• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saphir Shoe Care Reviews & Experimenting on Berluti Loafer with pics, Renovatuer, Renomat, & more

shoelove

Reaction score
Hello All!
I have been reading and lurking on SF for a few years now. I thought I would finally post some pics and Saphir reviews for all to see. I picked up an old pair of Berluti whole-cut loafers online a while back and had fun experimenting with them. I tested out many different shoe care techniques with pics below.
Enjoy!

1. As purchased. The soles were in great shape, the upper was a bit neglected.

2. ****** Kiwi Polish Job!!! My first polish job using Kiwi Neutral wax and old ignorant techniques.

3. Stripped. and conditioned with Shelper's shoe cream. I know the following may make some cringe, but after trying several techniques (rough rag, Renomat, & both) The suede brush (below) and Shelper's All-Pupose Cleaner & Conditioner have produced outstanding resulting. I have not seen any damage whatsoever about 5 different types of shoes. It usually takes 3-4 scrubbing sessions with the brush&conditioner followed hot water wash off, wipe off, and inspection to achieve a complete stripping.

4. Gloss Shined. Here they are gloss shined with Saphir Renovatuer conditioner as a base 3-4 coats, Saphir neutral polishing wax 4-5 light coats of wax on the entire shoes, and 3-4 extra light coats for the toe gloss shine.

5. Shined up Berluti Loafer compared to new unworn Berluti Gaspard.

6. Gloss Cracks. Yes, the gloss coat will crack, even when extra light on the folds. Just brush a few times and continue; folds are a fact of life.

7. Back to Matte! I never really wanted these loafers to be shiny anyway. This time I tested Saphir Renomat. I definitely prefer the suede brush w/conditioner technique. Renomat was very slow and required a great deal of time, elbow grease/strength, and a rough rag. As can be seen it will suck the color right out. I used this fact and antiqued the toes to my liking!

8. Finished! Renovatuered and brushed. This is what I prefer in the end for this pair. It was fun the entire time getting back to here.

Last edited:

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Well done.

I am too scared to strip off old polish so I would take the cowardly (and ineffective) route of piling polish on top of old polish.

I wish there was a really good show polisher in Sydney. At the moment I am having to send my shoes off to Melbourne to et polished.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you used less Renomat and a softer touch, would the wax come off but the color stay? I need to strip some wax off an old pair so I can re apply it but I don't want the color coming with it.

shoelove

Reaction score
The Renomat seams to disolve the first little layer of wax. It then gets really gooey. If you I wanted to use it again I would use a large old rag (specifically a rough old towel) and most the bottle of Renomat. I would get it dissolving then Use a clean or rather just dry section to wipe away the goo and repeat. That being said I wouldn't use it again. I tried it on both a very built up old John Lobb (not pictured, but classic lots of wax buildup) and on the glossy Berluti pictured which as you can see does not have any buidup.
I am no pro but i recommend the brass suede brush tecknique. It works wonderfully. If you do use this tecknique use a very liberal amounts/tons of a cheap conditioner. This provides an excellent lubricant.

shoelove

Reaction score
I don't know if a "softer touch/less Renomat" would make the color hold faster. What I describe above would definitely control the process much better. I am positive that most of the color loss is due to the patina coloring Berluti uses. I am willing to bet a very nice solid color shoe maker/leather would not lose color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads