• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reccomend me a shoe...

JSleek

Reaction score
So, I need a new pair of shoes. Desperately. My budgets around 100 dollars, or less... I dont wear dress pants very often, its normally jeans, so something that works with good jeans is best.

Also, whats with all the hate on square toes? Is it the simple fact that a lot of people wear them that makes them so unbearable?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. square toes are not elegant, it's an ugly ugly trend, like ed hardy.

2. use the search button, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum.

3. once you're done with step #2, come back and post again asking for opinions on "this shoe vs. that"

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSleek
So, I need a new pair of shoes. Desperately. My budgets around 100 dollars, or less... I dont wear dress pants very often, its normally jeans, so something that works with good jeans is best.

Also, whats with all the hate on square toes? Is it the simple fact that a lot of people wear them that makes them so unbearable?

Square toes aren't sleek at all. They're just unflattering.

What kind of shoes are we talking here?

JSleek

Reaction score
I actually have searched a lot...

I found a lot of options...
Here are some ones I liked so far...
Guess Rover
GMROVER-BLKPA-RF.jpg

Nice twist on standard converse perhaps?

These:
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...ushpush&color=

6219-513083-p.jpg

_DSC0294_detail.jpg

Annndd my favorite...

DASS-MZ30_V4-BIG.jpg

Too bad I cant find that last pair anywhere in my size. I even contacted revolve clothing to special order but nope
frown.gif

I dont mind dressier shoes too, but nothing too fancy. I don't really wanna walk all over campus in dress shoes...but dress casual could work.

datasupa

Reaction score
How about some square toed sneakers. Be a trendsetter.

Also, if you like puma then superfuture is place you want to be.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chuck Taylors. I got my first pair this weekend for $25 new and they are the best sneaker I ever had.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
1. square toes are not elegant, it's an ugly ugly trend, like ed hardy.

These square toes are not inelegant at all...

Hayes_TG73.jpg

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
These square toes are not inelegant at all...
Those sit more on the "chisel toe" side of things, since the tip has been pared down enough to stay somewhat true to the foot's natural shape. The line between chisel and square toe may seem vague and fuzzy, but it really is helpful for separating shoes like those from the likes of Mr. Cole and Skechers. The hate for square toes mainly aims at the frankenstein shoes you usually see young professionals wear on the DC metro, etc. Aaaaand, to be actually relevant to the thread, my faves are the black and white shoes with the leather upper (PFs?). You'll have a hard time keeping the guess shoes versatile, and the garish gold logo on Pumas may send the dreaded "brand whore" signal to some people. The black/white shoes will go with the most outfits while remaining slightly low key.

dziner82

Reaction score
As far as the square toes topic goes, its merely a matter of opinion, if you like square toes then buy them, beauty/style is in the eye of the beholder and you should have the overall say on what you want to wear.

with that said, i agree that i do not like clunky spatula-like square toes, but more tailored tapered squares can be nice (similar to what vitaminc posted, and you can find ones with that toe character in a much more casual vain). But i would never chastise someone for liking something that i don't.

Based on what you have posted though i'm not sure why you are even asking about square toes, unless you simply omitted square toes AFTER learning that most people on the board do not like them.

All of the shoes you have posted are nice, dassler puma's being the most unique, the guess 'chucks' are cool too, but not enough differentiation for me to like them over regular chucks.
confused.gif

FatMod

Reaction score

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not feeling those Narrative Pontos :-/ . The wearer will look like he has beaks at the end of his feet. Quack.

gmku

Reaction score
I love brown suede casual shoes with jeans. Also waxed brown leather. I'm going for one of the Clarks desert boot/shoe choices, meself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads