• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Really good tailors in the San Francisco Bay Area

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm ISO a *really* good tailor in the San Francisco Bay Area. You know, someone who you can take a Kiton jacket to and feel at ease? Someone who knows how to do functional buttons on a sleeve well. Etc.

Any recommendations?

rogerm

Reaction score
Jon Minor on Geary Street always gets a nod.

I took some stuff to him and this guy really knows his stuff. He does work for Wilkes Bashford too. He charges the same as department stores, and he's the best I know of. The bay area is a wasteland for tailors, and Jon is the best. He can also be a little cranky because he's overworked too.

-R

Reaction score
As I received no replies to an earlier post on the matter - I thought I would follow-up in this thread on my experience with Jon Minor.

He is a little chatty during the fittings and 1 hour worth of work took over 3.5 (for only 7 pants, 3 sportcoats) , prices reflect the lack of competition (i.e. $20 to hem pants, $20 per button-hole on sportcoats ($160/jacket), $65/jacket to have light shaping done on sportcoats) - which though high compared to New York I don't have much to compare to in SF.

The significant downside was that his minimum estimate for time for the work was 4-6 weeks, and he was unable to give a specific date that he could commit to even at the far end of the spectrum. Nor was he able to stagger the work and finish some items earlier. Unfortunately, he told me this at the end of the fitting.

As a result, I'm carrying everything with me on the next trip to back to NY to have done there. Not great detail but hopefully the pricing and time commitment (both in the fitting, and to have the work completed) is helpful to some.

coatandthai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BringingSuitsBack
He is a little chatty during the fittings and 1 hour worth of work took over 3.5 (for only 7 pants, 3 sportcoats)

OMG, you had to spend 3.5 hours at the tailor? I would have **** my wrists.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
BringingSuitsBack said:
As I received no replies to an earlier post on the matter - I thought I would follow-up in this thread on my experience with Jon Minor.

He is a little chatty during the fittings and 1 hour worth of work took over 3.5 (for only 7 pants, 3 sportcoats) , prices reflect the lack of competition (i.e. $20 to hem pants, $20 per button-hole on sportcoats ($160/jacket), $65/jacket to have light shaping done on sportcoats) - which though high compared to New York I don't have much to compare to in SF.

QUOTE]

That's roughly the same rate that I pay Macchione at Macchione Custom Tailor on Market Street. Good skill in run-down premises and takes about two weeks for sleeve buttons.

southgate house

Reaction score
I take everything to Andreas Gorges tailoring at 110 Sutter near Montgomery. The prices are slightly lower than you quoted ($15 for pant hems), and I have always been very impressed by his work. For most of my major alterations (installing working sleeves buttons on a new OTR suit, or taking in the back and neck) he usually does one fitting, then bastes the suit, then does another fitting before the final alteration is made. He is also very friendly, and does made to measure. The location is convenient to anyone who works around Montgomery.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the feedback - it would be terrific to be able to develop a relationship with a local tailor - I'll look into both and report back (if there is hope that one is open on a Sunday, I'll report back next week)

My thanks again

oh - and yes, it pushed the limits of my goodwill to make smaill talk for that long (at least without a drink or meal)

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He fit you for 3.5 hrs and then you took the jackets/slacks elsewhere?? Or am I misreading?

DandySF

Reaction score
For alterations, Victor Tailor is one of the best tailors in San Francisco. He's right next to Wilkes Bashford. His number: 415 397 6312. He does work for many of the high-end stores that don't have in-house tailors. He can typically turn things around in about a week or so.

Reaction score
After the fitting he was so vague on the timeframes (at six weeks I've mentally moved over to a MTM garment and not - very - simple work being done) and unwilling to commit to a time that was even out past the six weeks (pointing to a jacket for which he had done buttonholes and commenting that he had needed it for 2 months) that I lost that good feeling of confidence that one wants when trusting one's clothes to a tailor

coatandthai

Reaction score
I go to Bob Stankovic in Menlo Park. He takes maybe 5 minutes (perhaps even less) to mark up an OTR suit for me (usually sleeves, a bit of a roll on the neck, waist on coat, pants waist and cuffs). Typically costs me ~$125. Am I not getting enough done? In other words, what could possibly take 3.5 hours??? Is there another, higher level of tailoring that one can get that is more along the lines of bespoke?

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coatandthai
I go to Bob Stankovic in Menlo Park. He takes maybe 5 minutes (perhaps even less) to mark up an OTR suit for me (usually sleeves, a bit of a roll on the neck, waist on coat, pants waist and cuffs). Typically costs me ~$125. Am I not getting enough done? In other words, what could possibly take 3.5 hours??? Is there another, higher level of tailoring that one can get that is more along the lines of bespoke?

The other original poster had multiple garments.

Your guy's prices are in the right area for OTR adjustments.

You could have him sew live buttonholes on the sleeves if you wanted to spend another $160-$200.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads