• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirts to go with a blazer

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
simplest/foolproof option would be a pale blue shirt. Oxford cloth, button-down collar for the Ivy look esp if you are going to wear without a tie. Could do solid or stripes.
Pale pink (solids or striped)
White would also work but maybe a little less versatile than pale blue

surkdidat

Reaction score
simplest/foolproof option would be a pale blue shirt. Oxford cloth, button-down collar for the Ivy look esp if you are going to wear without a tie. Could do solid or stripes.
Pale pink (solids or striped)
White would also work but maybe a little less versatile than pale blue
Thank you for your advice!

Would I get more versatility with a light/dark grey pair of chinos (brown shoes?) with this jacket for shirt colour choice please?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dark grey cotton chinos don't age well in my opinion.
Mid-grey wool is going to be the most basic/versatile choice generally for a sportcoat.
Brown shoes are fine, just would avoid very light/tan brown. Chestnut brown or darker would be most versatile.

surkdidat

Reaction score
I had the following in mind:
https://www.charlestyrwhitt.com/uk/...ght-grey/TRC0274LGY.html?pf=pdp_colour_swatch

and

to go with the jacket

and
515t1J2pELL._AC_.jpg

fr the footwear

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are certainly some shoes

surkdidat

Reaction score
Thinking I need a rethink on the shoe front for Smart casual then............. thank you!

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the following in mind:
https://www.charlestyrwhitt.com/uk/...ght-grey/TRC0274LGY.html?pf=pdp_colour_swatch

and

to go with the jacket

and
515t1J2pELL._AC_.jpg

fr the footwear

Definitely not. Get some loafers or derbies without the distinctive sole markings so they look like sneakers. Make sure the shoes are as dark if not darker than your trousers.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is your budget for shoes?

for the outfit you're describing, derbies like this:

or a chukka boot

or loafers

just as examples

surkdidat

Reaction score
What is your budget for shoes?

for the outfit you're describing, derbies like this:

or a chukka boot

or loafers

just as examples
Probably no higher than around £80, as I only go into the office one day a week, and then maybe out on a Friday night with pals to be wearing them.

I do like the loafers, and would definitely go for them if it was in the office 5 days a week, but how often I am going in, I cannot really justify spending the price of those, very unfortunately at the moment!

The suede is something I do not think is really me to be honest.

But I appreciate the varying examples picked out here. I never would have considered loafers before, but its given me a new direction to head in for footwear!

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do like the loafers, and would definitely go for them if it was in the office 5 days a week, but how often I am going in, I cannot really justify spending the price of those, very unfortunately at the moment!

It would be unwise to wear the same set of leather shoes on consecutive days.

rjc149

Reaction score
Probably no higher than around £80, as I only go into the office one day a week, and then maybe out on a Friday night with pals to be wearing them.

The suede is something I do not think is really me to be honest.

But I appreciate the varying examples picked out here. I never would have considered loafers before, but its given me a new direction to head in for footwear!
My only advice in your shoe search, when exploring new brands, is to try them on before you buy them.

TLB and Meermin make beautiful shoes, but don't buy them based on the sizing options given on the website. Different lasts (shoe molds) and different widths will all fit differently. If you have narrow feet, sleek European shoes will usually work for you. If you have wide feet like I do, they simply won't. Sizing up to accommodate wide feet will result in shoes that are too long and ungainly.

If you can, get sized by a Brannock device, or better yet, see if you can visit a brick-and-mortar store to try shoes with a sales associate.

Beautiful shoes that are miserable to wear will not be worn, and will have been a waste of money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads