• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping in Manchester UK

heelguy

Reaction score
Heading over from US for a Man U game in mid-April and was wondering if there are any stores worth checking out. I know Edwards of Manchester closed a few years ago which is too bad. Thanks.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not that I remember, though it's been ages since I lived in Manchester. There's the slightly upscale department stores House of Fraser and Harvey Nichols. The Barton Arcade area where Edwards used to be is a bit of a poor man's Burlington Arcade.

Andy_00

Reaction score
There is a shop in Barton Arcade that is basically the men’s section of Edwards reincarnated (with the same mananger).

Also worth a look is Doherty, Evans and Stott, near to House of Fraser. Stocked with Caruso, Boglioli, Incotex, Crockett and Jones. Very iGent basically. Only problem for me is that none of the clothes seem suitable for anyone taller than about 5ft9".

There isn’t much else of interest beyond standard brands. It’s not in the centre, but worth noting that Private White VC has a factory shop as well.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I went over to catch a match with @Cleav, but Lissom + Muster was about the only place I checked out....and bought my infamous hosiery. I spent the rest of my time on trains going to Northampton to visit the factories with Cleav and to London to see the sights.

Hopefully the Reds manage to score a goal when you're there. We suffered through a 0-0 snoozefest vs the Hammers, but it will still go down as one of the best times of my life. Had seen them plenty of times on US pre-season tours before, but OT was a dream come true.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
Manchester is something of a bleak spot from a sartorial perspective. Most of the locals will either be wearing sportswear, arsefreezer ‘designer’ OTR suits, or old man gear.

The best thing to purchase locally will be a pie.

If, however, you can venture out for just over an hour on the road then the Smedley factory is well worth a visit.

heelguy

Reaction score
Dependent on the game I may be there. Fancy a beer if so? Could show you around, or at least signpost the best places to go... paging @Murlsquirl who came over too, he's got a great hosiery story....

Thanks Cleav. I bought tickets yesterday to the WBA game and then this morning they announced they are switching the game from Saturday to Sunday (which means I need to tinker with my plans since I am flying in and out of Heathrow and taking the train to Manchester). My wife is actually coming with me (not a huge football fan but she wanted to go). I'll be in touch as it gets closer.

heelguy

Reaction score
I went over to catch a match with @Cleav, but Lissom + Muster was about the only place I checked out....and bought my infamous hosiery. I spent the rest of my time on trains going to Northampton to visit the factories with Cleav and to London to see the sights.

Hopefully the Reds manage to score a goal when you're there. We suffered through a 0-0 snoozefest vs the Hammers, but it will still go down as one of the best times of my life. Had seen them plenty of times on US pre-season tours before, but OT was a dream come true.

I picked the WBA game figuring it should be a win (WBA may be officially relegated by then). If my wife wasn't coming with me, I would certainly head to Northampton.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I picked the WBA game figuring it should be a win (WBA may be officially relegated by then). If my wife wasn't coming with me, I would certainly head to Northampton.

Good luck! You never know what you're going to get out of them on the pitch these days.

Buy your wife a pair of C&J...that's how Cleav keeps the missus happy when he comes home with boxes of shoes ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads