• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Anime thoughts.

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought and finished reading the entire Neon Genesis series. *smh* so far I don't really get the hype. Guess I'll watch it now.

phoni

Reaction score
I think I'm in the minority in that I am also unclear as to why Neon Genesis is regarded as a perennial Top 5 pick in most Best Anime Series lists. Might be because it's just far too angsty for my liking, and I did not care about any of the characters, at all.

Very good production values, but the story did not resonate.

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh the original Digimon is coming back as a set of movies
inlove.gif

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something I never understood was the use of changing an anime characters face from being all anime like, to a more realistic one. It seems they use this as a gag, but I don't get it. Someone please explain.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's this? An anime/manga thread?

Just read through the thread and it's cool to see the good taste that you folks have.

I've started watching anime on a semi-regular basis again. I'm currently watching whatever the local university club is watching - in this case: Gate, Death Parade and Yona of the Dawn (Akatsuki no Yona) - but I've missed the last couple of gatherings so I've been playing catchup as of late.

- Death Parade is an interesting take on death, the afterlife and reincarnation. It lends itself to a formulaic setup but it breaks the mold on occasion by focusing on the arbiters at times. Definitely the best of the three shows the club is screening right now.
- Gate panders towards the otaku crowd, but it does have an interesting premise with the clash between the real world and the fantasy-based, medieval-esque world beyond this magical gate that appears out of nowhere. The main character is for the most part a wish-fulfillment self-insert character who gets the job done, not to mention an otaku himself.
- Yona of the Dawn focuses on a weak, naive princess that slowly matures into a capable warrior once her way of life takes a sudden turn for the worst, with the help of her trusted friend/bodyguard and the band of warriors that join her cause. A decent female-targeted fantasy that has a good mix of humour, action and drama. The manga is coming out in North America next year.

I'm also trying to whittle down my huge Blu-Ray/DVD backlog. I recently finished G Gundam (good, dumb fun) and am trying to watch Gankutsuou (an alternate retelling of Alexandre Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo). I usually watch my backlog during dinner, 1-2 episodes at a time. However, catching up with the university anime club screenings and catching up with my Weekly Shonen Jump subscription has slowed me down considerably.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads