• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

short sleeved shirts...

johninla

Reaction score
i'm seeing the guys from ww chan next week. and i'm thinking of ordering some short sleeved shirts, linen and cotton. i'm thinking of ordering a straight bottom so that the shirts can be untucked. any thoughts on that style, length of shrit, etc.
thanks,
john

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Linen shirts, straight bottom, in light solid colors are classics. I love them. Cotton short sleeved shirts, on the other hand, doesn't really attract me. They always remind me of work uniforms and are not really apt for even casual occasions.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them, especially the blue and white striped straight-bottom style as worn by Sean Connery in Thunderball. I also think a deep navy in cotton or linen would be useful.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johninla
i'm seeing the guys from ww chan next week. and i'm thinking of ordering some short sleeved shirts, linen and cotton. i'm thinking of ordering a straight bottom so that the shirts can be untucked. any thoughts on that style, length of shrit, etc.
thanks,
john

be very specific about sleeve length and width. if they make the sleeve openings too large they'll stick outwards and give you a suburban old man look.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like short sleeved shirts. I have a few of them, and when wearing them I always feel like wearing some kind of security force uniform (maybe the only exception is a linen one with colours that no security force would ever force upon its employees). Also, I guess that part of my bias against short sleeves comes from seeing all these people around here who wear them with their suits, with or without tie, in summer. I prefer the look of a long sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up a bit (like leeving approximately 1/3 of the underarm uncovered).

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
be very specific about sleeve length and width. if they make the sleeve openings too large they'll stick outwards and give you a suburban old man look.

Good point. Also, obviously if the combination of color and material looks like that of a standard dress shirt, it's probably not what you want. If you choose a camp collar, the look will be casual.

vanity

Reaction score
I have big guns so I'm a fan of the short sleeve shirts.

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta

That is what I was going to say. Short sleeved shirts must have a slim arm width or it will look terrible. Also, the shoulder width is important too. If it's too wide, it will ruin everything. I think these are the two main issues why short sleeved shirts rarely look good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads