• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self Edge SF/NY/LA/PDX/MX - Japanese Denim & Leather, Top Notch Basics, Very Nice Jewelry + Eyewear, & More

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Merz B. Schwanen Winter Collection of Loopwheeled Goods

Merz B's winter collection just landed at all stores. We have new loopwheeled pull-over hoodies in two colors, crewneck sweaters in three colors, and merino wool beanies in two colors. These things are made of organic Greek cotton then loopwheeled on vintage knitting machines in Germany and finished with vintage-correct construction and trim. The attention to detail Merz puts into their basics is impressive and we're excited to be able to expand what we stock from them.

These new items along with restocks of tees, previously released watch caps, and more are available now at all stores.

Shop Merz B. Schwanen Online

Merz_B._Schwanen_Heavy_Weight_Zip_Hoodie_Night_Blue-01a-680x1025.jpg

Merz_B._Schwanen_Heavy_Weight_Zip_Hoodie_Night_Blue-02-4256x2832.jpg

Merz_B._Schwanen_Heavy_Weight_Zip_Hoodie_Night_Blue-07-4256x2832.jpg

Merz_B._Schwanen_Heavy_Weight_Zip_Hoodie_Deep_Black-01-680x1025.jpg

Merz_B._Schwanen_Heavy_Weight_Zip_Hoodie_Deep_Black-05-1025x680.jpg

Merz_B._Schwanen_Heavy_Weight_Crewneck_Sweater_Storm-02-1025x680.jpg

Merz_B._Schwanen_Heavy_Weight_Crewneck_Sweater_Storm-03-1025x680.jpg

Merz_B._Schwanen_Heavy_Weight_Crewneck_Sweater_Storm-07-1025x680.jpg

merz_sweatshirt_gray_01-680x1025.jpg

merz_sweatshirt_gray_05-1025x680.jpg

merz_sweatshirt_gray_09-1025x680.jpg

Merz_B._Schwanen_Heavy_Weight_Crewneck_Sweater_Deep_Black-01a-680x1025.jpg

Merz_B._Schwanen_Heavy_Weight_Crewneck_Sweater_Deep_Black-02-1025x680.jpg

Merz_B._Schwanen_Merino_Wool_Beanie_Navy_2021-2-1025x680.jpg

Merz_B._Schwanen_Merino_Wool_Beanie_Navy_2021-3-1025x680.jpg

Merz_B._Schwanen_Merino_Wool_Beanie_Navy_2021-5-1025x680.jpg

Merz_B._Schwanen_Merino_Wool_Beanie_Gray_2021-2-1025x680.jpg

Merz_B._Schwanen_Merino_Wool_Beanie_Gray_2021-4-1025x680.jpg

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The Fine Creek Shinki Horsehide RYAN Jacket

We’ve got a hot one this week from Fine Creek. The Ryan model is here and is made of what we believe to be the best horsehide in the world from Japan’s famed Shinki Hikaku tannery. This 1.3mm tea-core dyed horsehide feels and looks great when new and looks unbelievable when broken in. Fine Creek have created a completely new Shinki "recipe" for the Ryan model, we've never seen a Shinki horsehide which looks and feels like this. The Ryan jacket has three zippered outer pockets and is cotton flannel lined. These jackets were produced in black and a small run of rare brown ones made of the same Shinki horsehide.

These are available now in limited numbers at all stores.

Shop Fine Creek Online

Fine_Creek_Horsehide_Jacket_Ryan_Black_20-1640x2187.jpg

Fine_Creek_Horsehide_Jacket_Ryan_Black_15-1640x2187.jpg

Fine_Creek_Horsehide_Jacket_Ryan_Black_12-1640x2187.jpg

Fine_Creek_Horsehide_Jacket_Ryan_Black_17-1640x2187.jpg

Fine_Creek_Horsehide_Jacket_Ryan_Brown_18-1640x2186.jpg

Fine_Creek_Horsehide_Jacket_Ryan_Brown_14-1640x2187.jpg

Fine_Creek_Horsehide_Jacket_Ryan_Brown_15-1640x2187.jpg

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@kiya
From the measurements, it looks as thought the Ryan runs bigger than the FCL jackets which you have stocked. Would you take a size down in the Ryan vs the Eric, Leon, or Alonzo?

Also, is the leather the same in both the Alonzo and Ryan?

Yes, sizing down one would be recommend if you want a slim fit.
Also, the leather on the Ryan is completely different than any jacket they've ever released, and actually quite different than most Shinki leathers, it's pretty special and if you see the jacket in person you'll be able to tell instantly it's a different leather.

aaronj15

Reaction score
@kiya is there a reason self edge and 3sixteen have slightly different measurements for the shadow denim specifically in the NT cut? And who would be more accurate? Thanks

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@kiya is there a reason self edge and 3sixteen have slightly different measurements for the shadow denim specifically in the NT cut? And who would be more accurate? Thanks

Honestly not sure, but we measure every new run of jeans when they come in to make sure our measurements are accurate.

aaronj15

Reaction score
Honestly not sure, but we measure every new run of jeans when they come in to make sure our measurements are accurate.
Thanks, looks like 3sixteen measures the waist at 1" larger than the listed size, whereas self edge shows a true waist size measurement. I'm assuming they may be accounting for the stretch?

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks, looks like 3sixteen measures the waist at 1" larger than the listed size, whereas self edge shows a true waist size measurement. I'm assuming they may be accounting for the stretch?

I unfortunately cannot speak on how or why another site's measurements are different than ours. I highly doubt they're accounting for stretch as measurements are generally the measurements of the product in the state it's sold in.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like 316 measures waist with the front and rear waistband aligned, which will often produce a larger measurement:

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
New Roy Slim Tapered Jeans - XX Experimental Denim

We have a new run of Roy’s jeans being released this week! To prevent crowding at our brick and mortar stores (due to covid-related safety) these jeans will only be released online.

Roy has created a rare slim tapered fit out of a never-before-used deadstock fabric. This denim is a 13oz White Oak Mills fabric with an off-white weft and dark pure indigo-dyed warp that has been in a barn in North Carolina since 2005. Records show it was a fabric developed for the best known jean brand in the world which was never used. We love this denim, it has a unique shade to it due to the off-white weft yarns which peak through the dark indigo warp. The jean is finished with 10oz Cone Mills ring-spun cotton twill pocket bags, welted belt loops, a 5oz cowhide patch with Roy's original artwork, yellow/orange Pima cotton constructional stitching, and lined coin and rear pockets.

These are unsanforized and have not been rinsed, so the measurements you see online shrink down considerably after a hot soak. Please check the product page for a full run-down on the denim and details.

These jeans will go on sale online on Wednesday, December 9th, at 9am (PST).

Shop Roy's Jeans Online

Roy_RT_Jeans_Slim_Tapered_Fit_XX_Experimental_Denim_02-1025x680.jpg

Roy_RT_Jeans_Slim_Tapered_Fit_XX_Experimental_Denim_03-1025x680.jpg

Roy_RT_Jeans_Slim_Tapered_Fit_XX_Experimental_Denim_06-1025x680.jpg

Roy_RT_Jeans_Slim_Tapered_Fit_XX_Experimental_Denim_07-1025x680.jpg

Roy_RT_Jeans_Slim_Tapered_Fit_XX_Experimental_Denim_08-1025x680.jpg

Roy_RT_Jeans_Slim_Tapered_Fit_XX_Experimental_Denim_10-1025x680.jpg

Roy_RT_Jeans_Slim_Tapered_Fit_XX_Experimental_Denim_15-1025x680.jpg

Roy_RT_Jeans_Slim_Tapered_Fit_XX_Experimental_Denim_17-1025x680.jpg

Roy_RT_Jeans_Slim_Tapered_Fit_XX_Experimental_Denim_16-1025x680.jpg

Roy_RT_Jeans_Slim_Tapered_Fit_XX_Experimental_Denim_18-1025x680.jpg

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@kiya New Roy's look great! I went with 33 in the R01 but might have preferred 32 for the waist (they're a little loose even after a hot soak). Would you suggest 32 or 33 for the new model? It looks like the waist on them is in the middle relative to R01 sizes.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@kiya New Roy's look great! I went with 33 in the R01 but might have preferred 32 for the waist (they're a little loose even after a hot soak). Would you suggest 32 or 33 for the new model? It looks like the waist on them is in the middle relative to R01 sizes.

The waist on these runs true to tagged size, so the waist will shrink approximately to what the tagged size is.
They're not super slim so if you're ok with a snug waist you can go for the 32 and just do a 10 or 20 minute cold water soak, if you want to make sure you can wash them in hot water and want to have good room in the waist get the 33.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The waist on these runs true to tagged size, so the waist will shrink approximately to what the tagged size is.
They're not super slim so if you're ok with a snug waist you can go for the 32 and just do a 10 or 20 minute cold water soak, if you want to make sure you can wash them in hot water and want to have good room in the waist get the 33.
Perfect. Thanks!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@kiya - If I do manage to snag a pair of the Roy denim when they drop in a bit, is it possible to have them hemmed there by SelfEdge. I understand they will shrink after a soaking but I am short and hot or cold soak or no soak at all, mine will need to be hemmed at some point since 38" of material is way too much excess for me!

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@kiya - If I do manage to snag a pair of the Roy denim when they drop in a bit, is it possible to have them hemmed there by SelfEdge. I understand they will shrink after a soaking but I am short and hot or cold soak or no soak at all, mine will need to be hemmed at some point since 38" of material is way too much excess for me!

Yes, no problem at all, You can add hemming during the checkout process and they'll be chainstitch hemmed before being sent to you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads