• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco - 3 days - restaurant suggestions?

dqm45

Reaction score
After seeing the LA thread, I was certain there would be one for SF as well, but if it exists, it's surprisingly well hidden.

I could use some help figuring out where to eat and drink in the 3 days that I visit. I have been there a few times for work, but never really ventured to any good restaurants. I'm trying to find good brew pubs, restaurants (not particular about cuisine), and bars, preferably near SOMA. And at least one restaurant in Sausalito with a view. In terms of price, I'm looking at places in the $$$ range. Places that appear to be interesting are Rintaro, Novela, and Bourbon & Branch.

Is it too much to ask in SF that I'm looking for places where I don't have to line up? :)

Thanks very much in advance!

rmc

Reaction score
After seeing the LA thread, I was certain there would be one for SF as well, but if it exists, it's surprisingly well hidden.

I could use some help figuring out where to eat and drink in the 3 days that I visit. I have been there a few times for work, but never really ventured to any good restaurants. I'm trying to find good brew pubs, restaurants (not particular about cuisine), and bars, preferably near SOMA. And at least one restaurant in Sausalito with a view. In terms of price, I'm looking at places in the $$$ range. Places that appear to be interesting are Rintaro, Novela, and Bourbon & Branch.

Is it too much to ask in SF that I'm looking for places where I don't have to line up? :)

Thanks very much in advance!

Skip Novela, Bourbon & Branch is a MUST (Wilson and wilson is the secret bar inside B&B if you can get rez). For food: San Tung(dried fried chicken wings), The House, The House of Prime Rib(HOPR), Liho Liho, State Bird Provisions, Swan Oyster Depot, Sotto Mare, Golden Boy Pizza, PPQ Dungeness Island. Those are the highlights...hope that helped.

dqm45

Reaction score
Skip Novela, Bourbon & Branch is a MUST (Wilson and wilson is the secret bar inside B&B if you can get rez). For food: San Tung(dried fried chicken wings), The House, The House of Prime Rib(HOPR), Liho Liho, State Bird Provisions, Swan Oyster Depot, Sotto Mare, Golden Boy Pizza, PPQ Dungeness Island. Those are the highlights...hope that helped.
Thank you! Liho Liho looks to be just the kind of bar I'd like to check out.

rmc

Reaction score
Thank you! Liho Liho looks to be just the kind of bar I'd like to check out.

No prob...also I forgot to add that theres a "secret bar" downstairs of Liho Liho called the Gen Gen Room.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a long time resident of the Bay Area, if you want the new and hip, then go to SF Eater for the latest trendy place https://sf.eater.com/maps/best-new-restaurants-san-francisco-oakland-berkeley-heatmap

If you want classic or old-school that is a very different list and experience. I'm going to generalize here but the new and hip will be a lot of tech guys, the classic and old school will tend to be some locals with a wide variety of international visitors who have researched the classic SF restaurants and are making it a special night.

I highly recommend that you visit the Ferry Building for drinks if not dinner at Slanted Door (perfect Bay view, modern Vietnamese food and great cocktails) or https://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/merchants/boulettes-larder-bouli-bar/ for exceptional food. Hog Island for oysters and a glass of wine is also another option.

It would be a shame not to try at least one old school SF local such as Tadich grill for seafood, House of Prime Rib (you can guess what they serve there), or go for breakfast to the Buena Vista Cafe for steak & eggs and an Irish coffee. After all, you can get fancy hipster food in any major city in the US.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Brew pubs in the area you can check out 21st amendment and Mikkeller. Food there is standard bar/brewery, I'd get food elsewhere. There's an American Grilled Cheese Kitchen across the street from 21st amendment.

As for Sausalito it is such a small city, you can walk along the water and pick a place to eat. I've eaten at a few places there and nothing was really memorable. You can check out Eater or Yelp to see what's good. I do recommend riding a bike across the Golden Gate Bridge there if you're with a significant other.

dqm45

Reaction score
As a long time resident of the Bay Area, if you want the new and hip, then go to SF Eater for the latest trendy place https://sf.eater.com/maps/best-new-restaurants-san-francisco-oakland-berkeley-heatmap

It would be a shame not to try at least one old school SF local such as Tadich grill for seafood, House of Prime Rib (you can guess what they serve there), or go for breakfast to the Buena Vista Cafe for steak & eggs and an Irish coffee. After all, you can get fancy hipster food in any major city in the US.

But, I like hipster. :D
You're right about old school restaurants. Thank you for the Slanted Door suggestion. I'm looking for seafront view restaurants.

For Brew pubs in the area you can check out 21st amendment and Mikkeller. Food there is standard bar/brewery, I'd get food elsewhere. There's an American Grilled Cheese Kitchen across the street from 21st amendment.

As for Sausalito it is such a small city, you can walk along the water and pick a place to eat. I've eaten at a few places there and nothing was really memorable. You can check out Eater or Yelp to see what's good. I do recommend riding a bike across the Golden Gate Bridge there if you're with a significant other.

I've been to 21st Amendment. My office is fairly close. Thanks for the tip on Sausalito.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an old massive post from a long time ago. But time for stream of consciousness! Some of these are obvious/famous, some maybe not. I haven’t been eating out/exploring the city as much as I used to.

RTB (really impressed food wise, staff has great pedigree)
Benu
Zuni Cafe (roast chicken, raw bar)
Liho Liho (game hen, homemade spam)
Pacific cocktail haven
Smuggler’s Cove
Californios
Monsieur Benjamin
Petit Crenn
Atelier Crenn
Golden Gate Bakery egg tarts
Kusakabe
Spruce (their new burger bun is trash though)
Khin Kao
Lers Ros
Swan oyster depot (cash only)
In Situ
SPQR
Tartine Bakery (salted rye cookie, banana creme)
B Patisserie (kouigin amann)
Sightglass coffee
Capo’s (best pizza)
Little Dom’s
St Frank’s Coffee
Boba Guys
Delfina (get the tripe)
Sotto Mare (cioppino)
Monk’s Kettle (burger, beer)

Sausalito food esp with view is pretty garbage from my experience. Sushi ran is okay I guess, no view. If you want to eat with a view, fisherman’s wharf type places are probably better.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always eat at Kokkari Estiatorio (https://kokkari.com/) which is close to the water and the Levi's building. It's Greek (duh), and also sorta the place that old bourgeois San Francisco eats, with the prices to match. In any case, if you want some comforting food after a long day, their moussaka is what that doctor ordered. Also, you will probably not have to stand in line (I see you Swan...), and you will be able to have a decent conversation without the next table a literal 6 inches from you (if I wanted to eat with a bunch of strangers at a communal table, I'd visit a prison - and I see you, every single ramen place). Finally, and definitely not a trivial consideration, you won't have to eavesdrop on someone pitching their startup that will disrupt the nail salon business, or whatever.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kokkari kind of fell off, but I haven’t been in a little while.

dqm45

Reaction score
I have an old massive post from a long time ago. But time for stream of consciousness! Some of these are obvious/famous, some maybe not. I haven’t been eating out/exploring the city as much as I used to.

HLAY
RTB (really impressed food wise, staff has great pedigree)
Benu

Sausalito food esp with view is pretty garbage from my experience. Sushi ran is okay I guess, no view. If you want to eat with a view, fisherman’s wharf type places are probably better.

Thanks! So many I hadn't heard of while searching. I meant Fisherman's wharf, not Sausalito.

I always eat at Kokkari Estiatorio (https://kokkari.com/) which is close to the water and the Levi's building. It's Greek (duh), and also sorta the place that old bourgeois San Francisco eats, with the prices to match. In any case, if you want some comforting food after a long day, their moussaka is what that doctor ordered. Also, you will probably not have to stand in line (I see you Swan...), and you will be able to have a decent conversation without the next table a literal 6 inches from you (if I wanted to eat with a bunch of strangers at a communal table, I'd visit a prison - and I see you, every single ramen place). Finally, and definitely not a trivial consideration, you won't have to eavesdrop on someone pitching their startup that will disrupt the nail salon business, or whatever.

Lol...this describes exactly how I feel! Having to worry about elbowing the diner next to me every time I raise my glass is not my idea of a relaxing evening out. I'll have to see if I can fit it in.

So many suggestions. Much appreciated!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads