• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rory Duffy: The Unmaking of a Coat

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, serious question then (to put you on the spot): When you go out of your way to organize trips for foreign tailors to visit the US, and round up clients via SF, do you pay what everyone else pays?

Is it a big deal if he doesn't? My tailor gives me a discount on my order if I bring him a new client, and I don't have a blog.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well, serious question then (to put you on the spot): When you go out of your way to organize trips for foreign tailors to visit the US, and round up clients via SF, do you pay what everyone else pays?

Yes. Steed takes me out to dinner sometimes, but we rotate on who pays. If they paid last, I pay next, and so forth.

Mina from NSM once bought me an espresso when we went to a cafe. Justin from Ascot Chang once gave me a free shirt, but this was after I gave him a Drake's tie for Christmas. I'm pretty sure it was his way of "evening out the score."

One tailor recently offered to give me a discount in exchange for helping promote him (and organizing his trip here). I declined.

I'm not saying I've never received a discount from a brand or store. Some stores have discounts that they give to journalists, and sometimes brands give things for free to review. But it's never in exchange for a positive review (I've had a bunch of brands get upset at me for giving a tepid or bad review). It's also never in exchange for promoting them outside of reviews.

I write for PTO, and our policy there is that we return or donate anything we get for free. That policy has been in place now for a year or so, and I've adhered to it.

Last edited:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No good can from this thread, but I cant resist. Please proceed...
lurker[1].gif

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a big deal if he doesn't? My tailor gives me a discount on my order if I bring him a new client, and I don't have a blog.

No. I guess my point is that I don't really find it problematic if the folks who go out of their way for tailors get 'deals'. I'm fine with it...

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No. I guess my point is that I don't really find it problematic if the folks who go out of their way for tailors get 'deals'. I'm fine with it...

Do you think they have an obligation to their audience to disclose the relationship?

Last edited:

fassbinder

Reaction score

Ok. You don't get the point. Glad your tailor doesn't trade in IQ. Enjoy your bliss...

no you don't get the point. so let me spell it out for you. if andrew had simply said initially I have no experience with Rory, he seems like an interesting guy, I'm going to make a video about him in exchange for a,bespoke jacket, i'm excited to see how it turns out--I don't think you would be getting this reaction. instead it was hyperbole about the only true savile row master tailor in New york and if you want a suit there is nobody finer for the price, etc.

Last edited:

carpu65

Reaction score
Unfortunately my tailor not accept photos or videos in payment,only money.

Ok. You don't get the point. Glad your tailor doesn't trade in IQ. Enjoy your bliss...

Oh,
I believe that the point was this:

Originally Posted by dieworkwear
Wait, so you received a free suit in return for secretly shilling for a tailor, and then turned around and sold your videos to ASW -- effectively doubling your profit? And you're mad because you couldn't squeeze more out of your work? So now you're shaming the tailor?

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh,
I believe that the point was this:
Wait, so you received a free suit in return for secretly shilling for a tailor, and then turned around and sold your videos to ASW -- effectively doubling your profit? And you're mad because you couldn't squeeze more out of your work? So now you're shaming the tailor?

First, NOBODY received a suit. DID ANYONE ACTUALLY READ THE POST!!!!

Second, here is my point:

Guy to tailor: "how much for a suit"

Tailor: "4k"

Guy: "Ok, btw, I make videos..."

Tailor: "how much do you charge to make videos...?"

Guy: "4K?"

Guy makes video. Tailor does not make suit.

carpu65

Reaction score
no you don't get the point. so let me spell it out for you. if andrew had simply said initially I have no experience with Rory, he seems like an interesting guy, I'm going to make a video about him in exchange for a,bespoke jacket, i'm excited to see how it turns out--I don't think you would be getting this reaction. instead it was hyperbole about the only true savile row master tailor in New york and if you want a suit there is nobody finer for the price, etc.

This sound right,i agree with you.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
the same way we define a shill in the real world. why would it be different in e-menswear? "Shill" typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that they are an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller for whom they are secretly working. This is precisely what andrew did in the original thread (http://www.styleforum.net/t/340084/rory-duffy-bespoke-a-savile-row-master-tailor-in-nyc), trumpeting Rory's skills without initially revealing the nature of their commercial relationship. Now Andrew is falling all over himself to explain to us in gruesome details the nature of that very commercial relationship.

Ah, for some reason, I was never under the impression that he was paying for the coat (perhaps I'm a cynic). And it always seemed like he was pushing himself and his videos and that Duffy was being pushed as well is just incidental. That he went on to sell his videos to ASW and got all hot and bothered when Duffy also posted his videos suggests that this was what he was doing as well.

Regardless, yeah, I thought that it was clear from the outset Montauk got a free jacket. Guess I was wrong.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This sound right,i agree with you.

No, you miss the point COMPLETELY!

My point is not what "was supposed to happen", or what would have been the right thing "to happen". My point is about what ACTUALLY happened.

Two people made a deal. A ****** deal by all of your accounts, but a deal nonetheless. One person got what was promised. One person did not.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy