• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirts,Ties, Squares suggestions to wear w/ navy pinstripes

floh

Reaction score
Gents,

i bought myself a made-to-measure suit for christmas, because dressed man look extremely sharp in my opinion. As i am a student and wont really need a suit on a daily basis nor a full wardrobe so i would like to expand it later with the time passing by.

Navy is my favrite color and i love pinstripes so i got a 3 button navy pinstripe and tried to keep it what most would consider a classic looking, at least i hope so.
wink.gif

I saved my money to get it made out of loro piana 130S pure wool fabric which i liked most in color and feel.

So what i look for, are suggestions from you what combinations you would think would match this suit and where to get them. Im looking into buying additional shirts, ties and pocket squares to make the suit more versatile.

Colors i would like to use for ties and maybe squares (but dont have an idea if it will cause eye-cancer or not): Blue Red, Plum, Royal Blue, Purple, Pine and Rose Pink.

For shirts i would prefer lighter colors: Rose Pink, Icy Pink, Icy Violet, Icy Blue, Medium Blue, Icy Grey and Mint.

And i am looking for contrasts between light and dark colors.

Yeah that mind sound crazy, but at least that are the colors my color consultat told me
alien.gif

So far i have difficulties with the diffrent styles and mixing colors (and patterns?).

I appreciate any help!

Thanks for looking.

BTW: A color example of the fabric. Looks a bit to light on the picture i think.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a little strange that your color consultant chose colors that presumably work for your complexion and didn't say how to combine them.

You have the right idea about contrast. To narrow it down further, the tie almost certainly should be a few shades darker than the shirt (if we're talking solids). Unfortunately, "icy" sounds, er, dicey. If the adjective instead were "light," then those in blue, gray, and pink ought to work with plum, purple, or royal blue. Medium blue as a shirt color is hard to wear with a tie. Wearing two large items from the green family probably won't work. Probably it's best to not mix the green and red families in the shirt/tie combination. Only one can be the highlight, Heidi Klum might say. With most of the color combinations, a white background to the pocket square likely would allow safe use of any one color from the first batch as small dots on it, for example. Never exactly match the tie and pocket square.

floh

Reaction score
Thanks, i already thought i wrote the wrong language
confused.gif

The consultant gave me a list with what colors to choose for what kind of clothes(for example: jackets, trouser and shirts) but not how to combine them unless to make contrasts.

Judging only by your website, i guess you know well what you are talking about and though your help is much appreciated!

With "icy" i originally meant much lighter. To echo what you have said:

-solid color ties should be a tad bit darker than the shirt.
-plum, purple, or royal blue will normally match blue, gray, and pink shirts. Are you still referring to solid color ties?
-i will forget about combinations of medium blue shirts and any ties.
-i will leave mixes of green and red for the time i am older and have a better feeling for style.
wink.gif

- I have ordered a white pocket sqaure from Kent Wang.

Again, i am very grateful about your reply!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
plum, purple, or royal blue will normally match blue, gray, and pink shirts. Are you still referring to solid color ties?
Yes. However, for the record, any color in the first set as the tie's background color is likely to work, too. Unless, for example, it's a purple tie with medium or wide pink stripes and a pink shirt - which probably will make the tie and shirt blend together too much.

Glad to be of help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads