• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self Edge SF/NY/LA/PDX/MX - Japanese Denim & Leather, Top Notch Basics, Very Nice Jewelry + Eyewear, & More

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just had a long talk with Roy about this next batch of jeans coming out this week. I'm a bit stunned to find out exactly what the denim is... For the first time in over three decades Cone Mills has produced a run of unsanforized fabric for a brand besides Levi's. This fabric is actually produced for Roy to his exact specifications, only 500 yards were made. If you understand the way mills work this should sound like a flat-out lie. It's not. I myself have a hard time digesting the fact that this happened. It's a test to see how it pans out between Roy and Cone. This is serious history in the making.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We've received quite a few inquiries about the price of the new Roy jeans.
Roy's price to Self Edge has gone up and therefore our price has gone up, the new price is $335.
Roy has stated that not only did the denim itself cost considerably more than past runs but this jean was more labor intensive due to a few extra details not found on past jeans.

EDIT: The tendency to want to compare the price of a product from Roy to other brands we sell will be there, but please refrain. It's hard to compare a product like roy's to almost anything else we (or anybody else for that matter) carries because of the unique nature behind the production of it.

Also, he's having a little leather patch contest, more info to be posted to his own website shortly.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Roy's Jeans - The Cone Mills Project - Straight & Narrow Fits

Roy Slaper is back with his first denim jean release in many months. This long overdue set of jeans is made up of a custom fabric from Cone Mills made exactly to Roy's specs. This is the first time in over three decades that Cone has produced an unsanforized fabric for anybody, and therefore we feel that this is history in the making.

The denim is a loomstate unsanforized indigo denim that clocks in at 13oz per square yard in it's raw state. The fabric has a slight gray-cast to it and feels far heavier than it's stated weight due to it's weave and loomstate nature.
The jeans themselves come in two fits, both a slim and a straight leg. Both silhouettes are slightly modified from past iterations of Roy's straight and slim fits.

Never content with just "doing another run", Roy has improved and tweaked everything surrounding the production of these jeans. The stitching of the body is even finer and more accurate and we love the fully lined back pockets and coin pocket; i don't believe we've ever seen a lined coin pocket on a pair of jeans before. The rear pocket hems now have a hand-done welt in them, mimicking the vintage style belt-loops found on many of the best Japanese brands. And last but not least the back pockets have been slightly reduced in size from past versions.

Jeans from Roy don't come often and we can't keep them in stock as long as we'd like, so if you've been waiting for a pair, now is the time.

Both these new jeans will go on sale at all three Self Edge stores at noon (local time) on Thursday December 22nd, the jeans will also go on sale in our online store at 9am (PST) the same day. Check the online store for more photos, measurements, and far far more specifications than you can possibly need for a pair of jeans.

Roy RS03 - Straight Leg
ROY_RS03_01.jpg

Roy RN03 - Narrow Leg
ROY_RN03_01.jpg

ROY_RN03_03.jpg

ROY_RN03_04.jpg

ROY_RN03_07.jpg

ROY_RN03_06.jpg

ROY_RN03_05.jpg

Klemins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Roy have any plans to do tops/outerwear? I understand they may not be worth the amount of necessary energy/raw material in comparison to jeans, but I'd be very interested to see what he came up with if he ever decided to go forward with it.

Last edited:

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Does Roy have any plans to do tops/outerwear? I understand they may not be worth the amount of necessary energy/raw material in comparison to jeans, but I'd be very interested to see what he came up with if he ever decided to go forward with it.

Yup, within the next few months Roy will be making some long sleeve shirts and eventually hoodies too.

I missed out on the RN03 since I was at work all day. Any chance there is a 33 at SENY?

SELA and SENY still have this if you'd like to place a phone order.

is there a 33 in the straight leg at SENY?

This also is available at SENY and SELA.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Rock Out This Winter With Dry Bones

Fresh from the cold winter days of Tokyo comes four new pieces from Dry Bones along with a restock of their Red-D jeans and Dual-Prong Belts.

First up we have a beautiful melton wool Award Jacket with a quilted interior. Custom oversized cat-eye buttons and a great thick ribbing makes this a stellar winter jacket that's comfortable and warm.

Next up we've received two button down shirts. One is a micro-cord shirt with a woven jacquard fabric as the front yoke. Dry Bones has been doing this exact repro for almost twenty years, every year a different color. It just so happens that very recently a high-end Japanese brand has become very popular producing these exact shirts, I guess when you make something for long enough it'll be hip at least once during your lifetime. The next shirt is a 100% cotton flannel with red Bakelite-like buttons, the pattern on this shirt pops.

Last up is a jacquard loom woven sweater made of an acrylic/wool/nylon blend which is crazy soft on the inside and outside. The Fair Isle pattern looks great with the colors they've used on this sweater.

All these new items along with a full restock of the Dry Bones Red-D jeans and the dual-prong belt is available now at all three Self Edge stores and in our online store. Check the online store for more info, photos, measurements, and specs.

Shop Dry Bones: http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=72

Dry Bones Melton Wool Award Jacket
DB_DJ-589_01.jpg

DB_DJ-589_01_02.jpg

DB_DJ-589_01_04.jpg

DB_DJ-589_01_05.jpg

Dry Bones Two Flavors / One Shirt
DB_DS-1865_01.jpg

DB_DS-1865_01_02.jpg

Dry Bones Strike Out Flannel Shirt
DB_DS-1849_01.jpg

DB_DS-1849_01_03.jpg

Dry Bones Jacquard Knit Sweater
DB_DC-544_01.jpg

DB_DC-544_01_03.jpg

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Self Edge Product Updates

Even though the holidays are over we're still moving full steam ahead with new products and restocks rolling into all three stores on an almost daily basis.

Real Japan Blues
Real Japan Blues has finished a new run of the 103BSP and 106BSP jeans, these are available again at all three Self Edge stores and in our online store. These are made of a new denim, the same denim found on the SEXFHXRJB15 jean, 14oz unsanforized indigo denim which ages great over time and was developed by RJB to mimic the fading characteristics on Flat Head's 3xxx denim with a slightly different feel.

3sixteen+
From 3sixteen+ we've received a new run of the 21BSP slim cut jean made up of an unsanforized 18oz denim made specifically for this series of jeans. For the second run of this jean the fit is a bit slimmer through the legs and it's a bit more tapered. A great value when the quality of fabric and construction is taken into consideration.

Stevenson Overall Co.
We got Stevenson Overall Co. to do another run of the silk skull-caps for us, these things are soft to the touch, extremely warm, and woven on vintage shuttle looms. These are available again in navy or gray.

Iron Heart
From Iron Heart we've received more shirts and a full restock of all their jeans currently in production along with the Beatle Buster, 301s, overdyed 634s-B, 634s, and the new 634-RAW jean.

Strike Gold!
Strike Gold has sent us a full restock of all four jeans models along with their belts and a small restock of their Game Changing loopwheeled crewneck sweaters. Self Edge LA has also received a restock of their flannel shirts.

Sugar Cane
Sugar Cane has sent us a full restock of all their jeans including the popular 2009 cut. Watch out for the Self Edge x Toyo Black Jungle Cloth pant coming to all stores on January 7th.

Dry Bones
The wacked out guys at Dry Bones have delivered their new winter collection in the form of a few new shirts and a woven melton wool award jacket. Along with these new pieces all stores have received a restock of the Red-D slim jeans, the dual-prong belt, and all eyewear.

Flat Head
From Flat Head we've gotten in their heavy winter flannels in multiple colors along with some restocks of their past shirts. At SENY we received woven skull caps too. All stores have received a few jean model restocks from Flat Head, a bigger and more complete restock is hitting stores next week.

Kawatako Leathers
Next week we'll be receiving a big restock from Kawatako with belts, wallets, keyhooks, and camera cases.

3sixteen
From 3sixteen we're getting weekly restocks of every jean we stock from them along with the leather bracelets, we try and stock them as fast as possible so if your size is missing we should be getting it back in within days. These things are selling faster than they can produce them.

Lowside Mag
We got both issue 05 and 06 of Lowside Magazine back in stock for all you grease-monkeys.

Yellow Rat
Last but not least, we've filled in all of the missing sizes of all seven Yellow Rat tops we have in store, this is the last restock on these items.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweedy bag