I prefer brass nails and I remember this post from DWFII.
Carmina puts one row of nails 4-5 somewhat widely spaced and they do nto seem to provide that much protection.
EG can put two rows of brass nails but these somewhat thin compared to brass nails I have seen from Alfred Sargent
PS we probably should not derail this thread anymore.

It's a vendor thread, so why not expound a bit on new options from a new manufacturer on offer?

I am going to try them, but it is good to know that my expectations for reduced wear should be tempered.

You are right, pictures of shoes and descriptions of possible shoes are why we really visit!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics