• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I ? Tag heuer watch...

scot

Reaction score
cv2115.fc6185 http://www.authenticwatches.com/taghecacv5.html

No, I am not buying from there it was just the first picture I could easily find. The band looks a thousand times better in person.

What do you all think? Too much? Just enough? I would wear it with my dark suits. Blues, blacks etc. Maybe a dark brown. I don't think it will work right with my grey suits.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of quartz movement ones. I like them a lot for the price.
tags059hs8.jpg

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scot
I would wear it with my dark suits.

I don't like sport watches worn with suits, sportcoats yes, but not suits.

dave

Reaction score
chronos don't mix well with suits as far as i'm concerned. but if you're set on a carrera you should consider maybe one of the white dial versions with a black or brown croc strap.

straps are inexpensive and simple to change and with a white, or even silver dial your options on strap color are wide open. plus you'll save a HUGE chunk of change by not picking the exotic dial.

I would look into a zenith elite, a baume et mercier classima or maybe, for just a bit more money, a JLC master control series (far and away the best piece for the $$). time only watches are my preference with nice suits.

shawndo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Not sure on the band color but at that price I would look at Omega.
I totally agree. In that price range, check out Omega or maybe even Stowa. If you shop around, you can get something used for a really good price. I once got a deal on an IWC spitfire for a little less than that Tag. I just hate Tag for some reason. Maybe I read too much timezone... With a black strap, this is dressy enough:
iwc_spitfire-5.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Although I like how Tag Heuer is churning out nicely designed watches over the past few years, I have to agree that at that price range I'd go for an Omega. Perhaps a Speedmaster Broad Arrow?
32112425002001.gif

scot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Although I like how Tag Heuer is churning out nicely designed watches over the past few years, I have to agree that at that price range I'd go for an Omega. Perhaps a Speedmaster Broad Arrow?

32112425002001.gif

I am not a fan of the omega's. The face, as compared to the carrera line, is busy. The face on the cv2115 carrera is fairly simple, with a nice MOP background. Internally they are pretty much all the same at this point, with the bits sourced from the same people, so I am not sure if quality is a factor. I am also looking at a 30% discount off original list from a local dealer.

While it is a chrono I definitely wouldnt rate it as a "sport" watch. No bezel for dive timing, simple background, simple numbering and a croc hide band etc.

I think the picture is misleading... ugh and I cannot find a good picture of this watch anywhere. The band is not yellow at all like shown in the picture, it is more beige than almond colored. There is no dark striation like shown in that picture. Heck it actually looks close to the color of the MOP.

Buickguy

Reaction score
The Tag is a nice watch. I've never been a fan of chonographs but they do have an adventurous look. Personally, I think that watch with lighter summer suits. The brown suit should be fine. Maybe with the right loafers and a business casual type of look. I'd probably put that with a tan pair of trousers and a cream shirt.
All in all, the Tag should be a good addition to your watch wardrobe.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Internally they are pretty much all the same at this point, with the bits sourced from the same people, so I am not sure if quality is a factor.

That's not correct. Omega is a true manufacture and uses its own calibers, including co-axial and column wheel chronograph. Tag is a marketing company, which in recent years has ventured into the horology innovation world, mostly for press and sensation if you ask me (e.g. their Monaco V4 "concept watch" and their inability to create a marketable version). They have a couple of interesting watches (Carrera 360?) but overall is IMO an overpriced joke of a watch brand. I'd even rather buy a Rolex (which is quite a statement for me...)

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My everyday watch is a TAG Heuer quartz that is approaching its 20th year. I don't have a picture, but the design is basically a knockoff of a Submariner. At this point in its service life, I don't think anything is left of the original but the case.

My practice use to be to pick a watch and wear it for a few weeks until I got bored of it or had a particular reason to change, but because of its pure ease of wear and accuracy, the Heuer has been the standby since last Spring when I first switched to a metal bracelet watch for my daily.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.authenticwatches.com/taghecacv5.html

No, I am not buying from there it was just the first picture I could easily find. The band looks a thousand times better in person.

What do you all think? Too much? Just enough? I would wear it with my dark suits. Blues, blacks etc. Maybe a dark brown. I don't think it will work right with my grey suits.

Aesthetically, this is one of the few TAG Heuer watches that I would actually consider. The ETA movement used in the TAG is basically a 2892 with a chronograph module. It's a decent workhorse, but the Omega pictured actually has a better movement, I believe a 7750 variation with the Co-Axial escapement. It's also significantly bigger and more expensive.

I'm in agreement with GDL that this watch is overpriced at full retail or even 30% off. The movement is ho hum and the case/dailwork is nice, but really not much better than lesser known Swiss or German companies that retail in the 2k bracket (Sinn comes to mind...). All in all, I wouldnt recommend biting unless you really like the watch and can score at least a ~35% discount.

scot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
That's not correct. Omega is a true manufacture and uses its own calibers, including co-axial and column wheel chronograph. Tag is a marketing company, which in recent years has ventured into the horology innovation world, mostly for press and sensation if you ask me (e.g. their Monaco V4 "concept watch" and their inability to create a marketable version). They have a couple of interesting watches (Carrera 360?) but overall is IMO an overpriced joke of a watch brand. I'd even rather buy a Rolex (which is quite a statement for me...)
I agree on the monaco watch, not a fan. As for true manufacturer vs. OEM, I don't really see the issue. They purchase the internal bits from the same place as most others, though evidently not Omega. This does not inherently hurt the watch, as long as the parts are still top quality. I know I saw someone pointing at the real original manufacturer of the caliber 17 internals somewhere (eta 2894, not 2892), but realistically the performance should be similar to the Omega accuracy. The problem I have is that Omega's (seamaster line in particular) look is, well, like my dad's watch. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it isn't the look I am going for. No, I'm not a kid by any stretch of the imagination unfortunately but we all have our rules
smile.gif
Most other brands either have huge dive watches, busy faces, or weird shapes and odd blocks of metal. Not a movado fan, (too simple) nor rolex ($$$). I dunno, tag just hits the right balance in some of their watches, though definitely not all. I like the carrera's simple yet still somewhat elegant and timeless looks. Well most of the carreras at least, I love the tachy models, but they are.. tacky
smile.gif
That plus they are actually wider than my wrists so I have to unfortunately scratch them off the list. Looks strange to say the least. The case on the caliber 17 models is steel, not aluminum like some of the carreras, so it should be a solid and stable watch, able to take day to day use without issue. My Tag Professional model with black background gets me as close to the omega and rolex world as I want. Great watch.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I respect your decision, even if I am in total disagreement. Then again it is you who will wear it. It seems like you have pretty much decided on those Tags, so the only recourse is find the best price for them and wear them in good health!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember coming under flame for complaining about the ubiquity of Tag Heuer watches at the A.Lange & Sohne forum at Timezone.

Apparently some of those people are fans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads