• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving, with or against the grain?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how thick or thin is your hair growth, but I advise the following:
  • Have the cold water tap on.
  • Wet skin with water.
  • Lather (not too much)
  • Rinse blade under cold water for a sec.
  • Shave with grain (rinsing out blade as you go)
  • Shave against grain (rinsing out blade as you go)
  • Do not use pressure on the blade. It's the pressure that causes the razor to literally scrape the skin, causing the burn. Just go lightly.
  • When done, use a wet cold face cloth to remove any residual shaving cream.
  • Wet your hands.
  • Apply a dab of skin lotion and quickly work onto your wet hands.
  • Apply the watered-down lotion to your face.
  • Let dry.
  • Wait 10 minutes.
  • Wet hands again.
  • Dab the wet hands on your face to refresh your skin once more.
  • Done.
I have extremely thin and sensitive skin, and the above method is what I do that gives results. I shave only once every 2-3 days so as to give my skin a chance to heal between shavings. This also gives more style options. One day shaved, one day scruff. etc. Also, I use a twin blade here.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The water should be warm. Other than that and the shower optioned mentioned in #11, the reply above is quite comprehensive. An extra step is to use an exfoliant, probably the night before (because it increases sun sensitivity). Shaving daily is better, if the skin doesn't need to heal, because more growth can make the shave tougher.

ClassyGuy1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ulim
I would graduate to a DE safety razor instead of the Fuzion for the closest possible shave (check out the guide to wetshaving thread or SF affiliate WestCoastShaving.com).

For the best shave, I recommend the first pass be with the grain, second pass across the grain (ie. 90 degrees), and the final pass against the grain.

However, if you attempt to do these different passes with a Fusion, you will probably end up irritating your skin greatly.

+1 I agree. If you want to discover a new way to save yourself both money and unnecessary skin irritation, I would switch to DE shaving and shave with a safety razor following exactly what is instructed above. You'll never think about going back to your Fusion again. I would definitely check out Badger & Blade (www.badgerandblade.com). You're used to your Fusion, so if you try switching, there will probably be times that you want to quite and give up, but don't give up. Just stick with it!

surfnbank

Reaction score
agreed, multiple passes works the best and with the least irritation. Badger and Blades or the Shaving den is great if you want to look at that. Mantic shaving videos on youtube are nice as well.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
I would only go against the grain if it's a new razor (used less than 3 times) and it's a special occasion.

MegaTRossi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ulim
I would graduate to a DE safety razor instead of the Fuzion for the closest possible shave (check out the guide to wetshaving thread or SF affiliate WestCoastShaving.com).

For the best shave, I recommend the first pass be with the grain, second pass across the grain (ie. 90 degrees), and the final pass against the grain.

However, if you attempt to do these different passes with a Fusion, you will probably end up irritating your skin greatly.

I would have to agree with Ulim about getting a DE safety razor. I started my 'wet shave' shaving career with a Sensor (twin blade). I much preferred wet shaving to electric, but I was getting so many ingrown hairs and the occasional razor burn. I finally got fed up and decided I needed to try something new. I was torn between a DE or a straight blade, but to be honest, I was a little affraid of a straight blade.

Shaving with a DE can take a little bit of getting used to, but persevere because it's totally worth it! Only the rare ingrown hair and NO more razor burn! Blades are cheaper too!
smile.gif
The key is beard preparation. I usually shave straight out of the shower (hot water to open pores); apply a good shaving cream with brush - lathering for a couple of minutes; and then shave - depending how I feel on the day, I don't always do more than 1 pass (with grain on face, across grain above lip, against on neck). However, if I do more passes (with grain then across/against), I always re-lather; after a good rinse with cold water, I apply a good after shave balm.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads