• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping spree

Reaction score
I treated myself to some new threads this weekend. Thoughts? Especially the paisley shirt. I like it and my girlfriend likes it, but I want other guys thoughts. Also I want opinions on the other stuff as well :)

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aka why "sprees" are bad. Looks like a trip to the outlet mall. The shoes look nice enough, though Bass is dubious. Guess is not quality clothing, and Express is bad quality. Return those shirts. Return the pink tie (don't buy house brand ties from low-end mall-brand stores). If the belt is from Express or Guess, return it. If the jacket is by Express, return it. Higher-quality versions of those items can be found elsewhere for little or no extra money. Socks quality hardly matters, but the purple socks probably are too loud for almost anyone's personal style. The other clothing would be better judged worn in pictures.

Last edited:
Reaction score

I'll admit that I didn't do a thorough analysis, but it just looks like a big pile of shxt to me. It looks like the "returns cart" at a bargain basement store.

Aka why "sprees" are bad. Looks like a trip to the outlet mall. The shoes look nice enough, though Bass is dubious. Guess is not quality clothing, and Express is bad quality. Return those shirts. Return the pink tie (don't buy house brand ties from low-end mall-brand stores). If the belt is from Express or Guess, return it. If the jacket is by Express, return it. Higher-quality versions of those items can be found elsewhere for little or no extra money. Socks quality hardly matters, but the purple socks probably are too loud for almost anyone's personal style. The other clothing would be better judged worn in pictures.

I've always been under the impression that polo and express were nice brands... And express ties arent to cheap... at least for an 18 year old student... What is this equivalent to express yet so much better? Do tell. Also the brown shoes are cole Haans. But the cream are indeed bass

Reaction score
Als

Also the purple socks are blue and pink striped :)

CentralParkMan

Reaction score
I think the previous poster was being a little harsh. There's nothing wrong with Express. I'd wear most of the items you brought except the shoes and the Paisley shirt.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Polo isn't a bad. Express is bloody awful.

I'd wear the seersucker shorts though.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even for someone who is 18, Express should be avoided if there are any decent alternatives available. J. Crew for example is better, though it's slightly more expensive. Where are you? (Oh, duh, it says "Houston.") How wide is the tie? Surely there is something better for about the same price. By the way, if the tie is meant to be worn with the pink, don't do that - too much pink (bright-colored shirt with bright-colored tie usually is bad).

Cole Haan also is a dubious brand. What's your size, and how much did you spend? Again, there might be something better (more durable) for the same price. But for shoes that have already been worn, it's probably too late.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Step 1: Return everything (you can repurchase later if you must)
Step 2: Return here
Step 3: Decide how much you want to spend and what exactly you want to buy
Step 4: Listen to a bunch of guys, who, while they don't know you in any way, shape, or form, actually might have your best interest in mind, and having purchased many items of clothing themselves, devoted many hours to reading about clothing, and, well, really know clothing well, they may be able to help.

Break

Step 5: Buy what you can online (the tie, for example, can be had for higher quality at probably a comparable price).
Step 6: Return to the mall and purchase more intelligently.
6.5 If you don't find something you came in with the intention of buying, don't buy it.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Good advice.

Except for maybe the seersucker shorts, I'd return all of that. There are lots of guys your age here, with similarly limited funds, who make it work without shopping at Express. Spend some time exploring the forum before buying.

Alternatively, If you're not looking to do much research or spend much time on this, then I'd say go somewhere like Uniqlo or Lands' End Canvas. The prices are in the same ballpark but the design is going to be better.

For the record, I do like Polo quite a bit. Just keep away from Express :)

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan and wouldn't wear them personally but thought they were the least offensive item of the bunch.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan and wouldn't wear them personally but thought they were the least offensive item of the bunch.

...sort of like a half-eaten apple on a pile of shxt.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have some J. Crew seersucker shorts (actually not seersucker since they aren't puckered....I guess they are just pinstriped) that get a lot of wear. Boat shoes and a polo or ocbd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads