• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sake Hot/Cold

_ABB_

Reaction score
Hello,

All of my life I have been a Sushi eater and have always enjoyed a flute of sake on the side. That said, I always order hot sake and really don't know what makes one sake better than another.

Do you take your sake warm? Cold? How can I differentiate good sake from bad?

Cheers!

sake.jpg

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
complexity of taste, tasting notes, etc. some styles are better hot, others cold. it's similar to tasting wine.

also, only people who don't know sushi drink sake with sushi.

nub.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only had sake when warm. It counters nicely with a cold martini.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
beer and green/barley tea

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by _ABB_
What do you typically drink with Sushi?
Green tea or water. I believe the Japanese practice that you shouldn't eat rice with sake. Which I don't quite understand, as sake is made from fermented rice.

_ABB_

Reaction score
Very interesting -- maybe too much rice for 1 sitting
smile.gif

Thanks for the advice!

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Green tea or water. I believe the Japanese practice that you shouldn't eat rice with sake. Which I don't quite understand, as sake is made from fermented rice.
it is because they are too similar in taste. contrary to popular belief, good nigirizushi is decided more by the rice than it is by the fish. good fish is sourced from the same location and it's far easier to slice a good piece of fish than it is to prepare the rice and form it properly at the right temperature

arced

Reaction score
Originally Posted by _ABB_
Do you take your sake warm? Cold? How can I differentiate good sake from bad?

Cold or cool. Heating, in my opinion, kills the flavor. I'd rather think of it as more similar to a beer (limited shelf life and vastly better when cold). If you really want to taste the flavors, drink it room temperature. It's really a shame that almost all Americans think that sake (sah-kay) is a hot beverage -- it's probably because your average sushi place serves a mediocre sake that doesn't lose much when heated.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arced
Cold or cool. Heating, in my opinion, kills the flavor. I'd rather think of it as more similar to a beer (limited shelf life and vastly better when cold). If you really want to taste the flavors, drink it room temperature. It's really a shame that almost all Americans think that sake (sah-kay) is a hot beverage -- it's probably because your average sushi place serves a mediocre sake that doesn't lose much when heated.
wrong. some sake are better served warm because the flavor notes only open up after having been warmed enough. it's not sah-kay either. it's sah-keh

arced

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
wrong. some sake are better served warm because the flavor notes only open up after having been warmed enough.

it's not sah-kay either. it's sah-keh

Sure, some are better, but the vast majority are better served cold. As for the pronunciation, I just trying to get people away from the American pronunciation (sah-kee/key), which, unfortunately, is now in the dictionary.
eh.gif

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arced
Sure, some are better, but the vast majority are better served cold. As for the pronunciation, I just trying to get people away from the American pronunciation (sah-kee/key), which, unfortunately, is now in the dictionary.
eh.gif

sorry, also not true. warm sake has a depth that cold sake often lacks. it is completely dependent on the style and flavor profile. to say that the vast majority are better cold just shows that you really don't know sake.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads