• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saks Sale visit

Bellum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MORNINGSTAR777
Is this response a joke? Why would you ever want working button holes on a RTW jacket? And single vent is a preference. In reply to the original question of what makes Hugo Boss bad, I would say for the price of the suit you could get an overall better made piece although it might not be the cut you're looking for (EG: Polo Ralph Lauren)

I think this video of his suit explains the response.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1...orvideo032.mp4

oroy38

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
No working sleeve buttons, horrid fabric, giant armholes, single vents, unflattering cuts, single vent only.

I have yet to see any working sleeve buttons on RTW jackets. The armholes on my Hugo Boss suit are not huge, I don't see anything wrong with single vents (though they do make Boss suits with doubles), the fabrics aren't "horrid" as you claim, and I would hardly say that the cut on my Hugo Boss suits are unflattering. You seem to believe that "slim" is a universally better cut, where as clothes that just fit one's body type will always look better than something labeled "slim." And for the price, I'd be hard pressed to get 2 suits for less than $1500 at a better price and fit than my 2 Jam/Sharps. All I see in your post is preference and opinion.

Bellum,
I did look at the Polo Ralph Lauren suits, and you are right, they were not the cuts I was looking for otherwise I would have probably shelled out a few hundred more bucks and picked up one of those instead. But on the whole, these being my first designer suits from a higher end house than what I'm used to, I'm very satisfied. I know that my Hugo Boss suits aren't anything spectacular, but their cuts fit my body very well (athletic build), especially since I don't like suits that are "very" slim but rather follow the contours while still having very good drape.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oroy38
I have yet to see any working sleeve buttons on RTW jackets. The armholes on my Hugo Boss suit are not huge, I don't see anything wrong with single vents (though they do make Boss suits with doubles), the fabrics aren't "horrid" as you claim, and I would hardly say that the cut on my Hugo Boss suits are unflattering. You seem to believe that "slim" is a universally better cut, where as clothes that just fit one's body type will always look better than something labeled "slim." And for the price, I'd be hard pressed to get 2 suits for less than $1500 at a better price and fit than my 2 Jam/Sharps. All I see in your post is preference and opinion.

Bellum,
I did look at the Polo Ralph Lauren suits, and you are right, they were not the cuts I was looking for otherwise I would have probably shelled out a few hundred more bucks and picked up one of those instead. But on the whole, these being my first designer suits from a higher end house than what I'm used to, I'm very satisfied. I know that my Hugo Boss suits aren't anything spectacular, but their cuts fit my body very well (athletic build), especially since I don't like suits that are "very" slim but rather follow the contours while still having very good drape.

RTW with working sleeve buttons that I have seen: Brioni, Armani BL, Armani Colezzioni, Emporio Armani, Jil Sander, Borreli, etc. Seems to be the high end RTW that has it.

oroy38

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
this is wrong.

Indeed he is wrong about the single vent only statement. When I was purchasing my suits I tried on several double vent Hugo Boss suits that were of slightly more conservative cuts.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To get this thread unjacked, I offer this up - I'm sitting in the Boca Raton Saks right now and things appear to all be at least 50% off full retail. I'm fondling this light gray cashmere RLPL sportsjacket that's still $1800 or so - someone get me this for B&S prices
cry.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads