• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quest for a new wedding suit

finis

Reaction score
So I find myself about to enter a new stage in life and that the bride wishes me to look my best. My last suit was bought just after high school graduation and while it fits, I think I can move on to something better now. I went to some of the stores near my area and took the following pictures. Since I'm not expert in suit sizing or fit, these are just what the store attendants recommended on me. Was wondering what you guys think. I am trying to go for a slimmer fit look, but I must say the last one (40R) was definitely the most comfortable to move around in.

Store 1 38R

Store 2 38R

Store 3 38R

Store 3 36R

Store 4 40R

Thanks!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first suit seems to be feasible, with minor alterations. The last might be, too. The others clearly are too small. Whether any of them are quality brands/lines is unknown.

finis

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback GBR and mensimageconsultant. I really wanted to see what looks good on me before I talk about price or brand. I'm not fashion conscious, and this is really the first time I want to make an impression. In any case, I don't trust my eyes when it comes to fashion. And the store members all say those suit looks good on me. >_>.

In any case, those suits are:

Store 1 - Emporio Armani Davis Line
Store 2 - Hugo Boss
Store 3 - J Crew Ludlow
Store 4 - Canali

Looks like only the suits above $1000 are fitting ok? I've been reading this forum over the past week, and am pretty much suffering from information overload...

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The only information you need:

* Not sure if those are black, but I'd get navy, wedding or no. You'll be able to use it more often.

* Take a look at how the well liked outfits fit on the WAYWRN thread fit. No pulling at the button. No bowing of the lapels. The skirt of the jacket doesn't flare (if you see shirt beneath your button, the jacket doesn't fit). The jacket covers your ass. The shoulders aren't too big (Store 4's shoulders look about right)

If it's solid colored and those fit qualifications are all met, it's pretty hard to **** up.

finis

Reaction score
The only information you need:

* Not sure if those are black, but I'd get navy, wedding or no. You'll be able to use it more often.

* Take a look at how the well liked outfits fit on the WAYWRN thread fit. No pulling at the button. No bowing of the lapels. The skirt of the jacket doesn't flare (if you see shirt beneath your button, the jacket doesn't fit). The jacket covers your ass. The shoulders aren't too big (Store 4's shoulders look about right)

If it's solid colored and those fit qualifications are all met, it's pretty hard to **** up.
Thanks Claghorn

So looking at the pictures I've posted, am I correct in saying that all the stores are pulling at the button and flaring at the skirt?

I took a look at the latest 20 or so pages of WAYWRN thread. I like the way Monkeyface looks in http://www.styleforum.net/t/234255/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iii/63195#post_6686183. And I might not be communicating correctly to the store, but how do I get to the tapered look there with a slight space between arm and waist? Whenever I say I wish something more form fitting than boxy, the store attendant invariably gives me a smaller size jacket with a crease at the middle button.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Depending on your body type, it might not be possible with something ready to wear. Get something which fits you well in the chest and shoulder, then you'll need to take it to a tailor and have the waist nipped. Should cost around 30 dollars. I think...and I could be very wrong in this, especially as Suit Supply seems to fit many posters very well...that the vast majority of folks who post consistently well received fits are either wearing bespoke/mtm or rtw that has been altered to fit them.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Claghorn

So looking at the pictures I've posted, am I correct in saying that all the stores are pulling at the button and flaring at the skirt?

I took a look at the latest 20 or so pages of WAYWRN thread. I like the way Monkeyface looks in http://www.styleforum.net/t/234255/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iii/63195#post_6686183. And I might not be communicating correctly to the store, but how do I get to the tapered look there with a slight space between arm and waist? Whenever I say I wish something more form fitting than boxy, the store attendant invariably gives me a smaller size jacket with a crease at the middle button.

What you are looking for is "waist suppression" with no break in the jacket. But, they may still not understand that term. They might be more likely to understand "English tailoring" or "English silhouette." They still may not quite get it with that. I think you are better off to bring photos of what you want than to try to describe it. What stores are you going to? I took one of my groomsmen to purchase his suit for my wedding, and the salesman at the store (a lower end retailer, as that was his price range) talked him into having a large break in the middle of the jacket. The salesman seemed to think it was better style. I could not talk him out of it, but it was his suit, so it should look how he prefers (even if we would all disagree with him).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads