• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sacrificing Short Term Pleasure for Long Term Success?

MosDefinite

Reaction score
Clothing and having a unique style is very dear to me, but considering my current lifestyle and goals I feel like it will set me back. Because I plan on pursing a very challenging career to become a physical therapist, and I want little to nothing to deter my level of focus in accomplishing that goal. Right now I'm not doing the best I can to say the least, and in regards to priorities I know what needs to be done. Ideally I see myself with a great paying career I love, while being able to splurge on the things I'm most passionate about. Such as dressing well. This is where my problem begins. I like buying clothes a lot but I know if I stop wasting money and begin to save while investing in my future, things will pan out a lot better. Currently I've been working on keeping my wardrobe very minimalistic, in my closet I have about 4 button-downs, 3 polos, 3 jackets, 3 sweaters, 2 pants, 2 jeans, 5 pairs of shoes and 1 coat. My assembly is very versatile and good for most situations, except the most formal of ones. Such as a professional interview or something of that nature. So I know in due time I'll have to invest in dressier clothing, but for now I'm fine. Now I know I can do things to further balance out my needs and wants like budgeting my money but I'd rather not. I've always been a fan of quality and budgeting a small income like mine just to continue buying cheap and decent quality clothing or "struggle splurging" for the good stuff doesn't seem worth it. Yes there are great sales all the time with good promo codes to help, but I guess I just want to live a very carefree yet financially conscious lifestyle. Where I don't have to wait for the things I want and buy them whenever I feel like it. So my question is should I continue to "budget" my money and accumulate good wardrobe pieces over time, or just work with the solid foundation I have and save my money while pursuing my career? To eventually reap the benefits of my hard work later. By the way, clothing isn't my one and only love so it's not like I'm choosing to make myself completely miserable for 7+ years. There's no way I'll survive then lol. Wisdom and honesty are always appreciated. Thanks.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That doesn't sound adequate. Not even a sport jacket? What about dating? A larger, fresher rotation generally is desirable for that, to help not come across as staid. However, probably no more shoes are needed for a while.

MosDefinite

Reaction score
Sports jacket nah. I've thought about it but I don't see a need because I don't plan on entering the dating scene any time soon. Plus trying to find the right size for them off the rack or buying one to get tailored can be a annoying and expensive task. So once again I'd rather not. Just focused on my goals.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads