• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality At The Low End?

adamm411

Reaction score
Are there any low end merchandisers that offer quality? I remember 8 or 9 years ago, The Gap was a very reliable source of basics at a reasonable cost. Their prices have skyrocketed, and the quality is abysmal. Additionally, the cuts seem designed only for men who weigh 200+, regardless of clothing size.

I bought a ton of basics at Old Navy last year and was pretty pleased with the price/quality ratio. This year, prices are inching up, and quality seems to be going down--it's pretty much in line with the quality Gap clothing.

Are there any low end merchandisers that offer quality? I pick up an item here and there from Target, and while their quality has gone up noticeably, they can't seem to get cuts right: shirts too long, chests too narrow, whatever.

I'd love to be able to walk into a store, pick up some basics, not pay alot and know that it's going to fit right. I guess American Apparel is one alternative. Any others?

Adamm

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had some luck with H&M stuff. Just picked up a $25 hoodie at Old Navy that has become a go to for the past few weeks. At least until my 3 Spruce/W+H hoodie get here.
bounce2.gif

StevenRocks

Reaction score
At the low end, I'm pretty flexible when it comers to vendors. Target, Gap, H&M, JCPenney, Eddie Bauer, J. Crew, and Uniqlo all seem to offer decent value for the price.

The key things I do at the cheaper stores are to be particurally selective about what I buy (some stuff just doesn't work in a cheap version) and wait for things to go on sale (you can get things for practically nothing sometimes).

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
H&M and sometimes Target. I think the lack of H&M quality is exaggerated...it isnt the best, but it's as good as many mid level brands selling for 2-3x more

mendel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StevenRocks
At the low end, I'm pretty flexible when it comers to vendors. Target, Gap, H&M, JCPenney, Eddie Bauer, J. Crew, and Uniqlo all seem to offer decent value for the price.

What's Eddie Bauer fit like? What are they good at? I'd always had the impression that they were sort of marketing to the kind of person who listens to A Prairie Companion before taking their pair of Labs for a walk, so I've never really paid much attention.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H&M isn't bad, AA I can't quite say I like. Some say it fits them well, for me my waist is too small so shirts are too lose.

Old Navy and Gap sometimes work if you can size down. I am usually unable to because of my rather "large" upper body in relation to my waist.

Max

Reaction score
H&M is pretty good if you stay away from certain things. Their $10 polo shirts are made out of the most heinous polyester fabric. On the other hand, some of their jeans are entirely decent.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mendel
What's Eddie Bauer fit like? What are they good at? I'd always had the impression that they were sort of marketing to the kind of person who listens to A Prairie Companion before taking their pair of Labs for a walk, so I've never really paid much attention.
The fit tends to be generous, which I like, but they also offer options for people who like their clothes a little more fitted. Quality is really good for the price, and the return policy tends to be more than fair.

adamm411

Reaction score
Someone recommended I check out the sale racks at Banana Republic and The Gap in order to find better prices. I found a nice blue striped fitted button down shirt for $30 bucks at Banana Republic, so I'm pretty happy with it.

However:

1. It's more clear now than ever that all three stores carry a significant number of identical items, but that they inflate price by 2X or 3X at Banana Republic.

Ex: Last year, I bought a corduroy blazer at Old Navy for only 12 bucks (35? retail). I found an identical jacket at Banana Republic selling for 100 bucks. It's a slightly darker brown, with a lining, and it's slightly more structured, but come on, do these minor changes justify a 300% markup?

2. BR considers "fitted" clothing to be a specialty market. Their jackets and sweaters are too wide around the waist and through the sleeves. In the future, "plus size" clothing will be the norm, and "fitted" clothing will become the new specialty market.

3. BR shirts and jackets tend to have cleaner lines; less of the frumpy, unstructured look of Old Navy clothes. But BR shirts still don't have completely straight clean lines. By way of contrast, Express shirts are of a thicker cotton, have clean straight lines, and they all taper at the waist.

4. I didn't find a single item of appeal at The Gap.

Moral of the story: If you have to shop at this price point, be VERY selective.
Overall, I was unimpressed and give my overall shopping experience at Old Gap Republic Empire a grade of 'C.'

Adamm

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uniqlo is pretty decent for cheap.
I went to target today to see if I might be able to find a cheap button up to go drinking/partying in and saw that they have Cashmere scarves for men now. At $25 the quality is what is expected at the price, that being: Pretty ******. I swear it looked like someone attempted to machine wash them before they hit the shelves or something. The material was all clumpy and shedding on the rack.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Express' slim fits are huge! I would consider it rather loose actually. They did have a Super slim (not skinny) fit jean once but they didnt sell very well so they pulled them, even those were only what I would call normal slim. Why do I know so much about express? I first started my journey to where I am now (and am headed) a year ago when I shopped at express (which is rich man's clothes in my town, sad eh?). Since then my Style/Wardrobe has quickly evolved, a lot, Thanks to this forum and traveling overseas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads