Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I still tip 15%?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by XeF4, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Speaking of waiting, if I feel I'm being held hostage in the restaurant because the server will not bring the check and is no where to be found, then what may have been a 20+ percent tip starts to get reduced very quickly. I've had instances where servers left to go on breaks or even left for the day, but didn't leave anyone responsible for my table.

That's very bad, I wonder how management handled these situations.

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

That's very bad, I wonder how management handled these situations.
    One of the restaurants was Chanterelle in NYC, which has since closed. We heard the server going out the door telling others good night, and then we saw her get into the cab. All the while we sat with no one bothering to stop by the table or bring the check until we complained.

The worse experience I had was when a server tells my table in the midst of our meal that we needed to move to another table because the table was needed for another party. We refused to move only to have the manager come out to insist that we move. We were angry because we had a reservation and was in the middle of the meal. The attitudes of both the server and manager were awful; they weren't apologetic at all, even though the restaurant had seated us. We left the restaurant, and I later notified the corporate office. Corporate followed up with at least two phone calls, a letter, and coupons for free meals. They also informed me that the manager was fired because of this as well as other issues.

3. milosz

milosz Senior member

If my waiter bounced without dropping the check, I'd assume that meant I was eating for free.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

If my waiter bounced without dropping the check, I'd assume that meant I was eating for free.
    Better yet, I'd assume the wait person had picked up my tab and have the place's best port or other dessert wine.

5. intent

intent Senior member

Better yet, I'd assume the wait person had picked up my tab and have the place's best port or other dessert wine.
    That's going to work great when they stop you at the door and call the police.

6. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

You would be surprised how much people can get away with when they're doing something wrong in public. It's the, "I'm sure someone else is calling 911" mentality.

7. samus

samus Senior member

You would be surprised how much people can get away with when their doing something wrong in public. It's the, "I'm sure someone else is calling 911" mentality.

Just ask Kitty Genovese. (side note: I was told once, before moving to the big city, that if I ever needed help I should shout "fire" instead of "police" or "help" - much more likely that people will respond that way).

8. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I just read about Kitty Genovese after the CE thread about the person dying on the sidewalk. How sad.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

That's going to work great when they stop you at the door and call the police.

Yeah, that's highly likely to happen to me. Also highly likely I was just snarking on the Netwebs. Either way, your commentary was certainly a good addition to the threak.

10. B Hamilton

B Hamilton Senior member

I tip 25% at Waffle House cuz i love Waffle House.[​IMG]

11. B Hamilton

B Hamilton Senior member

I find that this to be true amongst the rapper wannabe segment of the black community. When I waited tables I didn't expect much in the way of tips from this group. Regular, working families, however, were always big tippers. So much so that they are overly generous in order to dispell the myth that all black people are cheap.

Also to be fair, I think this comes simply from a lack of education about tipping etiquette. I personally also battle between what the standard is 15-20%. if they aren't tipping at all, fuck em

12. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

just to have a guy open a bottle of wine and bring you some food.

You have answered your own question, Sir.

13. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

If I'm spending $100+ for dinner .. I expect:

1) Solid knowledge of the wine/drinks menu, with good recommendations.
    2) Knowledge of the specials, both food and drinks. Nothing pisses me off more then not being told about drink specials.
    3) My water glass to never be empty.
    4) Appetizers to arrive quickly, and entre's to arrive shortly after appetizers are done.
    5) Not being asked 100 times how everything is. Once when the appetizers are done, and once a few minutes after the entre's arrive.
    6) Cloth napkins.

If you get all that .. 15-20% tip easily. With near perfect service, I'll also go out of my way to tip in cash so the waiter/waitress can pocket it.

14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I tip 25% at Waffle House cuz i love Waffle House.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. milosz

milosz Senior member

If I'm spending $100+ for dinner .. I expect: 1) Solid knowledge of the wine/drinks menu, with good recommendations. 2) Knowledge of the specials, both food and drinks. Nothing pisses me off more then not being told about drink specials. 3) My water glass to never be empty. 4) Appetizers to arrive quickly, and entre's to arrive shortly after appetizers are done. 5) Not being asked 100 times how everything is. Once when the appetizers are done, and once a few minutes after the entre's arrive. 6) Cloth napkins. If you get all that .. 15-20% tip easily. With near perfect service, I'll also go out of my way to tip in cash so the waiter/waitress can pocket it.
    Go fuck yourself. If eating out is really this much of an ordeal for you, learn to cook.