• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

xiaopigu

Reaction score

Same here.  I was under the impression that is normal store policy?

Yea, that's what I thought too. I was surprised when they said I need to order and pay for it in advance. I mean, I could always do that and return it if I wanted too :p. I did try a pair of size six mocs with regular dress socks and they fit very snugly. But if I want to wear wool socks too I don't think they'll fit. When I wear wool socks with my 1ks my 1ks are at their limit. Any more and it would be very uncomfortable. And the 1ks are wider than IRs.

But most importantly, due to the weaker Canadian dollar, gravity pope is selling IRs around $70 cheaper than the msrp on the red wing website.

SilchasRuin

Reaction score
Quick question, guys - I am on the cusp of 10.5D/10.5E on a Brannock, and generally wear 10.5E in Allen Edmonds, which is comfortable and a wee bit spacious.

Alden 403s fit me really well in a 10D.

I am looking to get a pair of Red Wing 875s. Should I stick to 10.5D or go down 1/2 size, as recommended on their website, to 10D?

TIA!

Tweedboy

Reaction score
Hi Xiaopigu, I don't think you'll have a problem. I have a high instep and after a very short break in I find my Iron Rangers very comfortable. They were tight to begin with, but I found that the leather gave very quickly.

xiaopigu

Reaction score
Hi Xiaopigu, I don't think you'll have a problem. I have a high instep and after a very short break in I find my Iron Rangers very comfortable. They were tight to begin with, but I found that the leather gave very quickly.
Did you go a half or one size down from your brannock?

Tweedboy

Reaction score
Sorry I don't know my Brannock size but I got the same size as I did for alden Indy boots and all my other redwings. I would regard this as going down a half size from my dress shoe size. Sizing down a whole size seems a lot to me. I'm a Uk 7 in some things and a 6.5 in the stuff than tends to run big. I can't imagine wearing a 6 in the iron ranger especially with boot socks. Hope that helps.

s1rrah

Reaction score
My Brooks Bro Iron Rangers were getting a bit dark and mucked up both from trying various leather treatments and also doing some flooring work in them (which I should not have done) ... LOL ...

So I gave them a few super violent scrub downs with a stiff brush and saddle soap ... and it *completely* changed the look of them once they had dried ... way more really light areas and with cool dark brown highlights here and there ...

Dig that darker leather around the seams ... I've seen some folk do this to their IR's but using different color shoe polishes ... this was just from washing/scrubbing them. The Brooks Bro IR leather is really strange the way it changes colors ...

Shazb0t

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of 8119 Oxblood Mesa Iron Rangers from my local Red Wing store in size 8.5 D. I tried the 8 EE in Amber Harness and they were too wide. Seems like 8.5 D was my best fit after all. They look awesome!

In case it helps anyone, I ended up exchanging the 8.5 D for an 8 D. After they broke in a little, I had some heel slip that wasn't going away. The 8 D is very snug when new but locks my heel down. I am going to break them in and hopefully the snugness will turn into fitting just right. I am a 9 length and 9.5-10 heel to ball on a brannock. So my experience is that you should definitely try a full size down from you brannock and see how it feels before just going with the normally recommended half size down. Like me, you may find a full size down fits you best.

s1rrah

Reaction score
In case it helps anyone, I ended up exchanging the 8.5 D for an 8 D. After they broke in a little, I had some heel slip that wasn't going away. The 8 D is very snug when new but locks my heel down. I am going to break them in and hopefully the snugness will turn into fitting just right. I am a 9 length and 9.5-10 heel to ball on a brannock. So my experience is that you should definitely try a full size down from you brannock and see how it feels before just going with the normally recommended half size down. Like me, you may find a full size down fits you best.

x2 here.

8.5's worked for me but the toe was really long in front ... 8D's fit like a glove without the clown toe.

azcodito

Reaction score

In case it helps anyone, I ended up exchanging the 8.5 D for an 8 D.  After they broke in a little, I had some heel slip that wasn't going away.  The 8 D is very snug when new but locks my heel down.  I am going to break them in and hopefully the snugness will turn into fitting just right.  I am a 9 length and 9.5-10 heel to ball on a brannock.  So my experience is that you should definitely try a full size down from you brannock and see how it feels before just going with the normally recommended half size down.  Like me, you may find a full size down fits you best.

I'm a 12 in Nike, 11E in White's, 11.5D in Danner and a 10.5D in IR. I believe their "state of the art" foot measurer is crap. It told me to go with a 11.5EE I asked for an 11.5D and kept going down from there until my toes hit the front. That was a 10D. I tried on a 10.5D and called it good. The salesman almost didn't let me leave. They were a little rough on the break in but they fit like gloves now.
I think the IR is one of the most mis-sized boots out there.

nycbhoy

Reaction score
Quick question. Have two pairs of iron rangers. Probably five or so years old. Can I put a winter / commando sole on them? Find them to be pretty slippery in the bad weather. And if so, can anyone recommend somewhere to get it done in New York? Cheers in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s1rrah

Reaction score
Quick question. Have two pairs of iron rangers. Probably five or so years old. Can I put a winter / commando sole on them? Find them to be pretty slippery in the bad weather. And if so, can anyone recommend somewhere to get it done in New York? Cheers in advance.

Yes.

Just contact Redwing and let them know you want to send your Iron Rangers in for a resole and that you want them to resole them with the same sole that comes on the Redwing Roughneck boot. It will cost you about $100 and will take about a month round trip.

Here's the Roughneck boot so you can see the sole I'm talking about ... I think it's what you want ..., it's the same sole that came on my Brooks Bro Iron Rangers ... ..

Best,
Joel

Caligari

Reaction score

Get the Vibram 430 like on the 8119. The Roughneck sole is ridiculous and destroys the whole design aesthetic of the boot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads