• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell cleanup

g.michael

Reaction score
After becoming intrigued with shell cordovan about 5 years ago, and learning a ton on this forum (and its predecessor), I have since owned/worn well over a dozen pair or so, from 3 different manufacturers. I have about 6 pair in the current rotation, including the Indy boot (via J. Gilbert) pictured below. Cordovan is a great material, and I have personally found it to be very low maintenance. I know some people follow the Mac method with almost religious fervor, and I respect that. But for me, I go with a very low maintenance routine—after a day of wear (and I do wear them, as you will see), they may get a light brushing (10 seconds) and then shoe trees go in and they go on the shelf until the next wearing. Once every 15-25 wearings, they may get some Reno and some paste wax, but a quick buffing does wonders as well. That’s it. Shell holds up great and I’ve honestly got better things to do with my time.

Anyway, for your enjoyment, or shock, below are pics of a cleanup job that my Indy’s needed. I have worn them on some light hikes in the woods, but recently took them to my father-in-law’s farm in January where he has a great place for shooting guns. It had recently rained, but I thought the ground had dried out sufficiently, but this turned out not to be the case. Anyway, after a couple hours of blasting sporting clays, exploding 2 liter bottles of pop, and getting in some 9mm target practice, my boots had suffered the effects you can see below.

Not only that, when I got home, I took them off in the garage and they sat in that cold state for 2 full weeks. Yes, you read that right. I’m a busy guy, but I have also worn shell long enough to know that any worry was over nothing.

Here they are after a wipe down with a wet cloth and a wet toothbrush along the welt, and a towel dry. Scuffs and scratches show character.

Here they are after a quick treatment with Renovateur, some light paste wax, some brushing (not a lot), and a buff with an old cotton t-shirt, followed by an application of Alden leather defender, and a final buff--the whole process took less than an hour. They look fantastic. Shell is some great stuff.

Watermark from the mud--more character!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads