• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, guys. It's an (expensive) adventure. I am not doing any of the work myself - I am not capable of really anything handy. Lefty: I can see why you would be skeptical of the turned bannister spindles, but this is not really a California Craftsman. It does have a lot of Craftsman influences, but according to the woman who built it, it is "modeled after the Cervantes Inn in Toledo, with a bit of Bermuda in there as well." I think of it as a very Spanish style house and the Arts and Crafts that is in there is a little more English Arts and Crafts. At least, that's what I've been telling myself. Here's an old photo, from the 1960s, showing the original owner in the living room, and though it's not the best, I think you can see how the turned spindles are the same:
Living.jpg

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I would move into that place tomorrow. Keep the chandelier. lefty
whoops! The chandelier is going to go. We are replacing it though with two kind of similar ones - sort of medieval looking ones made of wrought-iron, made in France in the 60s or so. I actually think they'll go very well. I posted them somewhere here once before... here they are:
chandeliers.jpg
gdl was not a fan, IIRC.
musicboohoo[1].gif

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, on the plus side it will really illuminate the spindles. Did they leave any original furniture?

lefty

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It all went to auction. I would have loved to have gotten the refectory table in the foreground (the woman pictured was an artist and sculptress and she made the table) but it was more than I could afford. There is some built-in furniture and of course the sculptures on the corners of the exterior, and we did snag a sculpture or two, but not any of the other furniture, unfortunately.

EDIT: lol @ morty. I know the SF illuminati do not love my chandeliers. But I think they're great.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At least keep the original chandelier around for a bit and have it checked out.

That space is so unique that you have an opportunity for a serious "**** wow" hanging light. Figure on 10-15K for entry level "**** wow."

What are the lights in the floor joists of the second floor? When were they added?

lefty

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like my chandeliers. To me, they are "**** wow."
uhoh.gif
But oh well... like I said I know they're not popular here... oh well. It's my house
smile.gif
I don't know when those other lights were added - I am not convinced they aren't original either. At least they would have been added or updated in the 60s or thereabouts. They are ugly as ****. They're just open bulbs with essentially foil reflectors behind them. They are being replaced with more modern track lighting - I'm not quite sure exactly what we'll put in yet because we're not that far along - the architect specc'ed something but I'm not even sure what it is yet but we'll be discussing it in about 2 months. Ultimately, I want something similarly recessed so that it's inconspicuous but spots the wall effectively.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't mean to insult your lights. Sorry, dude.

The rafters are a tough spot as you can't really recess anything. How long will this reno take?

lefty

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dude, how can you do any remodeling without full approval from SF? Post the plans instead of teardown pics and we'll tell you if you've got any sense or not!

That said, I'm jealous of anyone with a proper library, especially if it's got a fireplace too, even though I buy all my books on kindle these days.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
nah, don't worry. i've sort of learned over the years that if you post something you like on SF you have to come prepared with a thick skin
smile.gif
i appreciate your comments. you're right - i didn't mean "recessed" so much as just up in the rafters and as inconspicuous as possible. I would love to try to do LED lighting of some sort for a really low profile, but I haven't found anyone who is comfortable speccing any of it for me yet. My architect doesn't really understand it, and I think most of the contractors aren't used to it... I think we're still a year or two away from the technology and array of options being ready for regular installation. I think we'll just end up with those little MR-16 halogens and maybe if the prices get reasonable and the light output is good enough I can go with the LED versions at some point.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
whoops! The chandelier is going to go. We are replacing it though with two kind of similar ones - sort of medieval looking ones made of wrought-iron, made in France in the 60s or so. I actually think they'll go very well. I posted them somewhere here once before... here they are:
chandeliers.jpg
gdl was not a fan, IIRC.
musicboohoo[1].gif

That thing is awesome! I've never seen a chandelier that was designed to specifically kill people before. If you don't build some sort of lever release that will have that thing come crashing down on people you're "not happy with" I will be disappoint.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
Douglas, I love the new fixtures! I'm a big fan of keeping existing features whenever possible, but I think that the "new" ones will go really well with the retained architectural features. I look forward to seeing more photos as the renovation progresses.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Douglas, I would have gone with a more modern/deco/art nouveau/art & craft/prairie style chandelier that featured an enclosed bulb. The flame-shaped light bulbs on a reproduction of a medieval chandelier style made in the 60's is a breach of authenticity. I'd keep an eye out for different types of wrought iron or stain glass chandeliers in a more time specific form. You should also get more consistent light and reduced glare with an enclosed light source.
Frank-L-W-Antique-L.jpg
118346023_c3fc223e50.jpg
L154.jpg
1241767418dlqkwe.jpg
72482.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics