• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resoling Shoes-Changing rubber to leather

sbrneu

Reaction score
I have a pair of ferragamo shoes with a rubber sole that has seen better days. Does anyone know if it's possible to get these resoled with a leather sole instead of the rubber? Thanks

gordon gartrell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbrneu
I have a pair of ferragamo shoes with a rubber sole that has seen better days. Does anyone know if it's possible to get these resoled with a leather sole instead of the rubber? Thanks

I tried to get the soles of some Rockports changed but was told no at the cobbler. Its a B-tch when those rubber soles are worn down and you are walking on wet marble.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get rubber soles topy'd.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gordon gartrell
I tried to get the soles of some Rockports changed but was told no at the cobbler. Its a B-tch when those rubber soles are worn down and you are walking on wet marble.
Umm...because leather has more traction than rubber?? you've made some bizarre posts since you joined.

gordon gartrell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Umm...because leather has more traction than rubber?? you've made some bizarre posts since you joined.

what is your definition of bizarre...the pretentiousness of some posters is quite bizarre. I'm just having fun and passing the day at work.

datasupa

Reaction score
Bizarre is using different font sizes for no apparent reason.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbrneu

A good repair shop should easily be able to convert rubber to leather or-- leather to rubber.

satorstyle

Reaction score
It will depend on the shoe. Most of rubber soled Ferragamo's are the Studio line where the sole is glued and not sewn in that case the shoes are basically disposable.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
lol.

?

The poster was complaining about a slippery rubber sole, after all. If you've got a worn rubber sole and want to retread it, slap a topy on it and you're done. $10 job.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by satorstyle
It will depend on the shoe. Most of rubber soled Ferragamo's are the Studio line where the sole is glued and not sewn in that case the shoes are basically disposable.

Not true......a leather sole can be Blake stitched on. If the shop does good work they will use premium leather even JR if it's available to them. They would also need to add leather heel bases.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
Not true......a leather sole can be Blake stitched on. If the shop does good work they will use premium leather even JR if it's available to them. They would also need to add leather heel bases.

Nick,
This would only be true of a Vibram/Dainite type sole, would it not. Nothing you can do with the molded/weltless type is there?

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Nick,
This would only be true of a Vibram/Dainite type sole, would it not. Nothing you can do with the molded/weltless type is there?

That's a case by case situation. Sometimes instead of Blake stitching you can stitch a "mid" or "slip" sole to the upper then stitch the leather sole to the mid sole. This process allows you to see the stitching on the outside border somewhat resembling a Goodyear welt.

raindance

Reaction score
@haganah: To me saying that to someone is sad....I can see how leather as opposed to rubber would be sensible from many angles. It's more earth friendly, it connects you to the earth (remember Rubber Soul?) and it's classier to use leather rather than rubber.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads