• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rebuilding my style: a new phase in life.

Jamesyb

Reaction score
Help me rebuild my style. Years ago I did dress well? Erring on the side of preppier but Pacific north west. Think brown monk straps, navy blazers with wool pants and textured ties. But with a power dressing slant.

At the time I was working in a bank in a sales role. After gaining weight. Years of juggling school work and now a new family I let all that fall by the wayside and find myself poorly dressed and slubbish.

I can throw an acceptable summer outfit together for work but that's where it ends and I lack modern inspo.

I know how to fit clothes, pant lengths, what to button and what to unbutton etc.

Help me make a style for the current era. Something congruent to my personality which has changed significantly in the past seven years since i was last well put together! When I've rocked the preppier suit look I know feel like an interloper of sorts.

As background: I'm a social worker and counsellor in health so I need to be warm and friendly looking, full suiting is not common place or really well received by a lot of my vulnerable clientele. Additionally I deal with a lot of death and severe trauma so power dressing and excessively vibrant colours are not necessarily appropriate.

I'm early 30s with a wife, dog, and 1 year old. Despite my bleeding heart liberal career I fish, hike, mountain hunt, and am generally more of an outdoors bent person, but do enjoy the finer things. Wife is a LEO and I am unionized so financially we are stable but our town is very pricey so luxury brands are out of reach for now.

What's happening for professional but less formal these days?

My thoughts were more along the lines of something like looser but decent quality wool cardigans/fairisle sweaters, thicker plain and 'dull' button down oxfords, thicker but neat amd fitted pants, and rocking the slightly rougher dress shoe/boot, ie like red wing blacksmiths thus still having the low profile sole, suede brouges, etc. But not giving off the "workwear" vibe. Occasionally I'd do the navy blazer or greyish wool sport coat.

I'm otherwise clean shaven, shorter typically roughly parted hair, caucasian.

Is this style out for now or does this seem on point enough. What's in or coming up for fit right now (ie shirt fits, pant fits, jacket fits).

RJG

Reaction score
I like the warmth of a fair isle sweater, but in your case - your line of work - it too could be overly festive.
Why not a thick cable knit though? Like this.
You could still wear some nice dark brown dress shoes w/ this.
This website has some inspiration, but what do you see yourself wearing?

cableknit.PNG

Jamesyb

Reaction score
I like the warmth of a fair isle sweater, but in your case - your line of work - it too could be overly festive.
Why not a thick cable knit though? Like this.
You could still wear some nice dark brown dress shoes w/ this.
This website has some inspiration, but what do you see yourself wearing?

View attachment 896777
I do like that quite a bit. I'm bigger both in having extra fat but also am quite broad shouldered and strong.

I guess I kind of know what i want to go for but am looking for fits/trends/ideas and inspiration. It's amazing how a few years can take you from clean cut to polos and runners so gradually

RJG

Reaction score
You might look at some online and print material for inspiration. This website (of course) is a great help to me.

But consider a copy of 'Esquire the Handbook of Style : A Man's Guide to Looking Good' (2009, ,hardcover) for some classic / iconic looks as well as some insight to mens tailoring and fashion. I refer to this book a few times a year.

I've read 'Dressing In The Dark' by Marion Maneker too.
I came away with mixed reviews of that book, but overall it made me put in some extra .02 before heading out the door.
https://www.amazon.com/Dressing-Dark-Lessons-Style-Movies/dp/2843233615

Frump Free

Reaction score
Help me rebuild my style. Years ago I did dress well? Erring on the side of preppier but Pacific north west. Think brown monk straps, navy blazers with wool pants and textured ties. But with a power dressing slant.

At the time I was working in a bank in a sales role. After gaining weight. Years of juggling school work and now a new family I let all that fall by the wayside and find myself poorly dressed and slubbish.

I can throw an acceptable summer outfit together for work but that's where it ends and I lack modern inspo.

I know how to fit clothes, pant lengths, what to button and what to unbutton etc.

Help me make a style for the current era. Something congruent to my personality which has changed significantly in the past seven years since i was last well put together! When I've rocked the preppier suit look I know feel like an interloper of sorts.

As background: I'm a social worker and counsellor in health so I need to be warm and friendly looking, full suiting is not common place or really well received by a lot of my vulnerable clientele. Additionally I deal with a lot of death and severe trauma so power dressing and excessively vibrant colours are not necessarily appropriate.

I'm early 30s with a wife, dog, and 1 year old. Despite my bleeding heart liberal career I fish, hike, mountain hunt, and am generally more of an outdoors bent person, but do enjoy the finer things. Wife is a LEO and I am unionized so financially we are stable but our town is very pricey so luxury brands are out of reach for now.

My thoughts were more along the lines of something like looser but decent quality wool cardigans/fairisle sweaters, thicker plain and 'dull' button down oxfords, thicker but neat amd fitted pants, and rocking the slightly rougher dress shoe/boot, ie like red wing blacksmiths thus still having the low profile sole, suede brouges, etc. But not giving off the "workwear" vibe. Occasionally I'd do the navy blazer or greyish wool sport coat.

Is this style out for now or does this seem on point enough. What's in or coming up for fit right now (ie shirt fits, pant fits, jacket fits).

Hi Jamesyb,
What about the Wolverine 1000 Mile boot in brown leather? They are not cheap but, in terms of cost per wear, they seem versatile and appropriate for your job. Just as sharp looking co-ordinated with wool trousers as with jeans. They would look good with the dark green sweater suggested by RJG.

I visited NoLita, a very hip neighborhood of downtown New York City last October: the Luxe Lumberjack vibe was quite ubiquitous, particularly within this creative neighborhood of fashion forward fellas. They rocked quality Americana pieces with an edge. You can do what I do: While out and about on your daily routine, take inspiration by observing guys whose personal style you admire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads