• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacing my summer wardrobe

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
So I was stashing away my summer clothing and decided to do check up on my wardrobe.
At the end of the whole thing I found myself with summer wear that didn't really work with my intended look.

So I'm redoing my summer wardrobe and would like some suggestions as to what should a classic, sophisticated gentleman have that works with contemporary styles but also works regardless of trends and fashion.

I'm 25 5'9" 180lbs Dark Brown hair & eyes, classic parted hairstyle, athletic with broad shoulders and strong a jaw line with pale white skin.

What I used to wear in summer/hot weather:
Cargo Shorts
Brown Leather Sandals
Short sleave crew neck shirts, solid or a small design

Sometimes I would wear Khakis or Jeans, but used to get weird looks when I wore shoes.

Since I'm starting over, what style should I go for?

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
I'd just like to ask who gave you weird looks for wearing shoes? Just because it's summer doesn't mean you need to wear sandals. Honestly I shouldn't have a say in it, since I'm biased against sandals on most occasions.

Perhaps a white linen suit? I'd just throw that in there as my "summer" suit, if I had one.

Shirt wise, I'd suggest the occasional button-up, but more of a casual one..maybe even short sleeve (or sleeves rolled up). Something slightly loose, that is thin, and breathes well. I have a lime green shirt like that from express (not that i'm saying express is honestly any good..but the shirt was like 20 on sale) works fine.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
I hate this question. Do you really want others to tell you how to dress? Is that how you think it works? Style is your own thing. If the question was "what are some good summer items to pick up" then I'd say to definitely pick up some boat shoes and a pair of cotton shorts that don't go below your knee. For tops, I like to wear BDs with rolled sleeves.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A khaki cotton blazer or suit would probably fit in with your look.

Definitely invest in some casual cotton button-up shirts. JCrew is my first pick. You can get some decent shirts for cheap when they're on sale.

Instead of sandals, try boat shoes or mocassins. Still light and summer-y, but a step up from sandals. Also, some vans classics or slip-ons might be a good addition.

EDIT: How could I forget... Polo shirts.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
I hate this question.

Do you really want others to tell you how to dress? Is that how you think it works?

This seems a bit harsh. I don't think his query is that out of line.

How about a few pairs of linen pants (e.g., tan, light brown, off-white, pale blue) with linen or linen blend shirts in complementary colors? Move beyond sandals to some light brown or tan lace ups (I have several pair of Allen Edmonds I wear that work nicely). A cotton seersucker suit is useful in that you can separate the pants and jacket for additonal versatility.

Look for light weight but well made pieces (without lining if you can swing it) in breathable fabrics like linen, cotton, and wool.

My 2 cents.

goodlife

Reaction score
Linen is good, as is seersucker and lightweight chino, but I like a very light colors like cream, tan, grey, or olive instead of white. It stays celaner and doesn't stand out so much. I like white and bold colors (pastel and primary) of pants and odd jackets in these same fabrics.

Other Ideas:
- very light weight demin
- cotton/linen long sleved button down shirts (like a summery OCBD)
- polos
- bucks, suede loafers, boat shoes, and old-school sneaks

I do not really wear sandles, and avoid shorts on all but the hottest days

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People gave you weird looks for wearing shoes? Do you live in a trailer park? Or alternatively, a state school?
devil.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak

Style depends on how you wear clothes, how you put things together, where you are in life, etc. What works for George Clooney doesn't work for Ashton Kutcher (trust me, I have seen Ashton Kutcher wearing clean, classic styles and he just looks out of place).

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a set-up for ignorant people to make fun of image consulting? Age, location, hobbies, a description of what's worn during the rest of the year - that kind of information is needed to give much of an answer. Linen, polo shirts, and button-front shirts are safe recommendations, but they don't make a style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads