• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scrabble

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simply the best board game of all time.

Pro-tip: "qat" is a great word to get rid of the dreaded "Q".

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Simply the best board game of all time.

while I love scrabble, i must argue that monopoly is the best board game of all time.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
So is Qi and for X, there's Xi.

Qi is the one I always go with.
It's especially sick if you can get a qi going horizontally and vertically at the same time.

zeeth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
while I love scrabble, i must argue that monopoly is the best board game of all time.

You don't find yourself getting sick of it nearer the end?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
Qi is the one I always go with.
It's especially sick if you can get a qi going horizontally and vertically at the same time.

I do the same damn thing. Genius.

Originally Posted by robbie

Once you figure out a few basic strategies of monopoly, and your opponents are blissfully ignorant, you can usually win about sixty-five percent of the time. In one of my MBA papers, I used commonly held fallacies in monopoly and compared them to real-world business fallacies. It was fun to write.

Orange (St. James, New York, Tennessee) is the best group to monopolize, the Greens, (North Carolina, Pacific, Pennsylvannia) are the worst. Utilities are worthless. There's more, but this is way off topic.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to this thread I used qi in a game of scrabble today.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I play scrabble about 2 times a week with my wife. We are both pretty good. You can always spot a terrible scrabble player who thinks complicated words are best. Positioning is key in this game. Every time you lay letters down, you need to be spelling at least one word horizontally and one diagonally.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a 50 point bonus for using all my letters in one turn today. First time I've ever done it. I crushed my opponent with ease.

D-R-A-I-N-A-G-E

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
played "quay" for 52 points and still lost bad a few weeks ago. Haven't been able to summon the urge to play again.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my 6th grade class's activity period, we played scrabble for the last 30 minutes of class every day, in teams of two. The teacher had some quality plastic boards, though, which had a grid to hold in the tiles, like a full size version of travel Scrabble boards. It made it much easier to put the game away and continue it later. We even had a copy of the official Scrabble Dictionary.

I still remember my best victory in Scrabble. It was a close game, the bag was empty, and all we had left were C, F, and K, along with maybe 2 other tiles. So me and my teammate are scratching our heads for a bit, when I notice an open U. I whisper to my teammate that I see an opening, and he's not so sure we should do it at first, but we went for it
fistbump.gif
, landing **** with a triple word score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

The two girls on the opposing team, of course, tells us we can't write that, and one of the girls raises her hand to tell the teacher. I wasn't worried, though, because I happened to know the word was, in fact, in the official dictionary. (Several classmates I had checked it previously, along with every other dirty word we could think of). Anyway, the teacher comes over, and after seeing the word on the board, she tells us we should put down a different word. I defended our position arguing that we could not see any other words (I think all we had left were consonants), especially for triple word score, and after looking at our letters to try to help she sees we're right. She then said she normally wouldn't allow it, but my partner and I were mature enough to use the word
bigstar[1].gif

One or two turns later it was over, and the girls weren't able to recover from the triple ****.

P.S. I did a little research to make sure I had the facts right, but after searching the online version of the Official Scrabble Player's Dictionary, the word "****" didn't turn up any results
eh.gif
. I knew there must be some explanation, though, so I sought out the answer to preserve the credibility of my Scrabble story. I was surprised to find out that the current edition of the Official Scrabble Player's Dictionary is censored
censored.gif
, but the first two editions were not
teacha.gif
Also, Hasbro still sells a School Scrabble kit like the one my teacher had, which includes six deluxe boards, an official dictionary, and a few other things. It's a shame they don't sell those deluxe boards on their own.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
It's a shame they don't sell those deluxe boards on their own.
They do sell the deluxe scrabble boards on their own, its called scrabble deluxe, I has it. Before my grandparents lost the plot I used to play against my grandfather, which was pointless. A combination of a medical background, a life travelling in the last days of the empire and a high quality classical education meant he regularly came up with words using all the worst letters simultaneously that no one else had heard of and would have to be searched for at some length in the largest dictionary available. He would sit their quietly confident, and then occasionally criticize the definition given by the dictionary " it's not a Burmese knife used to ceremonially slaughter cattle during the full moon, that's a .... this is used exclusively to slaughter goats" He would regularly go all out using these obscure words and often finish with several times what anyone else scored, and the rest of my family are not exactly stupid. It was the only game he would play apart from boggle (which ended up much the same) and he never lost, it did make family gatherings a little frustrating sometimes. It is however an awesome game, and I get childlike joy trying to get swear/obscene words in.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
I play scrabble about 2 times a week with my wife. We are both pretty good. You can always spot a terrible scrabble player who thinks complicated words are best. Positioning is key in this game. Every time you lay letters down, you need to be spelling at least one word horizontally and one diagonally.

Pretty sure you don't get points for words spelled diagonally.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCRachel