• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the preserve behind our house. I think it's about 500 acres. I'm not sure what lives there, but we hear some crazy noises at night. The builder told us the sheriff traps hog back there and relocates them.

It's usually dry this time of year, but we had a lot of rain over the winter. It doesn't get more than a few inches deep. I sincerely doubt there are any gators because of the shallow depth, but it is prime habitat for water moccasins.

We weren't allowed to choose our own fence (you're lucky to find a place here that lets you), so we planted bamboo for privacy. We will probably sell the place before it's fully grown, but it's doing a decent job now.

I lined the fence with pet screen. I started the project when we moved in, but procrastinated a few weeks, until I killed a diamondback in the yard. I suppose it's not completely snake proof, but it prevents anything from getting that doesn't want to climb up the fence.

We are replacing some of the builder's work. The baseboards were ****, and the company that installed the wood didn't do the best job with the quarter rounds either. We removed the 3.25" baseboards and put in 7.25" base.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know how people can live in places where you can find a poisonous snake in your backyard. The thought of that just scares the bejeesus out of me. I'd have built a triple electric fence with laser beams attached to motion sensors.

BTW, snakes love bamboo.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I don't know how people can live in places where you can find a poisonous snake in your backyard. The thought of that just scares the bejeesus out of me. I'd have built a triple electric fence with laser beams attached to motion sensors.

BTW, snakes love bamboo.

Mrs. Thomas has snake-proof wellies for yard work.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BTW, snakes love bamboo.

I'd be more concerned with pets and children. Our cat stays inside the screened-in porch, no kids yet. Our neighbors don't seem too concerned with their kids and pets. A few coworkers who grew up here told me that diamondbacks are pretty rare here, most had never seen one in their lifetime.

Mrs. Thomas has snake-proof wellies for yard work.

I would hope the grounds crews around here wear snake chaps, but I doubt it. You can't hear anything with a mower or weed eater running. Seems like a great way to get bit.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I have 3 dogs and a 4-year-old daughter. It's terrifying enough to think of encountering a poisonous snake myself, but I think I'd be a constant wreck with my kid in the backyard.

I'm a little crestfallen because I found a rug at auction that I thought I was going to get for really, really cheap but it went for more than double the high estimate.

Then another rug, frankly much nicer, was going well under the low estimate. I put a bid in but for some reason the bid was not received in time (I was bidding a live auction through an internet site) and it sold for a stupid low figure. Room-size Herez, $800.

My wife and I have been on a push to really furnish our living room properly and the rest of yesterday I kept looking at the seating area where I would have put it and thinking how nice it would have looked.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I lined the fence with pet screen. I started the project when we moved in, but procrastinated a few weeks, until I killed a diamondback in the yard. I suppose it's not completely snake proof, but it prevents anything from getting that doesn't want to climb up the fence.

Just curious: how do you kill a diamondback? Need McGyver skills?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always have a loaded shotgun with me at all times when touring the grounds. :)

Douglas, I completely struck out at auction a few months back when rug hunting but ended up buying something I was happier with at a dealers shop. The trick to being happy with something you buy from a dealer is never to check the market price.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Douglas, I'm sending this rug to an NYC dealer.
10x13 wool and silk, hand-knotted in Tibet. Colour is accurate. If you're interested, let me know.

lefty

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just curious: how do you kill a diamondback? Need McGyver skills?

With a 12-gauge. You bury it with the shovel. We are just barely within the city limits, but you are permitted to discharge a firearm in cases of self-defense from a wild animal (or human, obviously). The shovel seemed like a plausible idea until it coiled up. This thing was pretty lively. If you had a piece of PVC pipe that was 8ft or so, or some type of long pole, it wouldn't be very hard, but I'd rather kill it humanely and not beat it to death.

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nice rug, lefty. I'm sure I can't afford it. I prefer a more sumptuous Persian though anyways.

@ SG: I have a dealer I can use - he's actually associated with the auction house and he's sold easily $100K in rugs to my folks. I'm sure he could help me find a reasonable rug for something short of a total ass-****** but I'd still be paying a lot of money. When you're trying to get into a 10x13ish rug for <$1000 you have to be patient and bide your time. Fortunately, this auction house typically has about 2-3 rugs that fit the bill per auction, and they have about 1 auction a month. If I stretched my budget to $2,000 I'd probably really be able to get something quite nice.

For my purposes, and considering I have three dogs who frequently have "accidents" (little shitheads) buying a truly valuable rug is sort of a waste of money. The rug in the photo of my living room in this thread I picked up at auction for $325, well, hammer price anyways.

ps that snake is giving me the heebie jeebies

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lot less than you think - I just want to move it out - but if you don't like the style.

Good luck.

lefty

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We picked up our last few at auction, but I ran out of patience for searching this most recent time. $2000 goes a lot further at auction than it does with a dealer, but when looking for something more unusual they can be very helpful.

The most recent one was a tribal rug rather than a formal Persian.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're in the country: gun (preferably shotgun). Otherwise, cut off its head with a long shovel

I thought you were joking, but clearly not:

With a 12-gauge. You bury it with the shovel. We are just barely within the city limits, but you are permitted to discharge a firearm in cases of self-defense from a wild animal (or human, obviously). The shovel seemed like a plausible idea until it coiled up. This thing was pretty lively. If you had a piece of PVC pipe that was 8ft or so, or some type of long pole, it wouldn't be very hard, but I'd rather kill it humanely and not beat it to death.

Thanks - can't believe you would consider using a shovel on that thing. The thought of that would give me the same as Douglas:

ps that snake is giving me the heebie jeebies

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads