• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe brushes: more than one?

Fabro

Reaction score
Is it OK to use the same shoe horse hair shoe brush for all colours (black, browns, burgundy), or is it best to keep separate brushes?

What about the smaller application brushes?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Partly because of what I had seen in the army (brushes becoming useless for polishing due to being used as applicators)... I keep separate brushes for application and polishing. I also keep one black brush and one for brown/dark burgundy, et.c. Same for applicators.
smile.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have had threads like this before. Like Skalogre, I keep one brush for brown/tan/burgundy and one for black. Some men like to have a separate brush for burgundy although I have never had occasion to rue using the same brush for burgundy and the browns.

I have never had much use for applicator brushes or those sponge devices, preferring to use an old T-shirt or polo shirt for this purpose. In the opinion of the shoe mavens on this forum, am I doing anything amiss in so doing?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also use separate brushes for black and browns/burgundys. I don't fuss if they get mixed up though, since I use pretty much every polish I have on most of my shoes.

Wouldn't dare to claim to be a shoe maven but I find rags, tees, or socks to be vastly more effective and user-friendly than applicators, which are really for men who want to keep their hands clean. Shoemakers and well-trained staff tend not to use them, too.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a seperate brush for brown shoes (which I use for all shades of brown) and a seperate brush for black shoes. I use an old t-shirt to apply polish from tins, but most of the time I just use the polish that comes in the tube with the little sponge thing on the end. Maybe this isn't the best way, but I can't be bothered to spend hours polishing a pair of shoes. It takes me about ten minutes to polish a pair (I just apply using the spong thing on one shoe, then on the other, then I brush the first shoe, then I brush the second shoe, then I go over the first shoe with a wet sock, then I go over the second shoe with a wet sock, then I go over the first shoe with a dry sock, then I go over the second shoe with a dry sock, and voila, a perfectly adequate shine).

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the same brush for everything and have never had a problem.

And ditto the above, I use old tee shirts to apply polish.

ATM

Reaction score
I have one brush for black and another for everything else. I use old socks as applicators (one for every color). I've tried using brush applicators but they seemed to put too much polish on the shoe.

coachvu

Reaction score
I use one for black, one for brown/tan, but I also try to rinse most of the polish out of the brush after each use.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one that I use for Black/cordovan.
Another for all browns and oxbloods.

I'm getting a third to use just for the very light brown / english tan shoes.

However, I can write that I've used that light brush on the brown shoes for probably 20 years. It still is very light colored. However, I just may want to keep one pair of shoes (or a few) in a very light color. In that case, I will not want to introduce any dark colored polish.

It is easy to take a swipe at the shoes with the darker brush from time to time to get a bit more color. Darned hard to remove it - or to remove it evenly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads