• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show me how you store your shoes in active rotation

hymo

Reaction score
I wonder what is the best way to store shoes in active rotation? I'd like them protected from dust, but have them well-ventilated to aid with drying, and since they have such highly evolved aesthetics, I would also like them visible if possible.

How do you do it?

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Current rotation shoes are unbagged, unboxed, with trees, on shelves that are an inch taller than the shoes themselves. The low height keeps the dust off.

Out of season shoes are bagged and/or boxed on shelves in a storage closet.

I don't need to see them as I can see the color of the heel and tell the type from the position on the shelf.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do the same. Shoe museum.

Chim12

Reaction score
With trees, unboxed and unbagged, but with the bags laying on top to keep the dust off.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Current rotation shoes are unbagged, unboxed, with trees, on shelves that are an inch taller than the shoes themselves. The low height keeps the dust off.

Out of season shoes are bagged and/or boxed on shelves in a storage closet.

I don't need to see them as I can see the color of the heel and tell the type from the position on the shelf.

This is very similar to my method. Shoes are bagged with trees and placed on shelves.

guster

Reaction score
I bag mine and store on shelves. I can see the back of the shoe so I don't need to take the bag off to retrieve. Pulus I put back in the same spot so I pretty much know what I am grabbing

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4240045440_1bd89b498f_o.jpg
Because these are all in active rotation, I don't have a dust problem. If I were to, a quick touchup with a horsehair brush or old t-shirt would do the job.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Because these are all in active rotation, I don't have a dust problem. If I were to, a quick touchup with a horsehair brush or old t-shirt would do the job.

You seem to love longwings.

But 7 out 10 have no shoetrees? Or you like the antique look?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
You seem to love longwings.

But 7 out 10 have no shoetrees? Or you like the antique look?

Why keep trees in shoes after a day or two?

I keep trees in a pair of shoes for a minimum of two days before switching them out.

But there's truly no need for shoes in 100% of the time, as I understand it.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yikes! no trees?
facepalm.gif
Originally Posted by luftvier

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is no need for trees in shoes just worn after about 2 days. After taht, it's all about lookiing good and serve no useful purpose.

is the leather dry? it should after two days with trees

is the shoe gonna lose its shape if you remove the tree? if yes, stay away from the Payless shoes then.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
there is no need for trees in shoes just worn after about 2 days. After taht, it's all about lookiing good and serve no useful purpose.

is the shoe gonna lose its shape if you remove the tree? if yes, stay away from the Payless shoes then.

I disagree. Look at the creasing on Luftvier shoes without trees. Aside from looking hideous, there is also subtle damage happening. Leather is pliable and tends to keep the shape it is left in. Obviously wearing shoes and walking causes creases but in storage no trees plus gravity is going to deepen and set the creases on his shoes to some extent. Why not reset the proper shape of the shoes with trees and have your shoes creased only when you are walking in them? Think of leather belts: there is a reason that you store them by hanging them or gently rolling them and not by folding them.

What is the extension of this "just two days with trees" logic? Put your suit on a proper hanger for 2 days after wearing and then a dry cleaner's wire hanger for storage?
smile.gif

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is my understanding of it also. But I just like the way my shoes look with trees in them so I store them all with trees. Still need to figure out/build a bigger/better storage system though...they're scattered in a couple different closets and underneath my desk
blush.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You don't need a pair of shoe trees for every pair of shoe? I heard that you need to put shoe trees in shoes after every wear, leave them overnight and take them out in the morning. How true is that?

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
To address the OP, here is my set-up [spring/summer rotation
wink.gif
]:

ForSaleMay2009034.jpg

ForSaleMay2009036.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads