• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality wise, what are loake shoes comparable to?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried doing a search and couldn't find this, thank you.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The 1880 line is a solid, dependable, quite comfortable shoe. Leather is not the finest in the world but neither is it corrected grain and it's durable. Their brown burnished calf is quite nice IMO. Construction is goodyear welting but soles are not channeled. If bought at a reasonable discount (Loakes from pediwear attract an extra useful discount) they make a very good "rainy day" buy and that's mainly what I use my 3 pairs of 1880s for.

They have a sturdier "feel" and aesthetic to them than flashier shoes but on a damp day, that's kind of reassuring.

Not sure if that helps you at all in comparisons, but I think the 1880 line is a decent shoe, though clearly not on the same level as the more elite makers.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The only ones I have experience with are the Shoemaker level which Charles Tyrwhitt had for a while (not sure what they're offering now exactly). These aren't the top line ones. They are pretty solidly built with reasonably decent finishing. The leather is not very good, but at least on the brown pair I have, isn't plastic coated (people have said the black ones were seriously plastic grain corrected material). These are the cow leather ones though - they offer a higher line with calf leather and I am guessing the finishing on those is somewhat better.

I can't imagine these ever just falling apart, and I like mine, but the leather quality does leave something to be desired.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
The 1880 line is a solid, dependable, quite comfortable shoe. Leather is not the finest in the world but neither is it corrected grain and it's durable. Their brown burnished calf is quite nice IMO. Construction is goodyear welting but soles are not channeled. If bought at a reasonable discount (Loakes from pediwear attract an extra useful discount) they make a very good "rainy day" buy and that's mainly what I use my 3 pairs of 1880s for.

They have a sturdier "feel" and aesthetic to them than flashier shoes but on a damp day, that's kind of reassuring.

Not sure if that helps you at all in comparisons, but I think the 1880 line is a decent shoe, though clearly not on the same level as the more elite makers.

Thanks for the response, but just curious what is considered a good price for say the "Norwich"? Thank you.

billiebob

Reaction score
If that model is from the 1880 line, I would feel comfortable paying up to $150 for them. The 1880 styles are more interesting to me than allen edmonds shoes, which are available at the same price point on sale or from STP for certain models.

The non-1880 line is a significant step down in leather quality, but probably worth 80-120. Many SFers got 1880 shoes for around $100 in a big sale last year and also picked up the chelsea boots for 150. Unfortunately, the quality of the chelseas was not to many members liking!

When friends ask for a business shoe they need tomorrow, I suggest the 1880 black captoe at the $150 price point, then AEs.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrCool1978
Thanks for the response, but just curious what is considered a good price for say the "Norwich"? Thank you.

I have the Norwich in both brown & black. As has already been suggested, a solid shoe and at £75 not bad value either.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
If that model is from the 1880 line, I would feel comfortable paying up to $150 for them. The 1880 styles are more interesting to me than allen edmonds shoes, which are available at the same price point on sale or from STP for certain models.

The non-1880 line is a significant step down in leather quality, but probably worth 80-120. Many SFers got 1880 shoes for around $100 in a big sale last year and also picked up the chelsea boots for 150. Unfortunately, the quality of the chelseas was not to many members liking!

When friends ask for a business shoe they need tomorrow, I suggest the 1880 black captoe at the $150 price point, then AEs.

Agreed.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob

Yes it is an 1880. Where can I find them for $150? Thank you.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjl5000
I have the Norwich in both brown & black. As has already been suggested, a solid shoe and at £75 not bad value either.

Where do you sell them? Thank you.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No follow-up on my two questions? Thanks

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry bout that man am I blind.
smile.gif

VictorC

Reaction score
I always look to loake when buying shoes. But i did buy a loake oxford business shoe once and it was very uncomfortable. Kept giving me blisters whenever i wore them. I wore them about 5 times and then gave them to a charity shop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads