• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red dryness around the nose

kookydooky

Reaction score
I have some sort of dry irritated looking skin on the sides of my nose and between my eyebrows (which has slight bumpiness too).

Whats the best way to get rid of it. very few months of the year it seems to clear and look nice but for the most part it seems to just come back which annoys me.

Greggers

Reaction score
Congratulations -- you could have eczema!

A particular brand, seborrhoeic dermatitis, has been my cross to bear for some time, and what you've described sounds similar. If you do have seborrhoea, the good news is it's treatable and, for the most part, controllable, and as chronic conditions go, it's better than incontinence. The bad news is inflamed, peely skin is just not a good look. Not sexy. But then you probably already knew that.

Of course, you could have any number of other eczema conditions, and the most prudent course of action is not to listen to some jagoff on an internet message board, but to bite the bullet and see a dermatologist. Her or she will probably prescribe some kind of topical cream to take the inflammation down during flare-ups. For what it's worth, I find a cream called Elidel to be effective, and it gives me a (likely false) sense of security knowing I'm not getting the side-effects that come with corticosteroids like Cortaid.

supercarl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
I have some sort of dry irritated looking skin on the sides of my nose and between my eyebrows (which has slight bumpiness too).

Whats the best way to get rid of it. very few months of the year it seems to clear and look nice but for the most part it seems to just come back which annoys me.

This could be psoriasis, I suffr with the same symptoms.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by supercarl
This could be psoriasis, I suffr with the same symptoms.

Doubtful. Have you been diagnosed by a doctor? No insult intended with this question.

If this dryness is spontaneous, with no history of trauma to the area, then it's most likely eczema. You need to simply get some over the counter cortisone cream and apply a couple of times a day for several days. This should clear up. Stuff like vaseline is very helpful as well.

You need to also look at environmental stressors - like allergies and overall psychological stress - and try to reduce them.

juniper

Reaction score
Yum! Fungal infection.

I use a prescribed shampoo which is for scalp issues, but seems to work on the face. The cream I was prescribed didn't seem to work.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Greggers
Congratulations -- you could have eczema!

Of course, you could have any number of other eczema conditions, and the most prudent course of action is not to listen to some jagoff on an internet message board, but to bite the bullet and see a dermatologist. Her or she will probably prescribe some kind of topical cream to take the inflammation down during flare-ups. For what it's worth, I find a cream called Elidel to be effective, and it gives me a (likely false) sense of security knowing I'm not getting the side-effects that come with corticosteroids like Cortaid.

Great medication.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Lay off the nose candy. Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics