• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rubato

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious why you say this thread has taken a sinister turn, Fad P. Critical, yes, but why sinister?

Loupetlapin

Reaction score
This thread took a sinister turn.

Personally, I wouldn’t compare Rubato with Berg&Berg, as I think they are far superior in quality and style. Bryceland, yes—even if I prefer the quality of Rubato’s knits.

The price hikes, in general, have been a bit out of control for the past couple of years. But that applies to almost all brands that I buy, and I suppose a big reason is the increasing costs of materials, manufacturing, and transportation. However, I feel somewhat like a boiling frog, as one day I found myself considering buying a sweater for $1000.
Price hikes up to a point are fine, it is understandable. However, be transparent and don‘t tell me it is to pay government duties (which do not exist).

henrip

Reaction score
Ha, maybe a bad word choice. But it seems like all the excitement for the brand got deflated overnight.
It sure seems like that but I can totally understand the dissappointment in pricing. The US prices seem absurd and the explanations have been weird. I’m lucky that the EU prices are still the same…

Swedes like to aim high and they are very interested in branding and creating hype. I guess Rubato’s future target is somewhere in Stoffa and Saman Amel like world where single customer is happy spend 10k€ per year.
Who knows…

Coastal Ivy

Reaction score
Interesting. Brycelands doesn't come to mind when I think of Rubato, Berg Berg does.

Brycelands is not actually that exhorbitant in terms of pricing. Himel made jackets for pretty much the cost of a Himel. Their most recent leather jacket is $2400 USD ($250 below Himel). Their denim and denim western shirt are comparable to RRL pricing and various Japanese boutique brands.

Berg Berg and Rubato, on the other hand, strike me as a ummmm, a little like a more affordable Stoffa in some ways, and selling the much lauded Japanese denim to a CM crowd of guys who might feel like they are out of place browsing Self Edge, in other ways.

Buying a pair of denim from Berg Berg and Rubato is insanity. And their standard lambswool sweaters... well O'connels already covers them.

Rubato selling a nylon/poly web belt with 20% (maybe) cordovan similarly priced or more expansive than a 100% cordo belt from Alden or Carmina??

Interesting, I consider brycelands and rubato Jeans roughly equal because they're both MIJ. I'm assuming they're both raw and of comparable quality but that's an assumption, happy for you to tell me otherwise..

I think the value proposition for the old pricing on rubato vs O'Connells or j press shaggy dog would be the cut of the garments (shorter in the body, wider in the chest, slimmer in the waist). A cut I do personally like and looks good on my body.

This same principle applied to what I thought was true for the cut on the pants (higher waist, a little but not too much room in the seat, and a straight leg that wasn't slim or too wide).

Again, happy to be told I can find that styling somewhere else!

I can't comment on brycelandsco leathers as I haven't really looked in to it but it seems like you've done some research and they're fairly priced. I think it's a little bit of a stretch to consider RRL a good value prop. Sure they have the design elements on lock but the manufacturing leaves a lot to be desired compared to brycelands or other Japanese boutiques.

hrv123

Reaction score
Welcome to the what us Canadians regularly see when items ship DDP. Items manufactured in EU are duty free in Canada with no limit and should be charged only 13% tax. These DDP companies ignore that and just blanket charge 30-40% and obviously pocket the balance. I've stopped buying from companies that have implemented these things like Rubato, NMWA, etc. Even if the brand/store is not intentionally doing this, there is an unintended consequence on losing out on sales. Canada is a small market so probably makes no difference, but I imagine this will hurt Rubato as the US market is obviously huge.

Iskander

Reaction score
The snobbery attitude that Rubato has been undertaking to "maintain" their branding is borderline ridiculous.
This is what bothers me on their instagram. I guess it's fine to post art and attribute the creator, but it seems too far to paste your brand logo within the image. Makes it seem like they are claiming it or associating it with themselves in some capacity.
I don't know, it feels kind of icky to me to use someone's art in your marketing without their permission.
Screenshot 2024-04-09 144041.png

Last edited:

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
Rubato's quality is similar to Bryceland's. I have both jeans, knits and denim shirts (Roper and Sawtooth). I like the cut of Bryceland's jeans (133 vs Lot 1) slightly more, but in terms of quality, they feel comparable.

I live in Europe, so I can't comment on the pricing issues in the US, but if it's true that DDP companies are pocketing the difference perhaps that should be brought to the attention of Rubato. They might fail to understand the differences in the tax system in the US or Canada relative to Europe, they are a small brand after all.

LorenzoOeste

Reaction score
Rubato's quality is similar to Bryceland's. I have both jeans, knits and denim shirts (Roper and Sawtooth). I like the cut of Bryceland's jeans (133 vs Lot 1) slightly more, but in terms of quality, they feel comparable.

I live in Europe, so I can't comment on the pricing issues in the US, but if it's true that DDP companies are pocketing the difference perhaps that should be brought to the attention of Rubato. They might fail to understand the differences in the tax system in the US or Canada relative to Europe, they are a small brand after all.
Several of us in the US have brought this to Rubato’s — Carl and Oliver’s — attention. I know I did, via the Rubato support team, beginning on March 28. To my knowledge there’s been no response directly from either Carl or Oliver, and no reply or statement from anyone representing Rubato that makes any sense. They are likeable guys so their very poor / nonexistent communicating over these past two weeks has surprised me.

Iskander

Reaction score

Several of us in the US have brought this to Rubato’s — Carl and Oliver’s — attention. I know I did, via the Rubato support team, beginning on March 28. To my knowledge there’s been no response directly from either Carl or Oliver, and no reply or statement from anyone representing Rubato that makes any sense. They are likeable guys so their very poor / nonexistent communicating over these past two weeks has surprised me.
I emailed customer service about it as well and they've also had numerous instagram comments pointing this out. Their response to me was basically, "nevertheless, this is what we're doing."

Meanwhile, prices on a few things have crept up even further the past couple of days.

I kind of hope they see this thread because they need a bit of a reality check. I know Oliver used to be active on the forum.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
I mean at this point I agree with some of the previous comments in this thread. It seems they’re chasing a wealthy clientele like Drakes or Saman Amel or the Armoury where 300 vs 400+ for some chinos don’t make a difference to a person.

If they can still sell them at 400+, I’m happy for them, I just won’t buy anything from them anymore (like how I stopped buying Drakes new) and I assume they’ve factored people like me into this decision. So they’ll become a cool brand, that I can’t afford like many others.

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
I mean at this point I agree with some of the previous comments in this thread. It seems they’re chasing a wealthy clientele like Drakes or Saman Amel or the Armoury where 300 vs 400+ for some chinos don’t make a difference to a person.

If they can still sell them at 400+, I’m happy for them, I just won’t buy anything from them anymore (like how I stopped buying Drakes new) and I assume they’ve factored people like me into this decision. So they’ll become a cool brand, that I can’t afford like many others.

It would be a shame if they were to happen. Here in Europe, they are still competitively priced relative to quality. Slightly cheaper than Bryceland’s, much cheaper than Drake’s (that is now only affordable for me under their archive sale).

Skyfall@07

Reaction score
So the measurements for the Rubato lot 1 ecru in size 31

Waist 41cm
Front rise 30
Back rise 38,5
Thigh 32,7
Thigh 10cm down from the crotch 29,5
Knee (30cm down…) 24
Hem 20,6 (last 16cm of the inseam is completely straight and hem width doesn’t change)

And size 32
Waist 42,5
Front rise 31
Back rise 38
Thigh 33,5
10cm down… 29,7
Knee 25
Hem 21,3

And the way I fold the jeans for waist measurement
View attachment 2140309
Hi, do you normally wear 32” waist pants for other brands? I’m trying to work out what size to get. I’m normally a 32”, which is about 17” half waist when I measure the pants waist.

henrip

Reaction score
Hi, do you normally wear 32” waist pants for other brands? I’m trying to work out what size to get. I’m normally a 32”, which is about 17” half waist when I measure the pants waist.
I have jeans in size 31 to 34. My advice is to check the measurements of your favourite pair and find the closest one from Rubatos measurement chart. I’ve stopped caring what the size tag says…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads