• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes in Tokyo

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the Isetan shoe store. They EG and a ton of other brands.

For JM Weston, there is a JM Weston store in Aoyama, near Harajuku.

why18

Reaction score
http://www.wfg-net.com/about.html
A few stores and if you are lucky to find them having sales.
08.jpg

Managed to get hold of the side-laced Union Imperial last year during the sales for about $250.

Check out also the brand Scotch Grain. They have a factory outlet store at Gotemba Outlet village. Most shoes are between $250-$400.

Agree with the rest Isetan has good range of men's shoes - so is Takashimaya (Shinjuku)

rickimky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy
I currently live in Singapore. If you've been here, you'd understand why I am asking
smile.gif

I share your pain Aleeboy.

But are you sure you really want to go all the way to Japan and spend 500 bucks and end up with a pair of loafers that isn't considered top(or mid-)-tier? Might as well spend it on B&S or order online. But I guess if you really want to get a pair in Japan for the sake of it, I'd agree with Gazman and say Regal (sounds way cheaper than what they sell here at Isetan Singapore).

why18

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rickimky
agree with Gazman and say Regal (sounds way cheaper than what they sell here at Isetan Singapore).

What you see in Isetan Singapore, are stuffs now in the factory outlets of Regal and price cheaper. However having said that, I think Isetan (Scotts) is selling the Regal shoes (selected model) at discount between 30-50% right now( as of Friday when I was there).

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why18
What you see in Isetan Singapore, are stuffs now in the factory outlets of Regal and price cheaper. However having said that, I think Isetan (Scotts) is selling the Regal shoes (selected model) at discount between 30-50% right now( as of Friday when I was there).

I will go and have a look at th quality of these Regal shoes. Funnily, in Korea they have a Regal brand which is retailed through Kumkang. They are probably different as the one's in Korea are made in Italy.

Why19, fo you have direct experience with the Regal brand that Isetan stocks?

Milkcansan

Reaction score
I have experience with Regal. Bought one long wing at Isetan at 30% discount. Leather is corrected grain and with rubber sole. goodyear welted though. now it is the shoe I wear when I visit my customer's factories (steel mills, paper mills, cement mills). need minimum maintenance.

I think Regal have a better range but it is not available in Singapore. Either the fashion buyer is someone is a douche who like corrected grain stuff or he feels the better range stuff have no market in Singapore thus all the lower range stuff.

I used to stay in Japan. 500 dollars is not a lot of money. Stick to the Japanese brands which are pretty decent. Foreign brands like Alden cost a lot more (minimum 70000 yen = over 1000 SGD). Try Trading post. my advice

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milkcansan
I have experience with Regal. Bought one long wing at Isetan at 30% discount. Leather is corrected grain and with rubber sole. goodyear welted though. now it is the shoe I wear when I visit my customer's factories (steel mills, paper mills, cement mills). need minimum maintenance.

I think Regal have a better range but it is not available in Singapore. Either the fashion buyer is someone is a douche who like corrected grain stuff or he feels the better range stuff have no market in Singapore thus all the lower range stuff.

I used to stay in Japan. 500 dollars is not a lot of money. Stick to the Japanese brands which are pretty decent. Foreign brands like Alden cost a lot more (minimum 70000 yen = over 1000 SGD). Try Trading post. my advice

I would have to say that I got the shock of my life when I arrived in Singapore. The range of products available are appalling. The people are very poorly dressed as well. Can't blame them though... every store is a fashion label and every shppoing centre has the same stores.

I have a feeling I will be dropping some serious $$$ in Tokyo. From the posts I've searched on here, it's a shoe-lovers paradise.

What are your recommendations for decent Japanese made shoes?

nachomancandysandwich

Reaction score
You might have good luck with Lloyds...or is it Lloyd?
They have nice shoes and are $300 to $600. There's a location in Aoyama and one in Ginza right across from Ships (where you'll definitely want to go). I don't know much more about them, but have heard good things from a friend.

Milkcansan

Reaction score
I would have to say that I got the shock of my life when I arrived in Singapore. The range of products available are appalling. The people are very poorly dressed as well. Can't blame them though... every store is a fashion label and every shppoing centre has the same stores.

I have a feeling I will be dropping some serious $$$ in Tokyo. From the posts I've searched on here, it's a shoe-lovers paradise.

What are your recommendations for decent Japanese made shoes?

It is indeed a shoe lovers paradise if you are loaded with cash.

Like I have mentioned earlier , try trading post. http://www.lifegear-tradingpost.com

They have their own house brand which is quite reasonable.

Singapore is actually getting better with their fashion sense. It will get better.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As others have said, try places like the Isetan Mens Annex in Shinjuku, the Trading Post shop in Ginza, United Arrows (Ginza, Marunouchi and other places) and other major department stores.

Isetan Mens Annex offers everything from Japanese-made and Italian-made shoes for under $200, to English and Italian brands for over $2000. It is a shoe lover's heaven and even if you don't buy anything there, it is well worth taking a look.

To be quite frank, you will encounter problems getting a size 10/43 in some places. I saw a great pair of side-buckle monks (similar to the EG-made RLPL Grants) at the Trading Post store but the largest size that they had was equivalent to a US9.5.

English-made and US-made shoes attract a ridiculous premium in Japan unless they are on sale. Therefore, unless you happen to find a pair on sale, it's much better to order them over the internet.

As indicated above, Japanese brands like Regal can offer some good choices. Regal has some lower-end, very ordinary shoes but at the higher end, their shoes are very nice and are still quite reasonably priced.

Oyaji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nachomancandysandwich
You might have good luck with Lloyds...or is it Lloyd?
They have nice shoes and are $300 to $600. There's a location in Aoyama and one in Ginza right across from Ships (where you'll definitely want to go). I don't know much more about them, but have heard good things from a friend.

Lloyd Footwear is a very nice shop, the manger of Aoyama is often seen in Men's Ex and other mens magazine. They have "fair" prices for British shoes, made by Alfred Sargent, Barker or C&J depending on the range. I think it starts around 30,000jpy (375USD).
C&J MTO are about 1,000USD... I guess you can get a 5% discount as the consumption tax should be excluded.

I would definitely recommand Yamacho, they have a new MTO system: 3D measurement.

Oyaji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nachomancandysandwich
Yeah, they seem like a decent value.

Oyaji, does Yamacho do shoes MTO?

Yes I saw that when I passed by but dunno the price. But my basic recommandation is Lloyd for British shoes and Yamacho for Japanese one.

Originally Posted by Gaia
Why not purchasing online and having them dispatched in Tokio ? You may even save some money too. Well, just an idea...
This is another solution but in that case, even better to have them sent to your usual address instead.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
As others have said, try places like the Isetan Mens Annex in Shinjuku, the Trading Post shop in Ginza, United Arrows (Ginza, Marunouchi and other places) and other major department stores.

Isetan Mens Annex offers everything from Japanese-made and Italian-made shoes for under $200, to English and Italian brands for over $2000. It is a shoe lover's heaven and even if you don't buy anything there, it is well worth taking a look.

To be quite frank, you will encounter problems getting a size 10/43 in some places. I saw a great pair of side-buckle monks (similar to the EG-made RLPL Grants) at the Trading Post store but the largest size that they had was equivalent to a US9.5.

English-made and US-made shoes attract a ridiculous premium in Japan unless they are on sale. Therefore, unless you happen to find a pair on sale, it's much better to order them over the internet.

As indicated above, Japanese brands like Regal can offer some good choices. Regal has some lower-end, very ordinary shoes but at the higher end, their shoes are very nice and are still quite reasonably priced.

I checked out TP. Fantastic shoes and very refreshing designs. I did a currency convert and it just dawned upon me that even their Japanese made house brand shoes are pushing USD450-500+. I can have myself a pair of EGs off B&S for that price.

No matter what... I am committed to buying something there. I'll report back with the damage... or extent of damage.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked out TP. Fantastic shoes and very refreshing designs. I did a currency convert and it just dawned upon me that even their Japanese made house brand shoes are pushing USD450-500+. I can have myself a pair of EGs off B&S for that price.

That was our initial response when you posted. We told you so.

I admire your tenacity. Happy shopping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads