• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL Raleigh Boots

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cannot answer your question, but these have been available off and on at GVH for some time, for much less.

Edit: not *much* less after the additional 30% off.

Flursheim

Reaction score
Tough call. Let me explain......

I've worked on projects with RL designers before and I know they always seek the best companies to produce their OEM products. I own several boots from RL in the past that were simply top notch BUT I never had to pay the full price for any of it. If you don't mind paying that kinda price and this is more a fashion thing that anything else, go with the Raleighs but consider kaxixi suggestion about looking on GVH.

If this is meant to be used as work boots and you're gonna abuse it, go with the Beanies. I've also own a couple of LL Bean boots that I've literally put through the wringer and they've all held up well. If I am not mistaken, the original boots are from them.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flursheim;1594701 said:
Tough call. Let me explain......

I've worked on projects with RL designers before and I know they always seek the best companies to produce their OEM products. QUOTE]

Do you know who makes shoes in Italy for RL?

Flursheim

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't. I've been out of that part of the business for some time now. During my time, a good number of their boots were produced in England by a now defunct company called Playboy (no kidding).

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
Thoughts on these boots from RL? Better than Bean Boots?

RL duck boots

Bean Boots

Apples and oranges - the RL's are all leather except for the sole (I have an older pair of the low-cut version) and the LL's are all rubber except for the leather top. The RL's are not the best choice for wet weather whereas the LL's are made for that. The RL's look nice for styling around town.

Also, Bean will replace or refund the boots anytime and will refurbish them down the road. Obviously, RL doesn't. The 'Made in Maine' quality has been very good for a long time.

Catechumen

Reaction score
The two boots aren't even remotely comparable: Bean was designed for function, RL is designed for fashion.

It would be comprable to taking a Filson wool Mackinaw and then sending it off to Italy to be "updated" and made in a delicate cashmere.

If you want a boot to wear in rain, muck, and mire and then have the ability to have new bottoms attached in 20 years, get the Bean boot. If you want a boot that has the appearence of a Bean boot, with superior leather, but little of the functionality, get the RL boot.

I still have have the 12" Maine Hunting shoes I bought from Bean circa. 1986 - I've had them in field and snows from NJ to IAand the beer soaked wood floors of my fraternity house in between, and they are still serviceable. I wish it snowed down here just so I could wear them more down here in GA - there's a great feeling of invulnerability wearing them in bad weather and walking with indifference through slush, muck, and snow drifts. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing those RL boots - they're silly, imo.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance but what on earth are these remarkably hideous boots used for, they obviously have a practical use.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
Excuse my ignorance but what on earth are these remarkably hideous boots used for, they obviously have a practical use.

Either or both? Perfect for wet London weather.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads