• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ran a mile with my son today

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been talking to my (8year old) son about running, and today we finally went to run a mile today. I thought that he wouldn't finish it, but he ran it very well. now I am screwed, because I promised him that I would race him a mile and give him 100 bucks when he could beat me, and I thought that it would take him months to be able to beat me. I think that in month or so he will be able to beat me in a 1 mile race.

I am very proud, cause he is usually a lousy runner. now he is excited about us running a 10K together

on a related note, I got him to do 41 chinups yesterday, in groups of 6. once a week I give him a quarter per chinup.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I've been talking to my (8year old) son about running, and today we finally went to run a mile today. I thought that he wouldn't finish it, but he ran it very well. now I am screwed, because I promised him that I would race him a mile and give him 100 bucks when he could beat me, and I thought that it would take him months to be able to beat me. I think that in month or so he will be able to beat me in a 1 mile race.

I am very proud, cause he is usually a lousy runner. now he is excited about us running a 10K together

on a related note, I got him to do 41 chinups yesterday, in groups of 6. once a week I give him a quarter per chinup.

That's excellent! It sounds like money well spent to me.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
That's excellent! It sounds like money well spent to me.

Agreed, hopefully you can ween him off the money soon and he'll keep excising cause he enjoys it.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Agreed, hopefully you can ween him off the money soon and he'll keep excising cause he enjoys it.

yeah, that's the plan. we have done a lot of bribing to get him to start things, and then we wean him off it.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great job. Chinups are a good exercise to start with because they are difficult enough, but easily accessible

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
Great job. Chinups are a good exercise to start with because they are difficult enough, but easily accessible

Yea, kids around that age (8ish) can have incredible strength to weight ratios, provided they aren't fatties. The gym I climb at has a few kids at that age that put most seasoned climbers to shame.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good job man. You both get health and some bonding time.

My dad made a wager with me as a kid, $100 if I could beat him at game of b-ball. Any time, just name it. I never won in 3 generous tries, but the hours I spent practicing and day-dreaming about what I could do with that big money was fun as a 13 year old.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
awesome. Does he do pushups as well?

yeah, he does pushups and sittups, but I find that chinups are just so ******* hard if you aren't in shape that I thought they would be a good marker for fitness. once a week we have him do pushups for 25 cents a piece, usually with no breaks. that forces him to practice all week. I let him take breaks this time because he had stoped for a while and I thought that he probrably wouldn't be able to do more than a dozen or so.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
good job man. You both get health and some bonding time.

My dad made a wager with me as a kid, $100 if I could beat him at game of b-ball. Any time, just name it. I never won in 3 generous tries, but the hours I spent practicing and day-dreaming about what I could do with that big money was fun as a 13 year old.

that's cool. a friend of mine's son just beat him at arm wrestling - his kid is 15. that will be an interesting day

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
great job GT, methink its a good start for a lifetime of good health for your son... hope he doesn't lose interest.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
got my son doing dips chins and pushups. also play him in horse for cash. i am making out like a bandit since he cannot hit lefty 25 footers.
lol8[1].gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That is awesome Globe, I'm seriously considering doing this for our boy, and maybe the wife as well. D is interested in running, but he only likes the races, not the training. Perhaps that will change, hopefully soon.

btw: I haven't done 41 chin-ups in my entire life, all totaled together.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My kids saw me once or twice doing pushups in the bathroom and now they often go on all fours and tilt their heads up and down with a big grin on their face. First time they did this, I cracked up for 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by Thomas
btw: I haven't done 41 chin-ups in my entire life, all totaled together.
+1. That's impressive

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
My kids saw me once or twice doing pushups in the bathroom and now they often go on all fours and tilt their heads up and down with a big grin on their face. First time they did this, I cracked up for 5 minutes.

+1. That's impressive

I girls saw my son and me working out with punching pads, so now they will come up to me and start punching me in the belly, it is very cute.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads