• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Santoni FAM: What model and is it a good deal?

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a couple of FAM's that I realy like, 180US inc shipping seems like a steal to me. But then you dont have 25%VAT as I do ...

Seems like a versitile shoe, I would not hesitate ...

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You did good for a nice brown cap toe, good year welted I'm pretty sure, for under $200. Based on the pic, it appears to be a non-serrated FAM model, and I would think goes for about $700 full retail, with the serrated edge FAMs retailing above $900. This shoe might be a Euro release as Danielle's boutique seems to carry many of those.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
You did good for a nice brown cap toe, good year welted I'm pretty sure, for under $200. Based on the pic, it appears to be a non-serrated FAM model, and I would think goes for about $700 full retail, with the serrated edge FAMs retailing above $900. This shoe might be a Euro release as Danielle's boutique seems to carry many of those.
I just realized I bid without even knowing the width. Shoot. I'm freaking oer here. What is the difference between the US and the Euro releases? And why are serrated that much more expensive?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I just realized I bid without even knowing the width. Shoot. I'm freaking oer here.

What is the difference between the US and the Euro releases?
And why are serrated that much more expensive?

It's probably a D width, so unless you are a B or some hard fit, you should be fine.

I think the leather on the serrated edge might be better and so is the finishing. When I say "Euro release," I mean it isn't a model I've seen in the U.S. Granted, I can't claim to know all the models Santoni releases in the U.S., but it doesn't look like something I've seen on their website. Doesn't necessarily indicate lower quality as FAMs are well made generally whether serrated edge or not.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought this shoe from Danielleboutique last year and you did extremely well at that price. While they are the not the top of the line FAM (they are blake-stitched and NOT goodyear welted), what kind of shoe can you get today for $180?

I sold mine because they were a bit big (you should be fine if you wear 8 D/E) but it's a very elegant last. The leather is very nice with a bit of burnishing at the toe (at least mine was). A classic shoe for which you got a great price. Here is a pic of the ones I sold:

img3124wa8.jpg

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I was hoping to experience a goodyear welt. I suppose I'll have to keep hunting for those. They sure are perty so I hope they fit well. I'm excited I think. Did you treat and wax yours first before wearing them out or is that unnecessary? I was considering doing that and putting taps on them.
Originally Posted by EL72
I bought this shoe from Danielleboutique last year and you did extremely well at that price. While they are the not the top of the line FAM (they are blake-stitched and NOT goodyear welted), what kind of shoe can you get today for $180? I sold mine because they were a bit big (you should be fine if you wear 8 D/E) but it's a very elegant last. The leather is very nice with a bit of burnishing at the toe (at least mine was). A classic shoe for which you got a great price. Here is a pic of the ones I sold:
img3124wa8.jpg

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Oh I was hoping to experience a goodyear welt. I suppose I'll have to keep hunting for those. They sure are perty so I hope they fit well. I'm excited I think.

Did you treat and wax yours first before wearing them out or is that unnecessary? I was considering doing that and putting taps on them.

I didn't wear as they were too big and I sold them but you don't need to wax or treat them imo, unless you want to.

I think these are very good $300 shoes so you really can't go wrong at $180. You don't need to have welts on all shoes and some sleeker shoes look better without a welt imo and are no less durable if you take care of them.

Wicky

Reaction score
I think it's a steal for Santoni. However, this is definately not an Euro release (or maybe a model of more then 10 years ago). Compared to the Santoni's sold in the US the Santoni's here are much bolder, brighter in color (e.g. Whisky, cognac, dark red or very dark blue) and more flashy with a very slim last.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wicky
I think it's a steal for Santoni. However, this is definately not an Euro release (or maybe a model of more then 10 years ago). Compared to the Santoni's sold in the US the Santoni's here are much bolder, brighter in color (e.g. Whisky, cognac, dark red or very dark blue) and more flashy with a very slim last.

It's definitely a European Santoni (and not a 10 yr old style either). You can usually tell them by the multi-colored sole and mine came in a box with price sticker in EUROS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads